How long can I run my laptop continuously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehacker

Hi,
My laptop is HP Pavillion dv4 1131tx.
I want to know that how many hours can I leave my laptop running continuously?
1.With lid open
2.With lid closed

and is it a good practice?

I read on some other forum that lcd of one's lapy stopped working after 4days of continuous stress. I dont have any work for keeping it on. I just have a thrill of keeping it on always and being online.

One more thing, I am a student.So, I dont want to take any risk,if any involved in this,although I have 4months warranty left.

Thanks in advance
Regards
TheHacker

Laptops have things like Hibernate, and Sleep modes that control the on time. If you like to keep your laptop powered on for days at a time, you will have to change the hibernate and sleep settings. Heat is a bad thing for laptop computers. If you don't use a cooling pad, or you don't keep a powered laptop off a bed or floor. You would do better by turning it off daily, say at least for 12 hours or so. It will last longer

standby and hibernate operate differently:
  • standby suspends the programs and keeps memory alive at the cost of battery drain
  • hibernate writes memory to the HD (hibernate.sys) and does a shutdown
A system can be held in hibernation as long as you want --
I use it on my laptop and perform a cold shudown/restart only about every 10 days.

This is not the same thing as running on battery only. The battery life is very dependent
upon the hardware and the features you are using.

First of all,thank you all for your help.

I dont want to keep my laptop just switched on.I want to be online on messengers all the time. Surely this is not possible by keeping my laptop ih hibernate or sleep mode.

If I run my lapy all the time,not in sleep or hibernate mode, how much the life of battery will be reduced? any quantitative idea for this??

Hi.

Well here's my advice. If you only want to keep it running because of the messengers you can do so with no risk whatsoever by using the power management options.

Create a power management profile that
sets the CPU speed to something like 600 Mhz;
set Monitor off and hdd off timers to whatever you like.
Make sure you prevent it from automatically going to "stand by" and "hibernate" state.

And thats it. CPU at that speed will run cool as ice. I bet the CPU ventilator will never even start.

I have set up a similar power management profile on my laptop which I have been using for years now, and I can assure you that your laptop can safely be left turned on for weeks.

And another thing, if you plan on leaving the laptop on for longer periods of time, let say more than 12hrs, you'll probably do a good thing if you remove the battery from it and run it on AC power only. That way you'll prolong the battery life.

shouldn't hurt anything, but it is good to reboot every once in awhile. Clean the fans etc...

Hi.

Well here's my advice. If you only want to keep it running because of the messengers you can do so with no risk whatsoever by using the power management options.

Create a power management profile that
sets the CPU speed to something like 600 Mhz;
set Monitor off and hdd off timers to whatever you like.
Make sure you prevent it from automatically going to "stand by" and "hibernate" state.

And thats it. CPU at that speed will run cool as ice. I bet the CPU ventilator will never even start.

I have set up a similar power management profile on my laptop which I have been using for years now, and I can assure you that your laptop can safely be left turned on for weeks.

And another thing, if you plan on leaving the laptop on for longer periods of time, let say more than 12hrs, you'll probably do a good thing if you remove the battery from it and run it on AC power only. That way you'll prolong the battery life.
Thank you much..just gonna try this. This seems to be a real good piece of advise. :)

And I cant run it on AC power,becoz here atleast 1 or 2times there is a power cut for 10-20seconds..duration doesnt matters but my lapy will go off suddenly.but i can tolerate that if it is safe for lapy;s health...

Thanks to others too for their time and help.

I created a profile. I set the maximum processor state to 30% as my proc is 2.0ghz. But the CPU-Z shows speed as 798.1Mhz and not 600mhz. Even if i play with the percentange,the speed remains constant as 798mhz. Whats the problem?? I cannot declock(if it is the right term) my proc below that??

Its not a problem if it runs on 800mhz. I mentioned in my post "something like 600MHz" 'cause that's the speed I managed to get out of my CPU which is a Pentium M 1.6MHz (first Centrino platform). So 800MHz is perfectly ok for your CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back