How to lock closet door?

Acespaces

I need to lock my closet door in my room in a way were i am the only one that knows how to get in there. Could anybody recommend something that involves maybe using a master lock (cause i have one handy) or any other kind of key/e.t.c.

:) Paint it the same color as your wall and take the doorknob off. No one will be the wiser.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Your request is peculiar at best and suspicious at least.

I need to lock my closet door in my room in a way were i am the only one that knows how to get in there. Could anybody recommend something that involves maybe using a master lock (cause i have one handy) or any other kind of key/e.t.c.

Have the person inside of the closet, lock it from the inside.;)

Just buy a keyed entry lock and replace the passage lock, (non locking door knob).

You know, like the lock that's on a front door.

Or is this supposed to be a secret that it's locked?

Or is this one of those deals where the lock has to be, "freeware"?

Paint a closet door in the middle of the wall. I promise if someone gets through that it will be amusing.

Wil E. Coyote will smash his face on the wall.....

That would be Wile E. Coyote :) in which case i think it would be a futility closet :D :wave:

/* edit */
@Acespaces
go to Home Depot. They're most likely to have whatever you need for whatever type door that is

Thank you guys for all of the help and also all the jokes. The reason I need to lock it is cause for the past year people have been taking all this crap like scissors and e.t.c out of my closet. So finally I need to close this thing up for good.

Put the closet in a safe and lock that. :rolleyes:

Somehow, this thread reminds me of some “freeware” I came across once, with which you could lock your folders and directories, so that nobody having access to your computer would be able to open them, or even see them actually. Before using it, I thought it might be wise to search for reviews. According to a post in a forum, it turned out that the tool was really shareware. After the trial period, you couldn’t unlock your stuff and had to buy the software at a ransom price.

I also remember my father, who used to hide things so well, that he could never find them at a later time.

Moral of the stories? Before making something inaccessible for others make sure it stays accessible to you.

Even if you install a new lock set on the door it will not be all that secure. If it is like most closets, it swings open outward, toward you. If so, the door hinges will be exposed on the outside. All someone has to do is tap out the hinge pins to get in.

in the hardware section at your local big box, there is a 'door hasp'. One side screws to the door, the other the wall/door frame. The wall side closes over the door side, hiding the screws so that they can't be removed without removing the lock first. When closed, you install your padlock and voila!

To avoid @mailpup's caveat, install said hasp/lock combo on both sides of the door, so it can't be removed even if someone pulls the hinge pins. Keep a set of huge bolt cutters hidden under your bed, because you'll need them when you lose the key.

Or you could try hiding your 'scissors' in a ziploc bag or mason jar secreted in the toilet tank... Of course, that's the first place the cops will look for your 'scissors'!

Back