HP intros world's first Wi-Fi mouse, touts 9-month battery life

By Matthew
May 12, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. HP has expanded its PC peripheral line today, introducing the world's first Wi-Fi mouse. Generically called the "HP Wi-Fi Mobile Mouse," the device reduces clutter by connecting to a computer…

Read the whole story
  2. howzz1854

howzz1854 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 585   +79

if anything i think it might create more interference in a already crowded 2.4ghz band wifi that's now used in anything and everything from cell phones, to baby monitors, walky talkie, PC periferals, microwave, remote control.... and more. how about something in the 5Ghz bandwidth with lag free wireless connection that won't feel like gliding on ice when you move the house.
  3. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

If there is a void, something will fill it. But its probably cheaper to get a 5 buck USB hub, and plug your less intensive devices into it than buying a whole new mouse.
  4. Cueto_99

Cueto_99 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 240   +11

It looks like a portable mouse... but it only works with wi-fi, so if I there is no signal I have no mouse... IMO they should have make it hybrid...
  5. Whoaman

Whoaman Newcomer, in training Posts: 71

It connects directly to the WiFi on your laptop (or computer). It doesn't need a wifi router etc. if that's what your thinking.
  6. dotVezz

dotVezz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 117

But your laptop can only handle one WiFi connection at a time (Unless it has two Wireless cards, which it doesn't).

If you're traveling, sure, you can use an ad-hoc connection, but this would most likely be really annoying, and use more power then bluetooth - meaning your battery wouldn't last as long.

Bluetooth and USB Dongles both connect instantly, automatically, without any configuration (except the initial config).

WiFi Mouse would most likely need to be set up every time you change the mode (If I'm using it at my desk on my dorm's wifi, I need to reconfigure it when I go to classrooms with no wifi)

It's also entirely possible that there will be ad-hoc issues. Or even more likely, WEP/WPA2 issues. I'm staying away from this.
  7. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

This device seems inferior in compatibility, durability, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was also in performance.
  8. Pretty much a needless invention, IMHO.
    Bluetooth, conventional wireless and wired USB are fine.
    I predict much less than widespread adoption.

How about one that works over 3G? ******.
  9. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 616

I also thought this at first, but let me quote the last part of the article for you:

Hewlett-packard have basically found a way around this. Besides, if only one connection was possible, there would be no point in having those 'circular-network' configurations (which lets you hook up to *a lot* of routers at the same time).

Although Ad-hoc connections does consume a lot of battery life... hopefully the mouse won't be too much of a demanding host, or even better; using next-to-no power demanding Wi-Fi protocols.
  10. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TechSpot Maniac Posts: 541

well no becuase I am wired so will still lose a USB port as I have to use a WIFI usb thing. Plus Id rather use a wired mouse.
  11. Powah

Powah Newcomer, in training Posts: 22

I dont think i would like it to be honest. I mean, does it stand alone like a router? Whats the point of making it WiFi? When it works perfectly good (for most people) on blue tooth? lol

What difference is it going to make in performance, thats really noticable? lol

12. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,858   +343

i love the sound of this, no wireless reciever, but it seems like it would create even more signal interference...which there is way too much of already.
  13. abe10tiger

abe10tiger TechSpot Paladin Posts: 782   +10

Now this is freaking awesome. I really wish I could get this. :))
  14. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,044   +37

I dont see the point... It's like having a Ethernet mouse with a RJ45 connector... I will admit to not having read through the entire article once again.
  15. I see a point ... point is Bluetooth STINKS! I have more trouble with Bluetooth than anything else for the past several years on several devices.
  16. This is N O T the first WIFI mouse. I have a 4th Gen iPod Touch and downloaded an app called Mobile Mouse Pro for a whole $1.99. It turns the iTouch into a WIFI mouse and it works 10 times better than the air mouse I paid big bucks for. HP is behind the times!
  17. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,044   +37

by technicality neither is what you used... if you are suggesting that was a "mouse."
  18. dotVezz

dotVezz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 117

The 5-device link is for the non-wifi models.

19. pmshah

pmshah Newcomer, in training Posts: 81

This is going to be a major pain. In all probability they will only have drivers for Win 7 so other OSes are out. I already have all my 4 PCs connecting to the router through wifi. I have been unable to find solution for connecting 2 PCs in P2P wired configuration over gigalan simultaneously with wifi connection to the internet.

How well is this mouse or Win7 going to behave when it uses the same wifi interface is million dollar question. Perhaps more frequent recurrence of system crashes !
  20. miska_man

miska_man TechSpot Member Posts: 49

Stick a Bluetooth card in your comp. Buy Bluetooth mouse. Congrats. You just solved your "issue" without the complications of this Wi-Fi mouse.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.