I3 3220 vs AMD A10-5800k vs FX 4300

Hello everyone.
I am building this new gaming rig. I wont be playing all games on ultra settings, med/normal-settings would do for me. I won't be doing anyother heavy multitasking either.
I pretty much have everything else figured out, other than what CPU to use.

I am stuck between-
Intel i3 3220
A10-5800k
FX 4300.

For the GPU I will be using-
1) Gigabyte's HD 7850 OC edition with 975 MHz GPU clock and 2gb GDDR5 256-bit 4800 MHz memory.
2) OR Nvidia 650ti 2gb GDDR5(if I run out of my $600 budget).

I can switch to i5 3570 and run it on turbo mode, instead of OCing A10-5800k. But in that case, I will have to further downgrade my GPU to HD 7770 or equivalent.

So what do you think I should go with?

The I3-3220 will give better out of the box performance than the other two you listed. However, the 4300 can be overclocked to achieve slightly better performance. If you don't want to OC get the 3220, if you don't mind grab the 4300.

The 7850 is a good choice for this build and your budget.
I would stick with either of the two CPU's I suggested. If this PC is meant to be used for gaming, you don't want to step your CPU up to a 3570 and GPU down to 7770. That would only result in worse gaming performance since most games are more GPU dependent.

You didn't mention it, but what PSU are you going with?

Quad-core is beneficial for today's games, along with general daily usage. The i5 3570 will last you a long time and is a very good choice. You can save up more for a GPU.

Think of it this way: (prices are total random numbers) $400 for a mediocre PC now, which will feel slow soon.. vs $500-550 for a a computer in which the skeleton (CPU, mobo, RAM) will last you 4 years EASY.

Quad-core is beneficial for today's games, along with general daily usage. The i5 3570 will last you a long time and is a very good choice. You can save up more for a GPU.
I agree in terms of Quad-cores being ideal. However, I think he could just as easily upgrade his CPU in the future. If he was to choose the i3 he would have a straight upgrade path to a 3570 as they are the same socket. And, with the the 7850 he will be in a nice mid-range spot for gaming. But, that is just my opinion, I'm just talking with 'gaming' in mind. The dual core i3 won't hurt him in terms of performance in gaming. While, the 3570 won't skyrocket his performance in games compared to a 3220.

In terms of just general computing though, as St1ckM4n said, the 3570 will be the better performer.

I have done a ton of research on this exact topic in the past and have helped out numerous people on this same topic. This video will sum it up:

I'd agree with the general sentiment which is to save up slightly more for an i5 processor which will last you several years.

Btw the A10 is an APU and since you're running a discrete GPU there's no point going for that.

I think you should buy the i3 3220 , as many games have been shown to perform better in i3-3220 than fx 4300, also you don't need the a10, since you will be buying discrete graphics
Btw,gtx 650 ti boost is Better than the gpu options u have given but costs almost equal

Back