Hey everyone, thanks for taking a look.

Here is my system:

• Intel i7 960
  • Intel DX58SO Mobo
  • Adata 6GB DDR3
  • Nvidia GTS250
  • Thermaltake 600
  • Rosewill Destroyer Case

All clocks and voltages are stock as well as cooling.

My temps while idle are (according to CPUID):

• Cores
  • 0 40c
  • 1 39c
  • 2 44c
  • 3 37c

My temps after playing Bad Company 2 for 45 minutes or so:
  • 0 80c (176F???)
  • 1 75c
  • 2 78c
  • 3 77c

Important notes:

Used dot method for thermal compound application. Used arctic silver 5. As far as I can tell this went well and without a hitch. Never had to reapply compound or reseat the heatsink.

I have one intake 120mm in the front of the case, one 120mm exhaust on the top, one 120mm exhaust on the back, PSU is bottom mount and is exhausting through a fan grate on the bottom of the case.

Stock everything.

This seems WAY too hot to me and was confirmed to be something to look into by a couple of guys I know.

If anyone can draw any parallels with the hardware listed and the temps that would be great. Any (reasonable) solution suggestions would be great too, if this is indeed alarming temps.

Thank you. :)

Yup, that's a bit too high... even for an i7 as i just recently found out. My suggestion is to swap the cooler and thermal. Something aftermarket would be much better and personally I don't really like Arctic Silver that much. I usually recommend Tuniq compounts TX-2 or TX-3. Also, make sure to check the voltages in BIOS are set to stock.

If you download Prime95 you can take a look at how hot your computer runs under load, and tinker around with settings.

It is always possible that the problem is with your GPU creating too much heat, or with the case not circulating enough air.

If you just run your CPU at max it should show you pretty well if the problem is with CPU not being cooled enough, or if the heat is due to other sources.

But I agree that you should get an after market cooler, you invested into some nice hardware.

Picked up a Corsair A50 heatsink and re-applied arctic silver 5.

Re-did some cable management.

Temps are now idling around the hover of 28-32c

Prime95 stressed the CPU for approx 15 min and it didn't want to break 70c.

Warm... but not dangerous, no?

Average gaming/load temperature have dropped at least 10-12c with that aftermarket heastink into the comfortable range.

Things louder than hell though with 3 120mm's and a heatsink with a 120mm. Geez.

Good job. I think your temps are in the right range.

A thought may be to invest in a fan controller. I also have a bunch of 120s in my case, and the thing used to sound like a vacuum cleaner.

I bought a fan controller, used it to turn the fans all the way down, and my temps hardly budged. The thing is pretty quiet now. This is the one I have:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999171

Of course if you have enough motherboard fan inputs, you can probably do the same thing with software.

You can add a second fan to your A50 heatsink for a push-pull setup that will lower your temps a couple more degrees, although your temps look good now. I've been using a Noctua with dual fans on my Core i7 965 rig with similar results, don't really like going much past 70c for any extended amount of time.

You can add a second fan to your A50 heatsink for a push-pull setup that will lower your temps a couple more degrees, although your temps look good now. I've been using a Noctua with dual fans on my Core i7 965 rig with similar results, don't really like going much past 70c for any extended amount of time.

That's also a great point. I have an H50, and I replaced the one Corsair fan and bought two Noctuas for push/pull, the thing is silent. They're a bit expensive, but they really are silent.