IDC: AMD takes processor market share from Intel

By Jos
Jan 26, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The x86 processor market seems to be doing quite well emerging from recession and returning to normal seasonal patterns. While shipments had already shown a significant increase in Q3 2009, the industry had an even more impressive quarter at the end of the year. According to recent figures from IDC, almost 96 million units were dispatched during this period, making up for a record 31.3% year-on-year growth.

Read the whole story
  2. compdata

compdata TechSpot Paladin Posts: 604

I hope AMD keeps the pressure on. If they do, everyone will benefit.
  3. Reloader2

Reloader2 Newcomer, in training Posts: 66

GO GO AMD!! :)
  4. AMD :D

btw thanks for a big image
  5. unrealmp3

unrealmp3 TechSpot Member Posts: 49

My system might not be a Core i7, but my Phenom is running at a level of performance that I am comfortable with, especially for the price.
  6. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,806   +642

Good news all round, except for Intel I guess.
    AMD needs to get their thumb out of their collective butts and get Thuban up and running. Until AMD get true competition (and I don't mean on a price/performance ratio) for Intels 870 - 980X CPU's we are still going to a massive price discrepency between those parts and the i7 920 /i5 750 and lower binned SKU's.
  7. HaMsTeYr

HaMsTeYr TechSpot Maniac Posts: 387

AMD :D Gogogo

I'm loving my Athlon II X4 620 :D
  8. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,035   +91

Although i'm happy AMD is doing well, it's still sad when you look at the numbers. With 80% of the market share intel doesn't have a care in the world.
  9. alexandrionel

alexandrionel Newcomer, in training Posts: 94

What do you think are the chances of seing AMD products like laptops and smartphones and tablets, during the next few years?
    They already make motherboards, cpu's and gpu's.
  10. quantum576

quantum576 Newcomer, in training

Not likely. I would think that they would like to keep their overhead down and focus on gaining more market share from Intel.
  11. go...go..AMD...am lovin' it

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.