TechSpot

In the wake of PRISM, should we give up on online privacy?

By Jos
Jun 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Depending who you ask, the scandal over PRISM, the NSA's secret data mining program, is either mere confirmation of what we already knew, or a shocking revelation that should drive people onto the streets in protest. It's certainly true that...

Read more

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,119   +1,523

How many more PRISM topics do we need to start within one week? It's starting to get confusing which topic is which.

avoidz and Dustyn like this.
  3. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TS Guru Posts: 566   +105

Too many people are just sheep with the attitude ' I do nothing wrong so I do not care if the government spys on me'. Well these people need to realize that some of the stuff they say will be used against them at some point if needed.

hammer2085 likes this.
  4. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,028   +913

Meh. It is a given that there is surveillance. Privacy was never there to start with. Internet and privacy dont mix.

5. cliffordcooley

Thats where you are wrong. Just because it doesn't mix, doesn't mean we shouldn't try to make it mix.

I ask nothing more for myself than congress ask for themselves. If you tell me that congress allows this surveillance amongst themselves, I will reconsider. Good luck convincing me though.

6. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,128   +731

When you say 'Government' do you mean some person working for the govt, or just a govt computer program. Because I'm not worried there's a group of people who are looking through the internet history of every person in the country. Since I really doubt Techspot, facebook and Netflix trigger their terrorist filters, I don't have much to worry about.

What worries me is when they make a filter for the opposing political party and then send the IRS a list of names for audits.

7. JC713

True. So you think that if congress does surveillance on themselves, you will accept this? That is fair.

8. cliffordcooley

It's not actually congress doing the surveillance is it?

9. In 99' it was Echelon now in 2013 it's Prism. Let me in form the masses, if it has 1's and 0's in it which are know as bits, Aunt Samantha and Uncle Sam is sniffing, filtering, viewing, etc. Your encryption is useless to Sam and his clan, these boys have been cracking 2048 bit for a few years now, so lets move on. How can we kill Windows 8. I don't want a tablet OS on my Desktop.

10. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TS Booster Posts: 310   +62

I don't get why someone would go through all of that trouble to stay anonymous. As if anyone is going to care what sites you go on (unless you're doing something illegal).

The biggest false assumption people make when complaining about privacy is that the big bad companies or the government actually care about your lives so much that they would single you out just to learn your dirty online secrets. The reality is that nobody will pay any mind to you guys, because you really aren't that interesting. I know I'm not.

11. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,823   +922

You know, online surveillance probably has helped us avoid terror plots and attacks.

OTOH, organizations like the RIAA & MPAA like to try to spin illegal downloading into a terrorist enterprise that needs the full weight of every governmental law enforcement brought to bear on it.

Did you buy knockoff handbag recently? If so, you're funding terrorism, or so they tell us.

So, don't buy any counterfeit handbags online, to avoid the interceptions of your web traffic and Email, which could lead to a life sentence for treason.

12. gcarter

gcarter TS Rookie Posts: 44   +13

ReederOnTheRun likes this.
  13. JC713

No lol.

14. "In the wake of PRISM, should we give up on online privacy?"
    How would that work? The American citizens take a vote and pass on their privacy, thus making spying on the rest of the world okay? Disgusting.

kuroiei likes this.
  15. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 634   +60

Lololol.

16. Nobody monitors all the data coming in from the PRISM partners - the system only flags certain keywords and then this usually happens:

ryubaks and ReederOnTheRun like this.
  17. high_NSA

high_NSA TS Rookie

Maybe you don't understand the concept of politics or the magnitude of knowing everything you do. It's a lot of power to know everything about someone. Let's say just ONE of these geeks has business/.financial/political motives to gain information about their competitor. They can read competitor emails, access proprietary information, and find the tiniest bits of information that could possibly lead to extortion.

Another scenario. Let's say a millionaire or billionaire is are having an affair. (not being a legally married affair. Just boyfriend /girlfriend) Gov't Geek tells his buddy about said affair. Buddy to go make a phone call to billionaire and go make some easy money.

The scenarios are endless. You need to think outside the box. Just because certain people aren't terrorists or running illegal operations doesn't mean the information won't be used against them if put into the wrong hands. !

Who is policing the police? I'm sure you think you're safe from this because you're a law abiding citizen. I'm sorry but you're wrong. This is too much power and I'ts absolutely in the wrong hands. I'm positive this will happen in the future. LOADS of political extortion. Such as the IRS extortion scandal.

18. ReederOnTheRun

I'm not sure you understand how it works. All of the information is automatically sent through a filter and only the information that looks like it belongs to a terrorist is allowed through. THEN if any of the information belongs to an American citizen, it is actually locked away and can't be viewed by the NSA without a warrant.

They aren't spying on Americans, they're trying to extract information on foreign terrorists off of the American servers that the information has been stored on. They have a lot of oversight and have done as much as possible to keep American citizens out of it.

19. high_NSA

high_NSA TS Rookie

I understand how it's supposed to work. How they SAY it works. You need to 100% trust what they are saying (is only for terrorists!) and trust 100% that no one will take information outside of the arena. Well guess what? It already happened! These guys are computer programmers. Do you think they have the capacity to change the way the information is handled? This is what businesses and people do to crush the competition.
    Honestly you're really going to believe what the government tells you.? "I promise guys, we're only using this for terrorist! What about the Children!??!"

cliffordcooley likes this.
  20. ReederOnTheRun

Do you have any shred of proof for these claims? Do you even know if they COULD do that if they wanted to with all their oversight? Just because it's making for good headlines, doesn't mean all the bogus is true.

Try informing your argument with facts instead of fear, and maybe I'll take you seriously.

21. cliffordcooley

And just exactly how are we to find out? Everything is done behind closed doors. The media is a failure because they can't relay the information we should know.

The phrase "If you have nothing to fear, you have nothing to hide", is most certainly a one way street. And I'm sick of these one way streets where the gov is involved. I will never listen to a "do as I say not as I do" speech, especially coming from a governing body.

22. The major problem here is what is a terrorist? Today a terrorist is seen as someone whom is going to go out with the intention of hurting lots of innocent people in some way for one or more reasons. But tomorrow a terrorist could be considered someone whom is being quite vocal and indeed quite successful in organizing people to rally against the governments decision to invade Iran or some other strong political subject that is against the governments view.
    What we see today is just a sneak peak at a system that has been designed from the very start to be big, and so therefore to be used big. It's easy to see it's intention when you look at it's scale. You don't use an atomic bomb to kill 100 to 200 hundred people, you use it to devastate all.

23. cliffordcooley

And your point of bringing weapons of mass destruction into a loss of privacy discussion is what exactly?

24. Jake Woods

Jake Woods TS Rookie

If you don't think that terrorists are using the same technique's being discussed in this article/comments you're deluding yourself. Only the dumb terrorist gets to be the suicide bomber! What this means is the the government is spying on everyone else. The government said that it had stopped several attacks. If this were true, as soon as this whole scandal broke don't you think the NSA would have listed specific times and dates. Wouldn't some of these alleged stopped attacks made the news somewhere. Come on.

25. ReederOnTheRun

Actually, they have revealed how it works. It's just not the same thing you want to believe, so you are rejecting it. The problem is you're belief lacks falsifiability. You think that if the government doesn't spill some terrible damning secret, they must be lying; but if they were to admit to a damning secret, you'd accept it immediately. Regardless of what the government is actually doing, you think they are always doing something to betray everybody they are trying to protect.

Scientific Theory 101

MilwaukeeMike likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.