TechSpot

Intel planning price cuts across its consumer SSD lineups

By Jos
Jul 12, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A recent report based on data from price tracking engine Camelegg showed that overall prices for mainstream SSDs have been on a steady decline over the past year. But despite this trend Intel stood out as one of the few……

Read more
  2. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

120 GB for $104 is not bad at all...
  3. wow SSD's are expensive! but I guess that's just because I dont have much money sitting around.
  4. 3DCGMODELER

3DCGMODELER TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

240GB from $349 to $259

not bad...

Are these SSD's getting better???
    I have yet to Buy one, because of there failure rate.. ....
    Are they that good???
    Are they Worth it??
    Really???
  5. Concerning the above poster's question to relability (failure rate), Intel is (becoming was) the most reliable SSD brand on the. That was one of the reasons that their SSDs were historically more expensive. Now that the technology is continuing to evolve and companies are a few generations down the controller line, they are across the board becoming more reliable and lowering their failure rate. I believe that this is one reason that Intel is giving up its premium cost.

Concerning whether or not the drives are improving, the answer is yes. Previous generations on 3GB/s capable motherboards (SATA II) were hitting read and write speeds ~250MB/s (there is variability between them, that's just an average ballpark). The newer SATA III capable motherboards are hitting 6GB/s with read and write speeds of ~500MB/s. So that's about a 100% performance increase, quite substantial. Furthermore, as I mentioned above, newer drives are becoming more reliable... but it would still behoove you to research before buying. :)
  6. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

@Guest - Nice summary. Thanks. :)
  7. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

Really? A colon : and a close-paren ) get changed to an image link here? Really? I wonder what it will do with a semicolon and a close-paren winky ;)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.