Intel's Core i7-980X EE shows up in a slew of gaming rigs

By Jos
Mar 17, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spending upwards of $999 on the latest and greatest Intel processor might be overkill in most people's book, especially for the marginal performance gains you get compared to the next model down. But that isn't stopping a deluge of system builders from announcing products based on the recently announced Core i7-980X EE. The six-core, twelve-threaded part has already made its way onto gaming rigs by Alienware, Origin PC, CyberPower and Maingear -- among others.

Read the whole story
  2. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

most systems i've seen that feature the new processor sell for well over $1500 and up towards $3000. i don't see too many of them being sold but it must be nice to be able to afford a setup like that... not that it's practical anyways.
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,231   +314

"...while Origin PC is offering not just the standard 3.33Ghz clocked version but one that's overclocked all the way up to 4.3Ghz."

That's a pretty high overclock. I wonder what their warranty is in case their own overclock blows the processor.
  4. compdata

compdata TechSpot Paladin Posts: 604

Those are pretty crazy prices given the level of performance improvement you get. That said, if i had $5k to spend, why not right?
  5. rskapadia2294

rskapadia2294 Newcomer, in training Posts: 102

hey dats gr8! good to see that ppl are spending so much on technology!
    btw i am also a die hard fan of intel but the price is jus dat i couldn't afford it! i would have to take a loan! lol! but keep going intel!
  6. jjbeard926

jjbeard926 Newcomer, in training Posts: 69

God bless the gamers for they push the boundaries of technology into new frontiers and bring what was once a luxury item down in price for us mere mortals. Nothing short of war has pushed technology further than the field of entertainment.
  7. mrwhatever

mrwhatever Newcomer, in training

new home teather, 46" display,new computer with quad core and ati eye finitty and im sure i wont spend even 3000, obviously im not gonna get that Core i7 but i wont need it to do the daily gaming i do

im gone .
  8. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,847   +64

Tom,sounds like you have an option to purchase an 90 day/1yr/2yr/3yr or 4 year warranty, but if you mess with their factory OC, you void it.

http://www.alienware.com/purchase/warranty.aspx
  9. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,012   +715

Doesn't this go back to the old "show them the Corvette, then sell them the Chevelle" strategy"? (Of which I've been a victim). I saw the reviews of the high end core i-7 s, then I bought myself a Core i3-530.
  10. boyese

boyese Newcomer, in training Posts: 20

i'll stick wiv my AMDs
  11. flukeh

flukeh Newcomer, in training Posts: 57

AMD everything? AMD GPU and Intel CPU has always been my way to go, but i can be lenient depending on what is out at the time that i purchase, and what reviews i read.
  12. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,231   +314

"...sounds like you have an option to purchase an 90 day/1yr/2yr/3yr or 4 year warranty, but if you mess with their factory OC, you void it."

There once was a time when you didn't have to buy warranties. :(
  13. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,012   +715

Yeah well, they weren't 4 years either. >>12 or 24 << Months parts and labor max. It's the trying to collect on any warranty that's the aggravation.

14. jasonk1229

jasonk1229 Newcomer, in training Posts: 58

awesome look
  15. Deso

Deso Newcomer, in training Posts: 130

It was disapointing to see that one of the sites offered the cpu with a 5770 .... with the lowest price which was 3k or something - . -
  16. pipopaz

pipopaz Newcomer, in training Posts: 70

That's just some insane waste of money, I mean why the need to buy it now if it will come down later on as most of things do? Well if I had lots of money to waste I wouldn't hesitate to do so...
  17. rufio

rufio Newcomer, in training Posts: 51

holy smokes, that's one heck of a gaming rig. i remember buying my first gaming rig (P2 500mhz) for almost $2000 a decade ago (probably not the wisest choice either haha)
  18. supyo

supyo Newcomer, in training Posts: 40

i really like my Phenom. Does everything i want it too.
  19. skitzo_zac

skitzo_zac TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 459

That image is really frustrating. The case Maingear use for the SHIFT system is awesome and I want one! It's really a shame they don't sell the case by itself.

And In case anyone is going to point it out I already know it is a redesigned SilverStone Raven RV01. They share identical interiors but the Ravens exterior is ugly whereas the SHIFTs exterior is awesome.
  20. Yoda8232

Yoda8232 Newcomer, in training Posts: 145

These systems are only for people who don't know lots about PC's that have huge amounts of cash lying around. Just wait till the mainstream 6 core comes out from Intel, like the Q6600 and i5 750, history will repeat again.
  21. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,700   +586

Yup, that about sums it up
    By the time the Core i7 970 arrives, anyone buying these systems would have had 6-9 months enjoyment from it.
    Using the Q6600 as an example is probably a little self-defeating since it debuted at $850, not an insignificant amount then, or now.
  22. Kovach

Kovach Newcomer, in training Posts: 44

+1
    By the way, I'm waiting for some performance review of Intel's Core i7-980X.
  23. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

Even if I was going to spend that much on a new PC I would still build it myself. That is half the fun for me, I wouldn't really enjoy buying a pre-built PC. The problem (for me) with spending so much on cutting edge hardware is that the prices drop so fast and something better is right around the corner. I'd prefer to spend half what these systems cost and get most of the performance.
  24. windmill007

windmill007 Newcomer, in training Posts: 311

I have my Intel dual core E8500 OC to 3.8 and my 260GTX Nvidia graphics card ( got like two years ago). Seriously... can crank any game out there and it plays fine. What is the point of these higher end processors. Your not gaining anything besides milliseconds if that unless your doing video processing.
  25. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,989   +66

I wonder how long it will take this thing to open an digitized geological survey drawing, because in the olden days it would take some times an hour just to open the damn file on a Pentium machine running ACAD ....... hmm food for thought :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.