Is this a good combination for my first custom computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zach334455

the specs and items are

fic intel 915g lga775 mb
4gb ram
intel p4 3.4ghz w/ HT
512mb nvidia fx 8500GT graphics card
256mb fx5200 graphics card
96mb onboard intel graphics
2 x 160gb hdd
450w psu

Hi zach and welcome to the forums. Here are three questions that we need you to answer so we can help you better.

1. What do you want this system to do, i.e., gaming, school work, internet surfing, etc.?

2. What is your budget?

Questions one and two go hand in hand.

3. Where do you plan on purchasing the parts from?

well #1 is all of the obove
#2 i have already bought the components and it was around 150$ for everything
#3 was in #2

Well that is older hardware and you will be limited in gaming unless you lower the resolutions and even then you won't be able to play the more hardware demanding games.

Also, why two graphics cards? 512mb nvidia fx 8500GT graphics card and a 256mb fx5200 graphics card. Between the two install the 8500GT. You'll have to disable the onboard Intel graphics in the BIOS in order to run the 8500GT.

i have 4 19" widscreen lcd monitors both are dual head
so mainly for multi tasking i am not playing any super big game eather just the sims and g4 flight simulator
this will be use mainly to run biger programs like cad, microsoft, vpn, vpc, and stuff like that
oh i forgot to mention its runing windows xp pro

Very old hardware indeed. I doubt whether you'll get good performance in Flight Simulator and CAD.

Also, I don't see how you plan on using those 2 graphics cards. It won't be possible to SLI them.

this is socket lga775 i have pentium 4 2.8 ghz overclocked to 3.
but is there any way i could put core 2 duo in this mother board.

There are Core 2 Duos which are LGA775. However, I'm not too sure that they'll be supported on the 915 chipset. Check the manufacturer's CPU support list for your mobo.

this is socket lga775 i have pentium 4 2.8 ghz overclocked to 3.
but is there any way i could put core 2 duo in this mother board.

The short answer is no.
You are limited to Pentium 4 and Celeron D processors.
C2D requires a 945 (mainstream)/ 975X (enthusiast) chipset or later.

Don't even think about flight sim or you may toss the pc out of the window. Ditto to /0's pot as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back