Is updating my memory work it? or should I buy a new computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I recently was think about buying a new computer because mine is starting to run slow. Especially in Maya which is the 3D program I use. It seems like it still render fairly quick but is slow when opening up windows

Here is my question: I there any way to make this computer faster? Will adding more memory to this machine help? can I overclock these processors?

I have a Workstation xw6000 and Here are some specs:

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2392 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2392 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Compaq 686O4 v1.09, 10/18/2002
Total Physical Memory 1,536.50 MB
Available Physical Memory 764.85 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

I don't really know to much about computers. So any help on this question would be wonderful

Thanks Judd

Yes, adding more memory will help. I also suggest more than 2 gigs of ram unless its a netbook. Before you think about just outright buying a new pc, max the ram out and you'll see a difference. Overclocking requires good heat disapation and a little knowledge on how to get around the bios program. Before you even consider that, get you some more ram, it seems that your graphics is sucking up some of your ram too, leaving you not much to work with at all.

there are plenty of things that affect speed.
First, if you are running windows XP, anything less than 1GB is insufficient.
Vista and any 32 bit operating system have a physical limit of about 3.2 gb of ram. It is a waste to install anything more than 3gb of ram on 32bit operating systems as they cannot handle more than 3.2 gb.
if you have a 64bit OS, then you can install plenty of ram..... WAY amount, but then again, anything over 8gb is probably overkill unless you are doing some heavy number crunching.

read this: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic53669.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back