Keep getting Windows not valid popup

cableman

I got this computer new a couple of years ago when I went back to take some college classes. It is a HP ProBook 4525s laptop running Windows 7 Professional 32 bit that came installed, COA sticker and all. I have had some help here cleaning malware off of it but this popup that shows up about every hour saying that my windows is not valid is getting very tiresome.

I am having money problems now so I think I will have to sell it to keep my desktop upgraded. I am just going to get a barebones kit and put my drives in but I can't sell this laptop like this. Shoot, it's getting aggravating just to use it and this model still sells for a little better than $300 used.

Does anybody know what I can do to stop this thing? I thank you in advance for any help if you get the time. You guys have been great. Thanks if you get the time to help.

That model should have a recovery partition. Sounds like it is full of malware. If you are planning on selling it. It would be easier to try and get any data you have on it . Back up to DVD or a Flash drive. Then restore it with a Factory restore . That if its the original windows . That came with it.

I know that a lot of people lie about using bootleg windows software but I bought this laptop new with windows 7 pro already installed and a COA sticker on bottom. No disk but I can download a windows 7 pro and use my legal COA serial, right?

You should have a recovery partition. Hit Esc at startup. It should give you a option to recovery , Which should be F11 on the keyboard. When recovery comes up it will give you a list of options. From the option click Factory restore. It will bring it back to the day you bought.

Yes, the right sequence is to first use the day-1 restore to stabilize the system and THEN perform any updates and/or upgrades

Thanks for the info on the first day restore instructions. I checked out the regular restore point option but that never really works. Now I just need to back up a couple of files and hopefully this restore will solve my problem. The only thing I don't understand is that somehow, something changed my settings so I couldn't get any windows updates. I hope this is just the malware and this factory restore will do the fix. If this works it will be a lot easier than to try and get a copy of windows 7 and reinstall that way. Thanks so much, I will try this and post back the results.

If you have missed previous months of windows OS updates, windows may need to be revalidated again before you can download any updates again.

If you have missed previous months of windows OS updates, windows may need to be revalidated again before you can download any updates again.

That is his problem now it will not let him validate. He is full of spyware. If he dose a full factory recovery of his os . He should be good to go.

Where should I get a windows 7 disc to reinstall? I can't see paying several hundred dollars for one when it should have been included with my computer. I have the original COA sticker with the legal numbers.

You should be able to go to the hp support site. Type in your model number. From there you can order restore disk for your make and model. You may need to call hp support if this laptop is a couple years old. The recovery media usally runs 29.00 to 49.00 depending on the amount of DVDs in the package.

Were you not able to get your laptop to go into a factory restore?

OK, Saving files before doing a factory restore. I just went through a month long session with one of the tech guys on here to clean out the malware but I have to agree; it's still full. It wouldn't let me update java earlier either. The windows is legit with no doubt. I bought it new. Actually, it would be easier to install a bootleg version than what I have gone through to fix this. I know everybody lies but for now please give me the benefit of the doubt. I opened this laptop straight out of the box new with windows 7 pro and the COA sticker on the bottom (still is).

I have had meeting with lawyers, doctors, etc. this month about my disability hearing so I haven't had the time to really get into the fix on this laptop until now. I am starting on it now and will be posting results regularly until I have it fixed.Saving files at the moment, then on to factory restore. Results on that later today.

I am trying to do a system restore. Hitting "esc" at reboot brings up these options only

F1 System Information
F2 System Diagnostics

F7 HP Spare Key
F9 Boot Device Options
F10 BIOS Setup

F12 Network Boot

ENTER - Continue Setup

For more information, please visit: www.hp.com/go /techcenter/startup

Please does anybody know how to do the factory restore from these options?

What make model is your laptop

If it is hp then restart laptop then keep tapping f11 till after the logo screen and it should do it

I finally found the factory restore option in system restore but when asked to restart to initiate the process it refuses. Any more ideas. I refuse to pay for recovery discs I should have been given with the computer when I bought it. I am tired of not being believed when I say I bought it new and it is not a bootleg windows so forget asking me about it anymore. If I had I would have told you. People never believe the truth because it seems everybody lies but you have to take that out of the equation.

F11 at restart only gives me the screen to safe boot or start normally. And yes it is an HP. I hate HP's

You can download the ISO from here: http://malwaretips.com/blogs/download-windows-7-sp1-iso/. Rip it to a disk and boot into it. Follow these directions on how to clean install: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/clean-install. It is for Win8, but it is the same for Win7.

Thank you. I am now downloading the file and will burn to disc and see if it will over ride these blocking features to fix my restore. More later when I have it burnt to disc and try.

Also is it normal for this to download in a matter of seconds. I only have DSL

F11 is the key are u sure u still got the windows origanal there to boot from .. have u had laptop since new and if yes have u ever formatted it before

I finally found the factory restore option in system restore but when asked to restart to initiate the process it refuses. Any more ideas. I refuse to pay for recovery discs I should have been given with the computer when I bought it. I am tired of not being believed when I say I bought it new and it is not a bootleg windows so forget asking me about it anymore. If I had I would have told you. People never believe the truth because it seems everybody lies but you have to take that out of the equation.
I feel you man! You can download the ISO from here: http://malwaretips.com/blogs/download-windows-7-sp1-iso/.
Burn it to a disc and install (use the key on your HP PC). Note, I am in a rush and I forgot whether you have XP or not, so dont use this if you have XP or Vista since the key doesnt apply to 7.

I just noticed I already said this. My bad.

For the last time I opened the laptop out of the new box. If it was tampered with then they resealed the plastic bags and all. NO, I have never reformatted and no changes to windows!!!!

Just saying if your recovery partition dose not work. It could be due to a virus, I was not saying you did not buy the laptop.

I can't get the laptop to find wireless connections available when they are there. I assume it is due to absent drivers that are needed. I tried to download the network drivers from the HP site on my other computer and was going to transfer them via flash drive. That failed. Those who still believe me do you have any input? I am sorry for being so blunt and sarcastic earlier but I do have a personal with being called a liar. As a child I told the truth and was punished for lying because it didn't fit what they wanted to hear. The world is becoming more like that everyday because so many people do lie that we will believe a lie before we believe the truth. That is as much of an apology as I can give. Thanks still to those willing to help me. I think you have learned that cableman will not lie to you no matter what problem I have to post or say to you if I ever have advice.

Back