Inactive Laptop infected

Status
Not open for further replies.

maldrich

I've tried everything.

It's a Dell laptop running XP Home. I'm pretty sure it came from a torrent downloaded by my genius brother in law. Malwarebytes install gives me the 'Access Denied' error. I run Sophos, which caught some but not all. Avira did not fix it either. I need stuff on this machine. As a last resort, I tried Trinity, with no luck. I really don't want to reinstall or copy stuff I need to a backup device and risk further infection. Thanks in advance.
Mike

Welcome aboard
yahooo.gif

Please, complete all steps listed here: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/
Make sure, you PASTE all logs. If some log exceeds 50,000 characters post limit, split it between couple of replies.
Attached logs won't be reviewed.

Please, observe following rules:
  • Read all of my instructions very carefully. Your mistakes during cleaning process may have very serious consequences, like unbootable computer.
  • If you're stuck, or you're not sure about certain step, always ask before doing anything else.
  • Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those I suggest.
  • Never run more than one scan at a time.
  • Keep updating me regarding your computer behavior, good, or bad.
  • The cleaning process, once started, has to be completed. Even if your computer appears to act better, it may still be infected. Once the computer is totally clean, I'll certainly let you know.
  • If you leave the topic without explanation in the middle of a cleaning process, you may not be eligible to receive any more help in malware removal forum.
  • I close my topics if you have not replied in 5 days. If you need more time, simply let me know. If I closed your topic and you need it to be reopened, simply PM me.

Thanks Broni.

I installed Avira after reverting back to a Windows backup (System restore). It was completely unusable. I had to use a windows disk to fix the MBR. Not sure where to go from here...

You're running two AV programs, Sophos and Avira.
One of them has to go.
Your choice.

Then....

Download aswMBR to your desktop.
Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it.
If you see this question: Would you like to download latest Avast! virus definitions?" say "Yes".
Click the "Scan" button to start scan:

On completion of the scan click "Save log", save it to your desktop and post in your next reply:

NOTE. aswMBR will create MBR.dat file on your desktop. This is a copy of your MBR. Do NOT delete it.

================================================================

Please download ComboFix from Here or Here to your Desktop.

**Note: In the event you already have Combofix, this is a new version that I need you to download. It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop**
  1. Please, never rename Combofix unless instructed.
  2. Close any open browsers.
  3. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
    • Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".
    • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.
    NOTE1. If Combofix asks you to install Recovery Console, please allow it.
    NOTE 2. If Combofix asks you to update the program, always do so.
    • Close any open browsers.
    • WARNING: Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet as soon as it starts
    • Please do not attempt to re-connect your machine back to the Internet until Combofix has completely finished.
    • If there is no internet connection after running Combofix, then restart your computer to restore back your connection.
  4. Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
  5. When finished, it will produce a report for you.
  6. Please post the "C:\ComboFix.txt"
**Note 1: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall
**Note 2 for AVG users: ComboFix will not run until AVG is uninstalled as a protective measure against the anti-virus. This is because AVG "falsely" detects ComboFix (or its embedded files) as a threat and may remove them resulting in the tool not working correctly which in turn can cause "unpredictable results". Since AVG cannot be effectively disabled before running ComboFix, the author recommends you to uninstall AVG first.
Use AppRemover to uninstall it: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5514-appremover.html
We can reinstall it when we're done with CF.
**Note 3: If you receive an error "Illegal operation attempted on a registery key that has been marked for deletion", restart computer to fix the issue.

Make sure, you re-enable your security programs, when you're done with Combofix.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOTE.
If, for some reason, Combofix refuses to run, try one of the following:

1. Run Combofix from Safe Mode.

2. Delete Combofix file, download fresh one, but rename combofix.exe to yourname.exe BEFORE saving it to your desktop.
Do NOT run it yet.

Please download and run the below tool named Rkill (courtesy of BleepingComputer.com) which may help allow other programs to run.

There are 4 different versions. If one of them won't run then download and try to run the other one.

Vista and Win7 users need to right click Rkill and choose Run as Administrator

You only need to get one of these to run, not all of them. You may get warnings from your antivirus about this tool, ignore them or shutdown your antivirus.

Rkill.com
Rkill.scr
Rkill.exe

• Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista or Windows 7 right-click on it and choose Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • Do not reboot until instructed.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.

Once you've gotten one of them to run, immediately run your_name.exe by double clicking on it.

If normal mode still doesn't work, run BOTH tools from safe mode.

In case #2, please post BOTH logs, rKill and Combofix.

DO NOT make any other changes to your computer (like installing programs, using other cleaning tools, etc.), until it's officially declared clean!!!

The computer no longer boots. It gets to the Windows XP screen, then goes black. I've tried Safe Mode as well.

Let's see, if we can look at your computer booting from an external source.

Please download OTLPE (filesize 120,9 MB)

• When downloaded double click on OTLPENet.exe and make sure there is a blank CD in your CD drive. This will automatically create a bootable CD.
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
    • Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps HERE
  • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Depending on your type of internet connection, you should be able to get online as well so you can access this topic more easily.
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • When asked Do you wish to load the remote registry, select Yes
  • When asked Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning, select Yes
  • Ensure the box Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start.
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system
  • Please post the contents of the OTL.txt file in your reply.

I don't really see much there, but let's give it a shot...

Do this on the computer you are posting from:
Copy the text in the codebox below:

Code:
:OTL
SRV - File not found [Auto] -- -- (RoxLiveShare9)
O2 - BHO: (AVG Safe Search) - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - File not found
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - No CLSID value found.
O4 - HKLM..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] File not found
O4 - HKU\Administrator_ON_C..\Run: [OE_OEM] File not found
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab (Reg Error: Key error.)
[1 C:\WINDOWS\System32\*.tmp files -> C:\WINDOWS\System32\*.tmp -> ]
[2011/09/05 13:39:50 | 000,000,000 | ---D | M] -- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\AVG Free 8.5
[2011/09/01 20:53:50 | 000,000,956 | -HS- | M] () -- C:\Documents and Settings\Jacqueline Lynch\Local Settings\Application Data\3715607825
[2011/09/01 20:53:50 | 000,000,956 | -HS- | M] () -- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\3715607825
[2010/05/16 16:14:30 | 000,000,088 | RHS- | C] () -- C:\WINDOWS\System32\8F852B676E.sys
@Alternate Data Stream - 188 bytes -> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\TEMP:56DA0F9E
@Alternate Data Stream - 128 bytes -> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\TEMP:5BD8B9DD

:Services

:Reg

:Files

:Commands
[purity]

Open Notepad and paste it.
Save the document as Fix.txt on to a USB flash drive

On the infected computer the following...

Run OTLPE

• Insert USB stick and find the file Fix.txt. Drag the file Fix.txt and drop it under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom.
    • (The content of Fix.txt should appear in the box)
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Post the log produced (you'll need to transfer it with USB stick)
  • Attempt to reboot normally into Windows.

Boot to OTLPE again.
Start OTL tool again.

[*] Under the Custom Scan box paste this in:

/md5start
explorer.exe
winlogon.exe
userinit.exe
atapi.sys
/md5stop

Press "Run scan" and post new log.

Do this on the computer you are posting from:
Copy the text in the codebox below:

Code:
:OTL

:Services

:Reg

:Files
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atapi.sys|C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\dd9ab5193501484cf5e6884fa1d22f9e\atapi.sys /replace

:Commands
[purity]

Open Notepad and paste it.
Save the document as Fix.txt on to a USB flash drive

On the infected computer the following...

Run OTLPE

• Insert USB stick and find the file Fix.txt. Drag the file Fix.txt and drop it under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom.
    • (The content of Fix.txt should appear in the box)
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Post the log produced (you'll need to transfer it with USB stick)
  • Attempt to reboot normally into Windows.

No dice:

========== OTL ==========
========== SERVICES/DRIVERS ==========
========== REGISTRY ==========
========== FILES ==========
File C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atapi.sys successfully replaced with C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\dd9ab5193501484cf5e6884fa1d22f9e\atapi.sys
========== COMMANDS ==========

OTLPE by OldTimer - Version 3.1.48.0 log created on 09102011_195838

As I said earlier I don't see anything malicious running so it looks to me like a Windows installation issue.
Do you have any important data there?
Do you have recovery disks?
Does the computer have recovery partition?

I need the data on there. I don't think there is a recovery partition, but I'm not sure how to check. I don't have the recovery discs, but could probably get them from Dell. No way to do a recovery with the Pro CD?

No. It has to be same XP version.

You can use OTLPE CD to get anything you want off of your hard drive.

I really don't have any other ideas.
It's either XP CD to run repair installation, or backing up your data and reinstalling Windows.
Unfortunately not every case is fixable without side effects.

Can I use OTLP to copy my entire C drive? I have my laptop connected to my network and can copy to my linux file server, but when I try to copy the whole C drive, I get access denied errors on some files and the copy quits. Is there a way around this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back