Maingear Shift Gaming PC with Super Stock Options Review

By Julio Franco
Nov 10, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Here's the scenario: You're bored one night surfing the Internet and you decide to do a mock build of your dream PC. Whether through your favorite e-tailer or a boutique system builder, you find yourself piecing together the ultimate powerhouse. Price is not a concern -- you want the baddest system your (imaginary) money can buy.

Read the full review at:
    http://www.techspot.com/review/331-maingear-shift-superstock/

Please leave your feedback here.
  2. skitzo_zac

skitzo_zac TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 459

I wish they would sell the case by itself. So much better than the Raven it's based from.
  3. NeoFlux

NeoFlux TechSpot Member Posts: 83

We got THE answer to THE question - YES, it can run Crysis
  4. vangrat

vangrat Newcomer, in training Posts: 223

Dear god! It runs Crysis..IT REALLY REALLY RUNS CRYSIS...faints dead on the spot.

I have to say that the lack of the extra 6gb of RAM on the dream machine was a bit of a let down. Also, I wonder what this would look like with 3 GTX 580s running in it..can you say Crysis at 100+FPS stable XD.

You could probably loan the down time of the processors and the GPUs to every single process sharing organization on the net, and still have room to run Crysis at a stable 60-70FPS...Okay I am now done with the Crysis jokes.

So...does it play WoW very well?
  5. grvalderrama

grvalderrama TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 196

So, this is the first system that runs Crysis over 70 FPS...? This is a great computer, but hats off to Crysis, it's been like 2 years since it came out and just recent computers handle it well.
    What I really loved about the Shift, it's the 90 degrees tweak, it's one of the most brilliant ideas I've seen around since I signed up to TS. And of course, impressive detailed review.
  6. taea00

taea00 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 102

This thing is a beast. For the price you'd really hope the custom paint job was spotless, but it's just going to sit under your desk, so I don't even know why you'd drop that much for a paint job. I can only imagine what your power bill would be like after a month of gaming on this thing. You'd have to warn the electric company when you were firing it up so they could shut off half your grid to sustain power.
  7. FLHR

FLHR Newcomer, in training

I like the case as well !!!
  8. Bluemagma

Bluemagma Newcomer, in training

bleh im only 19fps away on the crysis meter... lol mine pc was only 2g :p God i love Ibuypower
  9. Uvindu

Uvindu TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 153

This system is hot! I didn'r know it was possible to run crysis at such high framerates. WOW!
  10. sMILEY4ever

sMILEY4ever TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 156

I lold, but it's true. This rig is pretty power hungry and can run any game smooth at some 2560x1600, except metro 2033 that is.
  11. shortie

shortie Newcomer, in training Posts: 18

Me thinks that this should be a give away by you guys :D

12. Ranger12

Ranger12 TechSpot Guru Posts: 630   +116

Yes indeed! lol

For some reason I feel 6 gb's of ram is not enough. I mean sure it's enough to pretty much run anything but if I'm shelling out 7,000+ for a desktop I would expect more than 6 gb's of ram...
  13. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 957   +30

Just what I was thinking, shortie. :) Comment stealer. ;)

grvalderrama, Crysis is already 3 years old (well, in a few days).
  14. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,473   +301

Man! Cryisis at over 70fps! Insane! one of the first computer setups you can truely answer the question

"Can it run Crysis?"

"Yes It Bloody Well Can"

Than again, for £7000 I would also expect it to, for that money you can buy a fairly decent second hand car!
  15. Demons

Demons Newcomer, in training Posts: 52

Very nice system... Of course the cost to overall performance ratio is pretty high. I know there are a few out there that are made of money that might buy a system like this. For me though, half the fun is building it yourself. ;)
  16. ElShotte

ElShotte TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 163

I agree with Demons. I would prefer to build it myself, it would just give me that much more satisfaction. The system is nice, and I love the case. I'm usually not a fan of windows in cases, and the reason for that being is that they're too big and expose the ugly drive mounts. The window in this case, however, is nice and small and only shows off the good parts of the interior. As far as everyone commenting on the RAM, yes, it's a $7000 PC, but as far as RAM goes, you only need so much. Even with 6Gb, you should still be able to flawlessly switch between Crysis, your Internet Browser, a Media Player and that video conversion software you have running in the background, whilst still having about a gig of free RAM left. Getting more is just plain silly, the money is better spend upgrading your CPU or getting a better video card.
  17. ElShotte

ElShotte TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 163

Oh oh oh, Could you guys do Arma 2 benchmark on it? That game is a power hog as well...
  18. compu4

compu4 Newcomer, in training Posts: 46

I think not. This PC is quite expensive, but it is nowhere near the most expensive or most powerful pcs. Many upper echelon pc makers now sell pcs that use the EVGA SR2 motherboard and have 2 Hexa Core Xenons, 4 GTX 480 Cards, and 32 gb of ram.

Example: The Origin Big O
    http://www.originpc.com/thebigo-config.asp
  19. compu4

compu4 Newcomer, in training Posts: 46

Also, where is the Metro 2033 benchmark?
  20. LOL, that system looks like my high school lockers. An off the shelf mountain mods case and an XBOX 360 that doesn't even interface with the TV? That's ridiculous.
  21. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

Well, if you have more money than you know what to do with it this is a fine example of modern hardware sweetness. It's really no different than a Porsche or Ferrari, most people can't afford it but plenty of people would love to own it.
  22. mikeusru

mikeusru Newcomer, in training Posts: 47

I'd love to see some price depreciation graphs for the top models. How many years does it take for a $30,000 system to drop 10-fold in price? my guess is two. Granted the various uber-expensive cooling methods may have a longer half-life than the GPUs, for example.
  23. "LOL, that system looks like my high school lockers. An off the shelf mountain mods case and an XBOX 360 that doesn't even interface with the TV? That's ridiculous."

What I meant to say was - an XBOX 360 that doesn't interface at all with the PC - who the heck would put that Big Zero in their living room?
  24. Serag

Serag TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 179

A pleasurable to read review for a piece of beast, thanks TS!
  25. Razerblade

Razerblade Newcomer, in training Posts: 117

Wow, just Wow! What an awesome machine that is. Very good read as well. If only I had endless amounts of cash! (Back to dream world I go!)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.