Majority of Americans believe bad weather affects cloud computing

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Cloud computing is a concept that many Americans have likely heard about and even use on a daily basis but according to a recent survey from Wakefield Research for Citrix, the majority of respondents have virtually no idea what it is.

About 29 percent of the 1,006 people polled thought cloud computing had to do with an actual cloud, the sky or something related to weather.

Furthermore, 51 percent of those surveyed believe bad weather would interfere with cloud computing while only 16 percent correctly understood the phrase as a computer network to store, access and share data from Internet-connected devices.

A full 54 percent of Americans say they never use the cloud but after further probing, it turns out that 95 percent of respondents actually do. Almost one in three people say it’s a thing of the future and 15 percent believe that only those in the tech industry use it. Both assumptions, of course, are incorrect.

One in five Americas say they have pretended to know what the cloud is or how it works while 14 percent have lied about it during a job interview. More than half (56 percent) don’t think other people referring to the cloud in conversation really know what it is either.

All things aside, 68 percent feel that the cloud is a good thing after being told what it is. 35 percent recognize the cost-saving benefits and say it helps improve consumer engagement while 32 percent feel it will help with small business growth.

Permalink to story.

[FONT=Calibri]Cloud computing circa 2012 is analogous to mainframe computing circa 1970. Big powerful computer(s) connected to less powerful computers/terminals/browsers/phones/tablets.[/FONT]

Thank you republicans. Only the rich need a good education so that we can have more staff for all the McJobs.

Greed is eating America.

Frankly, my ISP needs to fix something... every time it rains, my throughput drops to 350 kbps. I did't realize how widespread the problem was.

LOL...dammit, I hate living in America sometimes. The stupid is huge with some people. Sheesh...

Not everyone knows what a Cloud computing, Cloud storage is. Not just in USA. It's happening all over the world, especially in China, Russia,..... NORTH KOREA ! Not everyone is a programmer.

since we are all subscribers for techspot, most of us are familiar with technology. But imagine if we work in Biology related field, or Geology related field jobs. Do we HAVE to know what a cloud computing is ?

Yes.... like a basic technicism....cuz its a thing of common sense and impossible to believe that the weather, affects everythings....thats why we have schools, maybe free maybe not but you go to have the experience and not be ignorant or at least empty

Thank you republicans. Only the rich need a good education so that we can have more staff for all the McJobs.

Greed is eating America.

College isn't free, get over it. It doesn't matter whether you're democrat or republican anymore anyways, the representatives of both parties are shills for the corporations. The all line their pockets with lobbyist money.

[FONT=Arial]
Not everyone knows what a Cloud computing, Cloud storage is. Not just in USA. It's happening all over the world, especially in China, Russia,..... NORTH KOREA !
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]The people of North Korea ? They haven't yet mastered the notions of independant thought or personal opinions. Hardly surprising that cutting edge tech doesn't figure highly.[/FONT]
You are always welcome to leave
Advocating lowering the average IQ's of two countries?

/jk

To Upload to the Cloud.

Take your Harddrive, Pictures, Camera and throw it in the Air, aiming high up at the Clouds!

:O

I don't think my step dad knew what it really was, unless he was attempting to "troll" me (I am starting to hate the world Troll)

Pardon me if I'm wrong but wouldn't bad weather effect cloud computing if it knocks out your Internet connection?

I'm constantly loosing Internet during storms because the phone lines have deteriorated over the years and they only replace lines that have obviously (leaving intermittent problem lines for future irritation) gone bad. I guess you are looking at me as if I'm an id-iot because I think bad weather can contribute to problems with cloud computing.

What a waste of time and money. What next? :

9 out of 10 agree that the 10th guy is just an non-agreeable bastard.

What a waste of time and money. What next? :

9 out of 10 agree that the 10th guy is just an non-agreeable bastard.
Not to mention the other professions that 90% of the population knows nothing about. I don't mind being one who knows absolutely nothing about certain professions. That doesn't mean there is not many people in these professions, saying "I weep for my country" because I don't know what they do.

@Sarcasm
Ever heard of statistical analysis and methods? A good statistical methodology can give a very good representation of the population. Go learn more about it.

I'd like to buy a ticket to the earliest trip to mars. No, no round-trip. I don't care if there is no breathable air, just get me away from this planet.

I always believed it was possible to store data in clouds and extract them with giant vacuum cleaners.

The cloud is just a scam anyway. Hold your data for you, and then charge money through DATA PLANS just to access it.

Back