Memory what's......

Status
Not open for further replies.

oulooool

Hello everyone, I am still brand spankin' new here but I had a couple of questions I wanted to know if you anyone here could help me out a little bit? I am looking to buy a 1gig stick of DDR for my mobo but I don't know the difference besides speedwise (eg pc3000+ vs 3200+ and so forth)

What is 3 or when it says something like CAS 3-3-3 ?
What should I be looking for?

I want buy some good memory, I bought cheap generic stuff once a long time ago and it crapped out on me, so needless to say I won't go that route ever again!

I currently am running off a Asus K8N-E Deluxe Mobo with an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 1mb L2 Cache processor I know I need 184 pin memory but I just wanted to know what you would recommend? What is good to the best memory? Any links would be EXTREMELY appreciated. Thanks alot in advance to everyone.

Wow! Thank you!

I just wanted to say thank you alot!! The more and more I browse these forums the more and more I am learning a ton of stuff, some in which I can't believe I didn't think of it on my own hehee..... I am gonna love these forums. Thank you so much that will save me money and get me some good ram! Greatly Appreciated :D

Ballistix memory is used on those PCs that require the fastest possible RAM, mostly for gamers and overclockers.
If you have cash to spare, by all means buy it.
Indeed, the lower the CL, the better.
Read up on Crucail's website in their FAQ for more information.
CL=2.5 is plenty good for normal use.

Cool thanks alot realblackstuff appreciate your info. =)

I use my comp for many things and games as well, so typically I like it high end so I can run almost anything I want or need :) I am gonna buy another HD one that is SATA I was wondering if you or anyone knows anything about Maxtor? Is it a good brand so forth? I have always used WD but this price and it sounds great. Any info on Maxtor good\bad?

Maxtor HD I want to buy

Originally posted by realblackstuff
Go for the same size HD from Seagate
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-148-019&depa=0

It is faster, cheaper and has a 5 year warranty. (Maxtor only 1 year)
Or buy a 120GB Seagate for the same price as a 80GB Maxtor.
Both models are OEM and need the SATA power-adapter if you have not yet got one.

Well the maxtor looked faster it said SATA 150? What caught my eye was "Ideal for High End Gaming" part, the seek time was 9.3 as seagates is 8.?? It's only 20$ and the maxtor is retail. I don't really know much about HD's I always used WD just want to see if there is anything else just as good a bit cheaper. I try not to worry about price as much when it comes to a 20$ difference only becuase I learned my lesson the hard way a ways back when I went cheap it ended up costing me alot more in the end =\ I am just curious. Have you had any good or bad experiences with Seagate or Maxtor? Again apprecaite the help :grinthumb

shorter seek time is better-
The Seagate drive is excellent.
RealBlackStuff will never lead you astray.

Average seek time is the #1 thing you should look at when buying a HD for speed. The second is the sustained throughput (no HD maker wants to quote that for some reason..)

And really.. Don't believe the crap like "ideal for High End Gaming". Look at the numbers and if those are equal, start looking at users' opinions (not the opinions of someone who is selling you the thing).

The Seagate has a 5 year warranty because it is OEM, where as the Maxtor you are thinking about has a 1 year warranty because it is Retail. All retail hard drives have only a 1 year warranty. It is better to buy OEM because you get a longer warranty. Most manufacturers have a 3 year warranty for OEM (5 years for top of the line SATA hard drives like those Raptors). Seagate is so confident in the reliability of their hard drives now that they increased the warranty of basically all lines of their OEM hard drives to 5 years.

Seagate is a good brand too (my friend talks about how quiet his Seagate drive is). I plan on getting a Seagate myself.

/me looks longingly at the 'real black stuff' in his mug and despite the murk, relizes it is only coffee

I guess you aren't quite that good ;)

Wow thanks to everyone I really appreciate that!! I will be looking at the seagate by fri. then ;):grinthumb Thanks everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back