TechSpot

Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse revealed early

By Jos
Aug 18, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Looks like Microsoft's slow reveal of its new "touchy" and "flat" device has been spoiled by a trigger-happy German retailer. Even though no official announcement has been made, notebooksbilliger.de prematurely listed -- and promptly pulled -- the Arc Touch Mouse on its site, complete with details and images of the device itself.

Read the whole story

2. Cueto_99

Cueto_99 TS Enthusiast Posts: 247   +12

This mouse has good looks, and the touch scroll wheel sounds stylish, but I don't see myself comfortably using it. I used to hold and move the mouse by it sides, and, since the arc mouse has no sides at all, I guess it might be very difficult to use...

3. kyosuke

kyosuke TS Rookie Posts: 47

kind of looks like a star trek blaster

4. example1013

example1013 TS Enthusiast Posts: 280

I don't like the sound of a touch-based scroll wheel. It sounds too easy to accidentally hit while clicking, or grabbing the mouse or something. The traditional clickwheel provides resistance and is off the face of the mouse, so it's quite hard to accidentally hit.

5. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Posts: 369   +40

Have you tried the Magic Mouse, example1013? I've never had any problems accidentally scrolling, but others may have had different experiences with it. Its a slick device, but its not fully supported in windows. It will be nice to have a native touch mouse available.

I'm curious as to how it flattens out... If it is flexible, how does it retain its shape when you have your palm resting on it?

6. AfricanTech

AfricanTech TS Rookie Posts: 71

@prismatics and example1013

I had no end of trouble with accidental scrolling with the Apple Magic Mouse - after trying valiantly for about 2 months, I eventually gave up and bought a wireless logitech mx - immediate release. The Magic Mouse is now gathering dust in a drawer.

7. Richy2k9

Richy2k9 TS Enthusiast Posts: 515

big lol ;) ...

i like the style though, well we'll need some time to adapt.

cheers!

8. I could see the design being really good for sub-optimal surfaces, or to avoid getting grime all over the bottom of your mouse.

9. It looks like a hand held vacum cleaner

10. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Maniac Posts: 431   +8

I wonder, did Microsoft actually test the ergonomics of a half circle under the palm of your hand or is it purely a marketing thing? Because of this thing can keep my right hand from feeling like it has arthritis from time to time, I'd consider one.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.