TechSpot

Microsoft backtracks: Drops daily check-ins, used games restrictions on Xbox One

By Jos
Jun 19, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. It appears that all the negative feedback directed at the Xbox One has forced Microsoft to reconsider its stance on several of the console’s requirements. In an updated Q&A page, the company just revealed that their next generation console will...

Read more

2. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 877   +130

For those that wonder why people ***** and moan about stuff they don't like... this is why.

avoidz, Auth3ntic0, Puiu and 5 others like this.
  3. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,286   +232

Haha, intelligence won out over greed (finally). I guess when a big retailer like Amazon does a poll and people are overwhelmingly choosing the PS4 over the Xbox One (at 9 to 1 last I saw), maybe even big companies like Microsoft have to stop and rethink their strategies? You have to wonder if MS thought that their flashy TV and Kinect integration bells and whistles would completely overwhelm us simpleton consumers, and keep us from noticing the severe limitations and imposing DRM they were hoping to sneak in... Either way, it's all damage control from now until launch, and probably right into the holiday season, I would imagine. Think any heads will roll over this little miscalculation?

Auth3ntic0, H3llion and psycros like this.
  4. LOL.... XBOX180 !!! Am still getting a PS4. M$oft you can't be trusted.... who says you wont change policies again if people buy your expensive DVR that looks like a VCR.

5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,003   +1,503

Score one for everyone that made this possible. Now the PS4 and XBone can be fairly compared.

psycros and SantistaUSA like this.
  6. Vrmithrax

That's the best part... It's not even a DVR! Live TV only... They basically put an Xbox, a Kinect, and one of their old WebTV products into a romantic honeymoon suite, threw in a case of Tequila, and let nature take its course. 9 months later, the Xbox One was born...

jonelsorel, Wendig0, H3llion and 3 others like this.
  7. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

Sony changed their policy on installing Linux when that was a huge selling point.

spectrenad and m4a4 like this.
  8. davislane1

davislane1 TS Guru Posts: 1,338   +494

After seeing that Amazon poll I knew they wouldn't double-down on that position. You've gotta cut your losers if you want to make money, and their attempt at game regulation was setting up to be a huge loser.

SantistaUSA likes this.
  9. How can Sony be trusted?? Anyone remember a few years ago when Sony put a rootkit on audio CDs? Once you put their music CD in your computer it installed a rootkit preventing you from copying the CD. Sony also removed the ability to install Linux on the PS3. A feature they advertised to sell more consoles.

Obviously MS had to change their stance, but nothing prevents them from forcing this back on their customers 2-3 years from now. In order to use XBOX Live MS forces you to update your dashboard. Anyone here remember when the dashboard had little to no advertising?

10. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,349   +398

That's more like it. But I'm shocked that MS didn't stick to it's usual stance of "this is the way it is and you're going to like it."

Auth3ntic0, hammer2085 and Vrmithrax like this.
  11. Yup Sony removed Linux...then the system got hacked to holy hell.You don't even need hardware besides a thumb drive to hack it.
    Well, when it came out that was true, they fixed the hole in new firmware, but if you have 3.55 or lower you can upgrade to 3.55 and hack the damn thing with a thumb drive.
    So sure, they can change it down the road, but that's just going to speed up the hacking initiative against it.

psycros likes this.

12. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 721   +30

Someone screwed up big time. I think I'll probably get one now though. I want to play the best version of FIFA 14 and that's going to be on the next gen consoles as ea aren't doing a PC port with their new ignite engine included. Whatever the reason, I wasn't comfortable with the ps4 and was going to skip the consoles until this announcement.

13. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 975   +87

It's a little bitter sweet. Sharing digital on-line content with my family would have been a boon. And having to feed the CD-tray is a step backwards. But the majority voiced their opinions and got their wish granted.

Jos, m4a4 and SantistaUSA like this.
  14. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 721   +30

I must be the only person who likes the design of the Xbox one. I also like the new redesigned 360.

15. m4a4

m4a4 TS Addict Posts: 531   +146

I just hope they drop this "Don't want to look biased towards digital downloads or discs" mentality they have. The family 10 sharing and lending were good features, and they should've grabbed the best of the old policies and the 360's policies...

Otherwise, I am happy that they listened to the majority of their customers... Bold move to do such a backtrack...

Jos likes this.
  16. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Enthusiast Posts: 511   +84

Next time you guys don't think you can influence a corporation...remember this.

avoidz, m4a4 and cliffordcooley like this.
  17. m4a4

It has DVR capabilities last I checked (it's how they recorded a fight in the E3 stage demo of KI), so you are wrong :p

18. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Enthusiast Posts: 511   +84

Microsoft saw the preorder numbers. They must be getting spanked, royally.

19. m4a4

I honestly don't mind the advertising. Heck, it even made me aware of "Pacific Rim" which looks like it will be an awesome movie...
    So basically what I'm saying is, it's done in a way that only people who haven't used the 360 can complain about :p

20. Jos

Jos TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 2,085   +66 Staff Member

Agreed with 9Nails and m4a4. There were some cool features that are now being dropped, like family sharing and not having to feed the CD tray. I think Microsoft did a poor job communicating these features and was clumsy with some of the restrictions they planned to implement.

It's very likely that we'll see many updates to the Xbox One throughout the years so hopefully some of the original features will make their way back without the need for something as seemingly restrictive as online check-ins every 24 hours or no offline play.

spectrenad, psycros, NTAPRO and 2 others like this.
  21. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 633   +60

I hope this happens as well. The problem I have with bitching is people mostly just give noise with little constructive feedback. It seems Microsoft listened to the noise that drowns out actual criticism. Some of those features were very nice, and I hope they are added as well.

22. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

Aw, now there's not much to rub in the face of xbox anymore lol

cliffordcooley likes this.
  23. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,003   +1,503

WOW, all this time and I never knew it was the consumers responsibility to help in designing products. I knew we always b_tched about things, but it never occurred to me it was our place to fix issues. If it is the consumers place, why does every company have R&D departments?

What is so wrong with R&D presenting a product/solution and consumers answering with feedback? Feedback of which may be positive or negative, either way they both are constructive.

psycros likes this.
  24. Vrmithrax

Hmmm, well the hands-on and other reports I've been reading say otherwise. Like this one over at engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/19/xbox-one-live-tv-microsoft-history-what-to-expect/

They specifically spell out that the Xbox One is NOT a DVR, and doesn't even have capacities (yet) to integrate with your existing DVR for scheduling... Meaning you have to use the DVR in a separate session, outside of the X-O.

This one mentions (in an interview with Microsoft) that there MAY be DVR functionality added in later, but for now it's live TV only:

http://www.businessinsider.com/xbox-one-dvr-2013-5

So, either everyone is getting it wrong, or there are 2 different versions of the Xbox One out there.

Puiu and psycros like this.
  25. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,164   +175

It took the threat of a sales bloodbath to do it. Well at least they got the hint. I hope whoever came up with the idea in the first place is shown the door for not being in touch with the market so badly.

cliffordcooley and psycros like this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.