Microsoft backtracks: Drops daily check-ins, used games restrictions on Xbox One

Jos

Staff

microsoft drops xbox gaming xbox one

It appears that all the negative feedback directed at the Xbox One has forced Microsoft to reconsider its stance on several of the console’s requirements. In an updated Q&A page, the company just revealed that their next generation console will no longer need to check in with the company’s servers at least once every 24 hours in order to let you play games, and that there will be no limitations to using and sharing discs.

The move comes amidst heavy criticism following E3, where Sony took a few jabs at Microsoft and essentially won the gaming crowd over by announcing all the things that the PlayStation 4 wouldn’t do.

Microsoft says an online connection will be required during setup, but once that’s done you’ll be able to play games offline and take your Xbox One anywhere. Likewise, sharing will work as it does today on Xbox 360 -- that is, gamers will be able to trade or gift physical copies of games without paying any additional fees.

Regional restrictions have been dropped too, and games downloaded from Xbox Live will be playable offline.

Microsoft warns that some of these changes will impact some of the scenarios previously announced for Xbox One. For one thing, downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold, and though it’s unclear if games are still installed on the hard drive, playing disc based games will now require that the disc be in the tray.

The company says they’ve heard the message loud and clear, and since games will still be available as digital downloads on day of release, gamers will get the choice of how they want to consume content.

Permalink to story.

Haha, intelligence won out over greed (finally). I guess when a big retailer like Amazon does a poll and people are overwhelmingly choosing the PS4 over the Xbox One (at 9 to 1 last I saw), maybe even big companies like Microsoft have to stop and rethink their strategies? You have to wonder if MS thought that their flashy TV and Kinect integration bells and whistles would completely overwhelm us simpleton consumers, and keep us from noticing the severe limitations and imposing DRM they were hoping to sneak in... Either way, it's all damage control from now until launch, and probably right into the holiday season, I would imagine. Think any heads will roll over this little miscalculation?

LOL.... XBOX180 !!! Am still getting a PS4. M$oft you can't be trusted.... who says you wont change policies again if people buy your expensive DVR that looks like a VCR.

That's the best part... It's not even a DVR! Live TV only... They basically put an Xbox, a Kinect, and one of their old WebTV products into a romantic honeymoon suite, threw in a case of Tequila, and let nature take its course. 9 months later, the Xbox One was born...

After seeing that Amazon poll I knew they wouldn't double-down on that position. You've gotta cut your losers if you want to make money, and their attempt at game regulation was setting up to be a huge loser.

How can Sony be trusted?? Anyone remember a few years ago when Sony put a rootkit on audio CDs? Once you put their music CD in your computer it installed a rootkit preventing you from copying the CD. Sony also removed the ability to install Linux on the PS3. A feature they advertised to sell more consoles.

Obviously MS had to change their stance, but nothing prevents them from forcing this back on their customers 2-3 years from now. In order to use XBOX Live MS forces you to update your dashboard. Anyone here remember when the dashboard had little to no advertising?

Yup Sony removed Linux...then the system got hacked to holy hell.You don't even need hardware besides a thumb drive to hack it.
Well, when it came out that was true, they fixed the hole in new firmware, but if you have 3.55 or lower you can upgrade to 3.55 and hack the damn thing with a thumb drive.
So sure, they can change it down the road, but that's just going to speed up the hacking initiative against it.

Someone screwed up big time. I think I'll probably get one now though. I want to play the best version of FIFA 14 and that's going to be on the next gen consoles as ea aren't doing a PC port with their new ignite engine included. Whatever the reason, I wasn't comfortable with the ps4 and was going to skip the consoles until this announcement.

It's a little bitter sweet. Sharing digital on-line content with my family would have been a boon. And having to feed the CD-tray is a step backwards. But the majority voiced their opinions and got their wish granted.

I must be the only person who likes the design of the Xbox one. I also like the new redesigned 360.

I just hope they drop this "Don't want to look biased towards digital downloads or discs" mentality they have. The family 10 sharing and lending were good features, and they should've grabbed the best of the old policies and the 360's policies...

Otherwise, I am happy that they listened to the majority of their customers... Bold move to do such a backtrack...

LOL.... XBOX180 !!! Am still getting a PS4. M$oft you can't be trusted.... who says you wont change policies again if people buy your expensive DVR that looks like a VCR.

That's the best part... It's not even a DVR! Live TV only... They basically put an Xbox, a Kinect, and one of their old WebTV products into a romantic honeymoon suite, threw in a case of Tequila, and let nature take its course. 9 months later, the Xbox One was born...
It has DVR capabilities last I checked (it's how they recorded a fight in the E3 stage demo of KI), so you are wrong :p

How can Sony be trusted?? Anyone remember a few years ago when Sony put a rootkit on audio CDs? Once you put their music CD in your computer it installed a rootkit preventing you from copying the CD. Sony also removed the ability to install Linux on the PS3. A feature they advertised to sell more consoles.

Obviously MS had to change their stance, but nothing prevents them from forcing this back on their customers 2-3 years from now. In order to use XBOX Live MS forces you to update your dashboard. Anyone here remember when the dashboard had little to no advertising?
I honestly don't mind the advertising. Heck, it even made me aware of "Pacific Rim" which looks like it will be an awesome movie...
So basically what I'm saying is, it's done in a way that only people who haven't used the 360 can complain about :p

Agreed with 9Nails and m4a4. There were some cool features that are now being dropped, like family sharing and not having to feed the CD tray. I think Microsoft did a poor job communicating these features and was clumsy with some of the restrictions they planned to implement.

It's very likely that we'll see many updates to the Xbox One throughout the years so hopefully some of the original features will make their way back without the need for something as seemingly restrictive as online check-ins every 24 hours or no offline play.

Agreed with 9Nails and m4a4. There were some cool features that are now being dropped, like family sharing and not having to feed the CD tray. I think Microsoft did a poor job communicating these features and was clumsy with some of the restrictions they planned to implement.

It's very likely that we'll see many updates to the Xbox One throughout the years so hopefully some of the original features will make their way back without the need for something as seemingly restrictive as online check-ins every 24 hours or no offline play.

I hope this happens as well. The problem I have with bitching is people mostly just give noise with little constructive feedback. It seems Microsoft listened to the noise that drowns out actual criticism. Some of those features were very nice, and I hope they are added as well.

The problem I have with bitching is people mostly just give noise with little constructive feedback.
WOW, all this time and I never knew it was the consumers responsibility to help in designing products. I knew we always b_tched about things, but it never occurred to me it was our place to fix issues. If it is the consumers place, why does every company have R&D departments?

What is so wrong with R&D presenting a product/solution and consumers answering with feedback? Feedback of which may be positive or negative, either way they both are constructive.

It has DVR capabilities last I checked (it's how they recorded a fight in the E3 stage demo of KI), so you are wrong :p

Hmmm, well the hands-on and other reports I've been reading say otherwise. Like this one over at engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/19/xbox-one-live-tv-microsoft-history-what-to-expect/

They specifically spell out that the Xbox One is NOT a DVR, and doesn't even have capacities (yet) to integrate with your existing DVR for scheduling... Meaning you have to use the DVR in a separate session, outside of the X-O.

This one mentions (in an interview with Microsoft) that there MAY be DVR functionality added in later, but for now it's live TV only:

http://www.businessinsider.com/xbox-one-dvr-2013-5

So, either everyone is getting it wrong, or there are 2 different versions of the Xbox One out there.

It took the threat of a sales bloodbath to do it. Well at least they got the hint. I hope whoever came up with the idea in the first place is shown the door for not being in touch with the market so badly.

Back