Microsoft has received over 200,000 feedback submissions for Windows 10

Shawn Knight

Staff member

microsoft windows insider program windows windows 10 beta testers

Microsoft’s next generation operating system is off to a solid start. In less than two weeks, more than a million people have signed up for the company’s Windows Insider Program to provide feedback on their experience with the Windows 10 Technical Preview.

In a blog post on the matter, Microsoft’s Joe Belfiore said they’ve received more than 200,000 pieces of feedback via the Windows Feedback app.

Interestingly enough, 64 percent of Windows 10 Technical Preview installs are on actual PCs while the remaining 36 percent of users have installed it on a virtual machine. These numbers suggest that a lot of the feedback that Microsoft is receiving is based on “medium-term” use and not just a few minutes of experimentation.

Belfiore also points out that the number of app-launches that happen on a device is a good indicator of solid use. Microsoft has found that 68 percent of users are launching more than seven different apps each day while a quarter of users are launching more than 26 apps each day.

A script-base analysis of the top feedback requests show that most people want the ability to move or disable the new search and / or taskview buttons. Other popular requests include wanting Microsoft to add an animation or transition when opening the Start menu, make it easier to use a local account and to add tabs to File Explorer.

What are your thoughts on the Technical Preview thus far?

Permalink to story.

I'm glad to hear that so many people are giving the Technical Preview a try. I have been enjoying my time with it so far.

"...make it easier to use a local account ..."

I want more info on this. So does it mean that as of right now, you'd be hard pressed NOT to use windows with your Hotmail account?
Based on my personal experience, it was really hard to bypass the screen that REQUIRED you to input your hotmail.com/outlook.com account.

If this stays true - Hello Win7!!

I'm not the least bit interested in it at the moment, once it's officially released then I'll take it for a trial spin for a few weeks before I decide to splurge on it. I was caught out with Win 8 and although it has improved a bit through the release of packs I won't make the same mistake again.

Hopefully they don't ignore all of the feedback like Sinofsky did with Windows 8.

I want more info on this. So does it mean that as of right now, you'd be hard pressed NOT to use windows with your Hotmail account?
Based on my personal experience, it was really hard to bypass the screen that REQUIRED you to input your hotmail.com/outlook.com account.

You just unplug your Ethernet cable and your fine, for additional accounts it gives you the option... not a huge deal.

I'm not the least bit interested in it at the moment, once it's officially released then I'll take it for a trial spin for a few weeks before I decide to splurge on it. I was caught out with Win 8 and although it has improved a bit through the release of packs I won't make the same mistake again.
I still think that people's antagonism against windows 8 is unfounded. Even as a keyboard and mouse user I actually find the highly customizable start screen nicer to use than a start menu that you have to drill through multiple folders to get to what you are looking for. In fact in the preview the emphasis on the keyboard and mouse usage for Windows 8 apps is dumb. No one really uses those apps with a keyboard/mouse and making them more functional for that aspect makes them almost useless for touch interfaces. They actually went backwards in this sense.

Its definitely got some rough edges. Some other major requests I've seen for the future builds (all of which I support):

* Fix the visual scaling in third party apps. Most look their running at 1024x768.

* Bring back Aero or at least SOME degree of eye candy. Our desktop systems can easily handle it and it adds visual distinction. The Metro look is still not very loved.

* Move the tiles to the desktop where they can be used like the gadgets of old or least let us pin them to the taskbar. They serve no purpose being crammed into the start menu.

* Consistency: either go all-in on the modern style, roll back to something more like Windows 7 or allow users to switch between the two.

* Themes: this is closely related to the previous request - bring back themes!

* Stop hiding every power user function. We shouldn't need a hack to find the control panel.

Those are all the popular ones I can recall off the top of my head.

It will be great to have the ability to create a Local windows account that does not require you to have a Microsoft account, or an email account tied to it. I know the email option is an extra layer of security and it is great especially for security conscious person, but for a workstation used by kids for basic browsing and games, I careless for security, and want to be able to use a simple local user account, without going through the step of disconnecting the network cable during setup to create a local account. Else, Windows 7 is still on if that does not change. This was one of the biggest turnoff with Windows 8.1. Make that an option to use local accounts and many will jump in the bandwagon.

All you have to do is press skip when it asks for an account and it takes you to local account creation.

Although I've found great ease of use while on multiple computers with a single account, shared configurations for example I won't have to retype on another PC, though I have no care about online privacy, there might be other paranoid people who won't give out any information at all, so... to each their own :p

Bring back Aero or at least SOME degree of eye candy.
Skeuomorphism is dead. And good riddance. So no, I hope Microsoft does not bring back the ridiculous faux glass effects, and continue making interfaces that actually make sense on a computer screen instead of senseless metaphors for physical materials.
Also, Aero was not removed from Windows 8. You still have Aero Peek, Aero Snap, and all animations Vista and 7 had (even the "windows fading from/into screen" when opening or closing windows). Aero is still there. What you're asking for is faux glass effects. And no, that's the part Microsoft should not bring back.
want to be able to use a simple local user account, without going through the step of disconnecting the network cable during setup
Windows 8.1 does have the option to setup a local account, no cable unplugging needed.

In Windows 8, right clicking the start button gave you a variety of "power user" options. In Windows 10 that feature is still there, or you can press start button on keyboard and type control, and you can pin it to the start menu or taskbar if needed. I'm not sure why it would be hard to find the control panel or other features.

You can also google windows 8 key commands and find that simply hitting "Windows key + X" brings up all of the power user options.

The best way to learn how to streamline your pc experience is to unplug the mouse for a few days. When you can navigate your pc and fly through apps with keystrokes, you can easily triple your productivity once you start using the mouse again.

Alt + Tab to switch windos
Windows + Tab to change apps
Alt + F4 to close apps/windows
Alt + D To go straight to desktop
Ctrl + F to search
Ctrl + Scroll to zoom, on any document, web page and most apps.

There are literally over a hundred commands that can make any version of windows a cakewalk. Most people are a bit to lazy to invest a few minutes into research.

You could always bypass this in Windows 8 or 8.1. In the installation screen where it asks you for your account credentials, there is a phrase you can click on the bottom right that lets you proceed anyway.

To the guest posting above... Shhhhh, don't tell them that. It would ruin the Microsoft hate train they so love riding.

To the guest posting above... Shhhhh, don't tell them that. It would ruin the Microsoft hate train they so love riding.

That would be funny if there weren't millions of us riding the same train. In other words, you are in the minority when it comes to the people on each of the opposing trains. The weight of my train would shatter yours into a million pieces of steel if we were to collide head-on on the same set of tracks. There is a reason Microsoft put the ability to give feedback directly into the Technical Preview. They apparently don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Your WAY outnumbered in your love of Windows 8. Might you do you some good to remember that.

So far you don't have to. You can make a local account which I did as usual. But if you want to send feedback, you need to link it with an online email account, and the local account is then changed to that. I haven't been able to remove the link once created.

Bring back Aero or at least SOME degree of eye candy.
Skeuomorphism is dead. And good riddance. So no, I hope Microsoft does not bring back the ridiculous faux glass effects, and continue making interfaces that actually make sense on a computer screen instead of senseless metaphors for physical materials.
Also, Aero was not removed from Windows 8. You still have Aero Peek, Aero Snap, and all animations Vista and 7 had (even the "windows fading from/into screen" when opening or closing windows). Aero is still there. What you're asking for is faux glass effects. And no, that's the part Microsoft should not bring back.
want to be able to use a simple local user account, without going through the step of disconnecting the network cable during setup
Windows 8.1 does have the option to setup a local account, no cable unplugging needed.
Totally! Flat, bland, and "detail-less" visuals are the way to go! Might as well go to text only! /s

We have advanced 3D technology. Even the GPUs in phones can use detailed icons no problem and themes like you see in Win7. Minimalism is fine, but Microsoft is going way overboard and really cheaping out on it--there's no aesthetics whatsoever (I can poke my eye).

Totally! Flat, bland, and "detail-less" visuals are the way to go! Might as well go to text only! /s

We have advanced 3D technology. Even the GPUs in phones can use detailed icons no problem and themes like you see in Win7. Minimalism is fine, but Microsoft is going way overboard and really cheaping out on it--there's no aesthetics whatsoever (I can poke my eye).

Text only? Oh God yes. Wouldn't that be the bomb? Think of the performance gains. The system would probably boot 3 nano seconds faster than it does now. And the response times on a text only operating system on a quad-core CPU. The fps would be astronomical. Yes, I am glad they scaled back the graphics features in Windows 8 but I think they can do better. I think they can cut more pork. Let's shoot for 4-bit color using different shades of gray and no unnecessary animations or special effects for those of us with quad-core CPUs and 256-bit graphics cards. That would unnecessarily restrict the performance gains. Oh God, I am getting so excited just thinking about it now. The performance gains. Faster, faster FASTER!!!! At the expense of everything else. Do it!!!

It will be great to have the ability to create a Local windows account that does not require you to have a Microsoft account, or an email account tied to it. I know the email option is an extra layer of security and it is great especially for security conscious person, but for a workstation used by kids for basic browsing and games, I careless for security, and want to be able to use a simple local user account, without going through the step of disconnecting the network cable during setup to create a local account. Else, Windows 7 is still on if that does not change. This was one of the biggest turnoff with Windows 8.1. Make that an option to use local accounts and many will jump in the bandwagon.

You can skip the creation of a MS account and create a local account. I have created many local accounts on windows 8 + 8.1 pc's

What you're asking for is faux glass effects. And no, that's the part Microsoft should not bring back.
They don't have to bring it back. Just make it an option. You don't have to use it, you never did! So why are you bitching about the fact that it was present? Those of us that want it, should not be denied the option of keeping it.

Its definitely got some rough edges. Some other major requests I've seen for the future builds (all of which I support):

* Fix the visual scaling in third party apps. Most look their running at 1024x768.

* Bring back Aero or at least SOME degree of eye candy. Our desktop systems can easily handle it and it adds visual distinction. The Metro look is still not very loved.

* Move the tiles to the desktop where they can be used like the gadgets of old or least let us pin them to the taskbar. They serve no purpose being crammed into the start menu.

* Consistency: either go all-in on the modern style, roll back to something more like Windows 7 or allow users to switch between the two.

* Themes: this is closely related to the previous request - bring back themes!

* Stop hiding every power user function. We shouldn't need a hack to find the control panel.

Those are all the popular ones I can recall off the top of my head.

You imply you're a power user yet you couldn't find the Control Panel...? Not too sure about that!

What you're asking for is faux glass effects. And no, that's the part Microsoft should not bring back.
They don't have to bring it back. Just make it an option. You don't have to use it, you never did! So why are you bitching about the fact that it was present? Those of us that want it, should not be denied the option of keeping it.
You already have the option. There are plenty of third-party themes with faux glass effects (and many others for that matter).
But sure, Microsoft offering it as an option is fine. But it shouldn't be the default one, let alone the only one.
If your argument is "there's no aesthetics", then you have no argument. That's completely subjective.
In terms of visual design, the flat UIs companies are moving to are objectively better due correctly applying principles like ockham's razor and signal-to-noise ratio. If you personally dislike the style, fine, but wanting companies to move to objectively worse designs to satisfy your personal taste is just absurd.
And let me remind you that's the path everybody is taking (Windows, OS X, iOS, Android and even Chrome OS). So, first, that's not an accident or coincidence, and neither it is a passing fad. And second, dissing Windows about this doesn't really leave you with any other choice, given the other OSes are also adopting flat UIs.
Oh God, I am getting so excited just thinking about it now. The performance gains. Faster, faster FASTER!!!! At the expense of everything else. Do it!!!
It's funny how you clown make it as if this were about performance, yet you're probably compaining about how your phone's battery should last much longer and how poor Windows' battery life is compared to OS X.
Needless to say, it's not about performance. It's mostly about proper visual design as outlined above, and secondly about not wasting your already limited battery of pointless skeuomorphism.

It should be an option for those who want it but I certainly wouldn't see it as a default setting. Contrary to some people who think that their system is indicative of those as a whole, the vast majority of systems don't handle Aero all that well. Too many systems still get produced with integrated graphics and entry level RAM fit-outs. The problem with disabling Aero is further compounded by the fact that those most unlikely to be able to immediately effect the settings change would be those most affected by a slow/unresponsive system (entry level system, minimal graphics, minimal system RAM)...as evidenced by the sheer number of forum threads here and elsewhere complaining of a lack of responsiveness in Vista/W7

It should be an option for those who want it but I certainly wouldn't see it as a default setting.
That is all I'm asking for as far as Aero is concerned. Make it an optional download, I don't care but, let me keep it.
Contrary to some people who think that their system is indicative of those as a whole, the vast majority of systems don't handle Aero all that well.
When an outdated i3-2100 runs Aero just fine and the IGP in all products being produced now is equal or better, I have to question why you would say that. It almost sounds as if you are saying, the vast majority are updating their old crap to a new operating system. What it boils down to is Windows is no longer a desktop OS, or we would still have eye candy features we once did. Sure it may work on a desktop, but it is not enhanced for the desktop.

Back