Microsoft killed cross-platform project because PC gamers wrecked console gamers

Matthew DeCarlo

PC gamers have long mocked the use of handheld controllers as an input method for shooters and other genres that require fast, precise actions. Apparently, that attitude isn't unwarranted, based on a blog post by the founder of Voodoo PC and current CTO of HP's gaming division, Rahul Sood.

According to Sood's sources, "many many months ago," Microsoft set out on a Xbox Live project that would let PC and console users interact on some form of united multiplayer platform – a grand idea on paper. In practice however, it's said that PC gamers "destroyed" console players every time.

The slaughter was so bad, Sood says that Microsoft even pitted "mediocre" PC gamers against "the best" console gamers in testing, and the results were unchanged: the keyboard and mouse prevailed. It's not clear what titles were played, but Unreal and Gears of War are mentioned.

Displeased with its findings, Microsoft supposedly cancelled the project to spare its Xbox team and players the embarrassment. I think most of us can agree a keyboard and mouse is more precise, but what do you prefer and why? Feel free to preach the virtues of your input device in the comments.

Permalink to story.

WE'RE NUMBER ONE! WE'RE NUMBER ONE! ;)

I'm a hard-core PC gamer, but every once in a while I use a controller (Dirt2 comes to mind). Every time I do, I feel I'm taking ten steps backwards. There is just no accuracy with a controller, plus menu options and alternative fire options are a royal pain in the butt.

Give me a keyboard and mouse any day of the week.

This is probably a prime reason why the Champions MMO never saw a console version, even though it was worked on and supposed to release when the PC side hit. I saw all sorts of odd reasons for it, like licensing issues, ridiculous MS requirements to allow it, etc. Makes me wonder now if MS was just hedging to keep gamers from realizing how much better the PC side is, so they wouldn't hurt their Xbox sales...

Certain games are better with a controller. Mostly sports and racing though. For shooters 1st or 3rd, mouse and keyboard are the ONLY choice imo.

It would be nice to have a wireless mouse and some one handed device. One which could allow all the other movement and action keys. It would have enough buttons to fulfil a single gamepad with analogue stick (ala nunchuck) and the mouse should have a good number of well placed buttons to give choice on control scheme.

I saw one such product that could of been a start, if the thing were wireless!

I play on both and prefer the feel of a controller in my hand. Keyboard hotkeys (F1 through F9 giving me 9 attacks for instance) are a big advantage on using a keyboard and mouse though. Granted, I'm not a hardcore gamer so my hands are never sure to hit the right keys on the keyboard either. My guess is that casual gamers would prefer the controller and hardcore gamers a keyboard.

I just printed this to show to all my friends who say console controls are waay better. Thank you techspot.

Oh baby! i usually post comments as a 'guest' but i just had to make an account for this.Mouse and keyboard all the way!

we can play any game that is made for any console with out problems. (Not counting if its a bad port or bugs and issues not with the gamer) Not to mention that console gamers really miss out on strategy; turn based or RTS games. Sure they have them but theres no way you can play it well, with a controller.

Its a shame that pc gamers have been getting the short end of the stick lately. (DRM)

Agree. I like to play PES and some racing games with a controller. All the rest (RPG, FPS, Adventures and so on) => KEYBOARD and MOUSE!

No matter how much I tried console I would always get too aggravated to go on. PC gaming is the way to go; precision, performance and graphics can’t be bit by any console out there. The potential of a PC is limitless by overclocking or upgrading parts.

TomSEA said:

I'm a hard-core PC gamer, but every once in a while I use a controller (Dirt2 comes to mind). Every time I do, I feel I'm taking ten steps backwards. There is just no accuracy with a controller, plus menu options and alternative fire options are a royal pain in the butt.

Preach it Brother! Can I get an AMEN!

For shooters it's always been no contest, Mouse & keyboard are better. For platform games the controller may have the advantage. I always wished that console games had the option to use a keyboard and mouse. I miss playing the console shooters with my console addicted family members and they're not hardcore PC gamers like i am. Regardless, PC rules baby!

Mouse and keyboard are the best, especially when you have the option of configuring your keys. But when you get game on your PC, that is a direct port from the console one, WITHOUT the option of remapping your keys ( like BLUR, racing game).. it is very frustrating!

This reminds me of Quake III on Dreamcast where console players and PC players could play against each other. It was very innovative at the time, and still is.

For certain games, my 360 controller is the preferred weapon, but WSAD is still the combo of the god's as far as I'm concerned.

The only things I use a controller for are racing games and flying games, M&KB is better for everything else.

Ok I have to be different here. I started playing on consoles long before I every tried PC gaming, and I'm still partial to a control for most of my gaming(and console gaming in general). Whether or not its actually true, I feel I have better control over the game using a controller for most games. I mean I can't imagine playing a fighting game with a keyboard and mouse O.o.

I will admit tho some games shouldn't be on consoles at all, like RTS. You need a mouse for that. Or most MMO's I cant imagine playing WoW with a gamepad.

Wow finally some proof!
I'm so sick of all my "friends" with their consoles saying that its just as good as the mouse for FPS games. The PC will never be beat as the best gaming platform.

Wendig0 said:
TomSEA said:

Preach it Brother! Can I get an AMEN!

Amen!

I use xbox controller on PC and I must say it feels like you've got a super high performance 360, sure it's not so accurate as the godly keyboard and mouse, but it feels good knowing you have the "option" to go against other players with the same input as them...with higher frame rates.

There only talking about Fps shooters, keyboard and mouse vs controller

AAAAAHAHAHAHA, poor S***box 360 players getting 'raped' =P

I'm quite new to PC gaming and so far I'm loving it but the keyboard and mouse will always be better than a gamepad at First Person Shooter games and Real Time Strategy games, I honestly prefer to play 3rd Person action adventure/shooter games and Racing games with a gamepad.

I learnt to play a FPS game using a keyboard and mouse on Crysis, and since then I've had a go at Killzone 3 on PS3 and flippin heck it's slow(turning the sensitivity way up doesn't help).

Back