Microsoft Security Essentials bombs tests, loses AV-Test certificate

Rick

Microsoft Security Essentials was the only entry to fail AV-Test's certification between September and October -- an embarrasing slip for the once well-regarded virus protection solution. MSSE received a total of 10.5 out of 18 possible points, most notably falling short in zero-day malware attacks. As a point of reference, 11 points are required to receive certification. The fallen AV only received 1.5 out of 6.0 for system protection, but fared better when it came to repairing infections and usability: 3.5 and 5.5 out of 6.0, respectively.

Thankfully, other free alternatives performed better: Avast (14 points) edged out AVG (12.5 points) and Avira (12 points), receiving above-average marks all-around. Meanwhile, Bitdefender topped payware offerings, netting an almost perfect score of 17 points.

If you're somehow not familiar with it, MSSE is Microsoft's nag-free, no-cost anti-virus solution for Windows XP, Vista and 7 owners. Although Windows 8 users can't install MSSE, the utility essentially comes integrated into the OS -- it's simply disguised as "Windows Defender". 

AV-Test is an independent German organization who, amongst other things, rates anti-virus utilities based on various metrics about every two months. AV-Test's certification is by no means an industry requirement, but their test results have served as a standardized way to benchmark anti-virus programs for years.

Similarly, AV Comparatives is another firm who offers their own, indepedent anti-virus grading service. After recalling MSSE scoring very high marks with AV Comparatives back in 2009, I checked out the site's latest tests to get a second opinion. Curiously though, MSSE has been missing from tests at AV Comparatives since 2010. Looks like we'll have to take AV-Test's word on this one.

Permalink to story.

Wow... You'd think with Windows 8 out the door already and MS NOT offering Service Packs or new DirectX for Windows 7, that they'd have plenty of time to work on keeping MS Security Essentials performing well.
Guess not...

Are there even any other "nag-free, no-cost anti-virus solutions" other than MSE?
I've been installing it on several work computers, it's a tremendous improvement over Symantec Corporate Antivirus!

The only downside I have seen is when you open a folder with many EXE files, like my "Appz" or "Drivers" folder; then it hogs the CPU down real hard and the computer does slow down in this scenario allot... :(
(And it is quite annoying because when downloading some program off the Internet I browse to that folder with my browser which slows it down to a screeching halt aswell...)

It's weird too because the latest Norton used to rank top, but now Bit Defender is, who, from past experiences, performed cleaning duties well, but always was a resource hog.

Antiviruses are very interesting software, their performance goes up or down as new malware is found; it's up to each company to keep each antivirus on their toes. Seems MS has been lazy due to Windows 8, which is unfortunate for MSE users.

I've been using MSE for some time now and have found it to be quite good though this does make me wonder. I'll have to do some more research.

Wow... You'd think with Windows 8 out the door already and MS NOT offering Service Packs or new DirectX for Windows 7, that they'd have plenty of time to work on keeping MS Security Essentials performing well.
Guess not...

They've been concentrating on ruining Windows for the past four years. Hardly any time left for creating a viable a/v solution. MSIE was <b>always</b> the protection of last resort, anyway.

Are there even any other "nag-free, no-cost anti-virus solutions" other than MSE?
I've been installing it on several work computers, it's a tremendous improvement over Symantec Corporate Antivirus!

The only downside I have seen is when you open a folder with many EXE files, like my "Appz" or "Drivers" folder; then it hogs the CPU down real hard and the computer does slow down in this scenario allot... :(
(And it is quite annoying because when downloading some program off the Internet I browse to that folder with my browser which slows it down to a screeching halt aswell...)
Second paragraph of the above article names 3 other FREE alternatives. (THANKS!) Good Luck. I will be checking these out myself! If you find one you like more than others, I'd love to hear back! I'm not as experienced as you, but I'm a good student! :)

We, should all be ashamed of ourselves for this, each and everyone of us !

Our constant nagging freedom of choice has come back to bite ourselves in our arse, Am laughing so hard, that it hurts !

You see, as an End-User, am told, nah scratch that, ADVISED, to protect my connection against those whom are willing to seek and destroy me and I go out and see what's everyone choice AVG and I find out, Everyone has a recommendation as to what's the best ! Frankly, NOT 1 of the AVG's are perfect because if it were, their wouldn't be so many choices, now would there ?

HAT's off to those who TRUSTED the best ! I wouldn't seek anyone's advise because IMHO, It's NOT your arse on the line, it's MINE !

I think Microsoft is planning to make Windows 7 people with more problems. And also want people to changed to new OS and use Defender. If you see the number of definition updates released per day for Defender is more than MSE.

There is some correction to the main post. Defender is different than MSE. The regular updates per day for Defender is more than MSE. If you have both Win 7 and Win 8, check it yourself.

Second paragraph of the above article names 3 other FREE alternatives. (THANKS!) Good Luck. I will be checking these out myself! If you find one you like more than others, I'd love to hear back! I'm not as experienced as you, but I'm a good student! :)
Ive used them all (admittedly quite a while ago)
But they all seem to have some kind of nag screen or otherwise unwanted behavior, MSE is really great in this regard.
Clean user interface and no nag prompts, if I had to guess who made this A/V I would have NEVER guessed Micrososft.
Especially seeing how far downhill most of their other products have gone!

I am new to computers, and I'm NOT "ashamed" to admit I lack education in these things! I JUST "Join[ed] thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum." because I'd like the BENEFIT of everyone's' KNOWLEGE. That is how people LEARN. I am well aware that "opinions" & "advice" are things that everyone has, and it is up to the reader to sort those out. I do find it ironic, though, how the people who claim never to take advice, surely have no problem offering it! Thank you, TechSpot contributors, for graciously sharing your experiences & knowledge; and for your patience with folks like myself! (< 4 yrs with laptop/ NO formal training) I was ADVISED this was the community to join to LEARN!:)

Second paragraph of the above article names 3 other FREE alternatives. (THANKS!) Good Luck. I
I think you missed the subtlety of Mr Hansson's original post. I'm sure he's more than familiar with all of the free offerings. Yes, there are plenty of free alternatives to MSE. They all nag, with "Avira" being the most obnoxious of the "big three," (Avast, AVG, & Avira). IMO, "Avira" isn't worth installing, as the nags are that pervasive.

The beauty of MSE is, (or ostensibly was), there's no paid version they could nag you to buy, after you opted for the free one.

My understanding of "Windows Defender", is that it is targeted primarily at Windows OS files. So, arguably M$ is opting to protect its data, before yours. (And feel free to correct me on this if I'm wrong).

"Advanced System Care" which is a PC cleaner, has gone from tolerably cajoling you to purchase it, to outright, nagware / adware. I was forced to remove it, after giving in to its update nags. So, in the AV, cleaner, malware prevention, freeware arena, my experience has been that everybody's nagging more, and giving away less.

I haven't been recommended MSE since beginning. I have fixed a lot of people computers, and they always get problems with virus, trojans and malwares while they have MSE installed. MSE is a horrible product. I always suggest people to buy Kaspersky, but if they can't afford it then I recommend Avast. They never come back after I installed Kaspersky or Avast.... Perhaps I should keep install MSE to make money. :p

Well, quoting sure sucks here, lol. I didn't write that.

Avast: Right click on TaskBar icon, select Silent Gaming mode... forget for 1 year... and as usual, be careful, no solution is perfect.[/quote]

The only time I recommended MSE, was to AVG goers. otherwise I always used either Avast or Avira. Avira's advertising made me stop using the program mind-you.

Back