Modem randomly resets, can I replace it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deanlaing12

Right now im using a modem that i got from AOL.

SpeedTouch ST585 v6

Every so often is will randomly reset, a hardware fault which ivsearched all over the internet. Upgrading the firmware makes no diffrence at all. Recently, my internet cuts off but all the lights are still light at normal, i tried dissabling the adaptor and yet the ethernet light stayd light. So my problem is deffinatly in my router.

My questions are...

If i buy a new modem on my own, will it still work for my ISP?
What is a good modem to replace my current one?

[Requirements:

2 or more ethernet slots for my keyboard and my pc.
dsl compatible
windows 7 compatible
AOL compatible]

Dose anyone know if all modems are compatible with all isp's?
No, I don't they are. You should go to the ISP's website and see if they have a list of approved modems. I really don't know the technical details but I once checked into it with my ISP in case my modem ever died and not just any modem would work.

I would contact AOL and request a replacement unit...it's part of your Service Agreement.

It is surprising how many modems are defective... even when the computer user is not on a modem connection, a defective modem can cause serious difficulties... We always check the modem on any computer repair...
Alternately, a modem out of an older computer... between 1998 and 2002 (provided you have drivers or can download drivers) is often a better fix... than using one made after 2002...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back