Mojang sells 10 million copies of Minecraft for the PC

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The indie sensation Minecraft has now sold more than 10 million copies according to a recent tweet from Mojang customer support manager Marc Watson. It’s worth pointing out that this milestone only includes copies for the PC, Mac and Linux which makes it the seventh best-selling PC game of all time.

Factor in the version that’s available for Xbox 360 as well as the Android and iOS editions and that figure is much higher. We know this because the developer of the Xbox 360 version said late last month that more than six million copies had been sold and back in January, developer Jens Bergensten believed the total across all platforms was around 20 million units.

What’s more, Bergensten promised to reveal a “subtle” hint when the game reached 10 million copies sold with regards to one of the new features coming in the next patch. Click here to check out the hint or if you really want to know… it’s a horse.

Mojang released update 1.5 known as Redstone less than a month ago. In total, that update included some 120 changes to the game such as a light sensor to activate objects based on the time of day, pressure plates and even a new texture pack to improve the overall look of the blocky world.

Late last year Mojang released a movie on The Pirate Bay that chronicled the story of the small startup. It’s an interesting film that’s worth checking out in the event you missed it last time.

Permalink to story.

So when the heck is Mojang going to do a "weekend sale" or something like that? =P

I want some friends to play, but I won't pay full price for their copies hehe (Damned Steam... now everything must be in sale to be bought)

So when the heck is Mojang going to do a "weekend sale" or something like that? =P

I want some friends to play, but I won't pay full price for their copies hehe (Damned Steam... now everything must be in sale to be bought)
The game is already cheap as it is - I would easily pay $100 for Minecraft.

Dude... it was sarcasm, the computer edition is $60 the same as pretty much every newly big publisher release.

I know, steam ruined buying full games prices @ like $50 $60!!! Any game I see that hits say $5 $10, I have to buy.. It's so sad, I still have so many I havnt played from X-mas sales and what not!

I first read your comment a couple of days ago and I can not get one question out of my mind.
  • Would you pay $100 for each individual game or just Minecraft?
Follow up questions:
  • What is so special about Minecraft, that someone would spend $100 for?
  • If every game was $100, how big would everyones game library be?
  • How much would the average person be willing to spend, enlarging their game library regardless of individual game prices?
Personally, I draw a line at $30 per game of interest to me. It's a game, a past time, something we don't actually need I our lives. This world could be so much more constructive, if they wasn't so wasteful in their past time.

I only remember paying around 20 bucks for minecraft they don't charge alot for it.

Back