Motherboard GA-7VTXE rev 1.1

May be someone can help me, since from Gigabyte it is impossible to obtain information about components.

I nedd to identify the component which is marked with a red poligone in the attached picture.
This component get burnt when I was testing a new memory module and I can not read its identification.-

Please, can anyone help me?. Thanks

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 13
Too small to see in the attached picture. Are you planning to replace the chip. It would really be a waste of time doing so... Did you remove or install the memory modules while the board was powered up?

I had inserted the memory modules with the CPU switched off.

As soon as I turned ON the PC, it started to emit a warning beep, but I arrive late to switch it off again.
As soon as I switched on the PC, it started to emit a warning beep, but I arrived late to switch-off it again. As a result, the component get burnt and it is imposible to read the text that identifies it.

Eventhough the picture is small, this component is the unique which seems a big transistor. Around it there are only small chips and the electrolitic capacitors.

My hope is find someone having this motherboard who wanted to check this component and pass me the text that reads on it.

Can you do something?. Thanks a lot

P.S. I do not have problems to repair the MB, I work in a Telecomunications company with resources to do it.

I have two of those boards at home and a GA-7VTXE+ board. I will try to dig them out later and ID the component for you.

It may not be the only thing wrong with the motherboard now. Just because you have one chip burned, other components could be damaged as well

It is possible, of course. If I replace the component and nothing happened, most probably I will have to give up everything. From Gigabyte is imposible to obtain information. I have contacted them but they refuse to give information based on their policy of confidenciality.

Anyway, I will be happy trying to repair the MB.

Thanks a lot for your help

I have two of those boards at home and a GA-7VTXE+ board. I will try to dig them out later and ID the component for you.

Thanks in advance for your help. I will wait for your information.

By the way, I think that this component is a power transistor. Problem is: what are its specs?

Isn't this motherboard quite old?

That's what I was thinking. It is a K7 (socket A / 462) board. I wouldn't put much money or effort in trying to fix it. It would probably be best to upgrade, or buy a replacement board from ebay if you absolutely have to have that system work. I wouldn't expect something that old to go for much more than $20. A brand new low end cpu, motherboard, and ram could be had new for less than $100 and would blow the current config out of the water.

That's what I was thinking. It is a K7 (socket A / 462) board. I wouldn't put much money or effort in trying to fix it. It would probably be best to upgrade, or buy a replacement from ebay if you absolutely have to have that system work. I wouldn't expect something that old to go for much more than $20. A brand new low end cpu, motherboard, and ram could be had new for less than $100 and would blow the current config out of the water.

Yes, it's pretty old. But it is not a money issue, it is a matter of sentimentality. This was the PC that my daughter began her career in architecture, and I have great affection. Also, I use it to investigate and work with other operating systems. So if I can fix it I'll be happy. And if I can not fix, then I'll get rid of it.
I never get rid of something if I can fix it

So you do have the experience and the tools replacing surfacemount components on circuit boards? Did you ever hear back from caravel?

So you do have the experience and the tools replacing surfacemount components on circuit boards? Did you ever hear back from caravel?

Yes, I have the experience and resources, to do that. I am working in a Telecommunications Company and I have at my will the most advanced means to manufacture and test electronics. I only need to know the specs of the components and I will manage to get it and replace it. No problem.
Under my opinion, Gigabyte should pass me the information about the component. I do not agree with its policy of confidenciality. A Quality Department must provide the informatiojn I am asking for. We do it in my company in cases like this. Of course, what we do not provide is the schematics of an advanced electronic device we are manufacturing, but we do help our customers to solve problems when they arise.

If I could not get the specs of it in a reasonable period of time, perhaps I will try to solve the problem with a generic powerfull transistor.

Many thanks

You could just replace the motherboard with an updated one and use the same case. After all, it was the case you saw when your daughter was using the computer years ago. You can frame the old motherboard with a plaque and hang it on a wall...

You could just replace the motherboard with an updated one and use the same case. After all, it was the case you saw when your daughter was using the computer years ago. You can frame the old motherboard with a plaque and hang it on a wall...

I know that may sound too sentimental, but why should I throw a motherboard if I can continue to use it just by replacing only one broken transistor?

I was hoping someone could help meto know the code for that component, as expected from Gigabyte, but in the end I'll have to install a powerful transistor and see what happens.
Our duty is to think of a sustainable world, and leave the consumer society in which we operate.
.:)

NO ONE CAN HELP ME OUT?

"NO ONE CAN HELP ME OUT?"...

I guess caravel didn't have the motherboards after all. Good luck, and get that picture frame when you have time :)

"NO ONE CAN HELP ME OUT?"...

I guess caravel didn't have the motherboards after all. Good luck, and get that picture frame when you have time :)

Yes I think that Caravel didn't have it, but al last I have managed to find out its identification: 15N03H, a mosfet power transistor.

Chussssssss, au revoir and thanks for your opininos

Apologies, I have a memory like a sieve... I have thought of this on a few occasions over the last few weeks, but it's always been while at work or on the way to and from work... as I said nearly 2 months ago, I believe I do still have some of these boards lying about, but I do need to check (not to mention: remember) - so don't get your hopes up.

While we're on the subject - another problem these particular boards are prone to is leaky electrolytic capacitors. If you have any capacitors leaking brown goo like the ones here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_caps

Then you are looking at replacing all of them.

Both of my 7VTXE boards had this problem, the 7VTXE+ was unaffected. It's the luck of the draw. I was able to get some use out of them, at the cost of reduced performance, by clocking them down to 100MHz FSB.

Apologies, I have a memory like a sieve... I have thought of this on a few occasions over the last few weeks, but it's always been while at work or on the way to and from work... as I said nearly 2 months ago, I believe I do still have some of these boards lying about, but I do need to check (not to mention: remember) - so don't get your hopes up.

While we're on the subject - another problem these particular boards are prone to is leaky electrolytic capacitors. If you have any capacitors leaking brown goo like the ones here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_caps

Then you are looking at replacing all of them.

Both of my 7VTXE boards had this problem, the 7VTXE+ was unaffected. It's the luck of the draw. I was able to get some use out of them, at the cost of reduced performance, by clocking them down to 100MHz FSB.

Capacitors are not a problem, all of them have already been replaced.
The curious thing, once solved my serch, is that the component I was trying to identify is the same that is in the vicinity of the battery: 15N03H.

Now is time to check if the motherboard is able to work.:haha:

Back