TechSpot

Motorola wants you to unlock your Moto X with this digital tattoo

By Shawn Knight
Jul 23, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Unlocking a smartphone can be a drag, especially if you're the type that checks your handset dozens of times a day. It's a first world problem that has led many to simply leave their phones unprotected (obviously not a wise...

Read more

2. SantistaUSA

SantistaUSA TS Booster Posts: 72   +13

Kinda of cool, but that's just a waste of money and people being extremely lazy.

3. insect

insect TS Evangelist Posts: 315   +114

With face/tap pattern unlocks, I'm not sure this is more convenient and just makes people as you questions.

ikesmasher likes this.
  4. Matt12345170

Matt12345170 TS Booster Posts: 100   +28

I don't like the idea of the tattoos, but that chip would be interesting to have, assuming its not like more than 10 dollars =P (which it probably is..)

5. GreenArrow

GreenArrow TS Enthusiast Posts: 47   +30

I would be interested if the chip if I can put it in my wallet and just tap my wallet through my pocket.

6. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,163   +197

Omg, charging 9.99$ to unlock own handset, a st***** idea in my opinion. in that case, the owner might as well use double tap to unlock phone rather than pay for it.

after stealing the moto x from its owner, criminals will now 'slice' the digital tattoo.

what happened to facial recognition, voice, and fingerprint scanning technology?

7. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Yeah and it only lasts 5 days...

8. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 861   +340

It's not that hard to unlock a phone, come on.

9. BabyFaceLee

BabyFaceLee TS Enthusiast Posts: 87   +22

I'm going to stick my Moto X tattoo to my arse so I can answer the phone whilst I'm wiping...

Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  10. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,519   +2,060

This is BS. Just another money making racket.

11. Hmmm... I think there are many other ways to use this tech other than to unlock a phone. With a little tweak it could be used for tracking your kids as well

12. jackal2687

jackal2687 TS Enthusiast Posts: 85   +12

I think the "digital tattoo" would be better paired on the underside of the Android or Apple Watches, or some sort of cool little bracelet.

13. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,559   +2,900

Using a consumable solution is in my opinion unbelievably ridiculous.