Mozilla releases stable version of Firefox 5

Emil

Staff

Although it was released early on the weekend, Mozilla has now officially released version 5 of its browser in over 70 languages. The update brings more than 1,000 improvements and performance enhancements that have been available on the Beta and Aurora channels to users interested in using Firefox's latest builds. The full release for desktop operating systems and Android are available at Firefox Release Notes and Firefox for Android Release Notes, respectively.

The new Firefox version adds support for CSS animations to enable developers to build more intuitive Web applications and websites. The HTTP idle connection logic has been tuned, as has canvas, JavaScript, memory, and networking performance. Other improvements include standards support for HTML5, XHR, MathML, SMIL, and canvas, as well as spell checking for some locales.

The latest stable 5.0 build (released after seven betas) is available now for Windows, Mac OS, Linux 32/64-bit, and Android. Those who currently have Firefox installed can use the built-in update function by clicking on Help, selecting the About Firefox menu, and then choosing Check for Updates. Users with Firefox for Android installed should soon receive a notification to update to the latest version.

The release is light on new features because Mozilla has switched to a rapid release development cycle that means new versions come more frequently. The non-profit organization has promised to push out a new stable build every six weeks. Firefox 6 is thus slated for an August release. It remains to be seen if this new system can help Firefox regain its lost market share.

Permalink to story.

My browser is better than your browser, your browser sucks. You should use my browser because my browser is better than your browser, your browser sucks. My toothpaste is better than your toothpaste, your toothpaste sucks. You should use my toothpaste because my toothpaste is better than your toothpaste, your toothpaste sucks.

I agree... 1,000 improvements - uh huh... how about giving us 10 good ones opps I mean real ones?

I think with the new dev process for FF is going to kill its best assist in addons. There are quite a few great addons out there than don't get updated all the time. So am I going to have to edit the addon max version all the? I don't use chrome becuase I don't like it so why FF are you trying to make FF chrome?

@previous poster: Install Add-On Compatibility Reporter: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-on-compatibility-reporter/

After that you can install any addon regardless of version compatibility, and 99.9% of all addons still work in newer version of Firefox.

to the guest who wrote the browser toothpaste song.....

u made my day.... love it when people bring humor into these discussions. thumbs up.

This update is worth it just for the CSS animations specification support. It lets developers create some pretty nifty animations.

I still haven't forgiven them for version 4.

Really Mozilla? Take it easy - there's still plenty of people who like using Firefox. There is no need to overload people with new major versions...

I only just got 4... and 5 is being released already? Firefox 10 in January 2012 anyone?

BrianUMR said:
I think with the new dev process for FF is going to kill its best assist in addons. There are quite a few great addons out there than don't get updated all the time. So am I going to have to edit the addon max version all the? I don't use chrome becuase I don't like it so why FF are you trying to make FF chrome?
As long as they do not change they way the addon work in firefox too often then i see no problem.
I installed FF 5 with many addons installed (about 6) and all of them work with no problems. You should consider FF7 the next browser that will have problems with some addons since they did announce a lot of cool new things for it.

It's all an image thang. Mozilla is trying to catch up with MS - I mean geez IE is at version 9... FF is only at 5. To the uninformed, bigger = better.

Here's a bet that Mozilla will slow down when their version number matches IE.

if mozilla keeps on going like this by the end of 2011 we will have FF 15, i'm not saying they shouldn't update but why release every security update or bug fix under a new version ?
and there is the matter of addons why don,t they unify the platform for addons , and note that there is a way to make any addon work on any version just by removing one line in the source of the addon and it will work perfectly fine (TESTED)

I have stopped using FireFox because it is not allowing me to interface with many of the sites I operate and use for my business. The version updates are becoming more annoying than IE and that is something FireFox should really take seriously.
Since the 3.16 they have actually become worse and losing integrity FAST!
Stop dicking around and confusing the consumer of a once awesome browser.
FireFox was developed for the user for an easy, safe alternative to corporate programming filled with hacks and holes - now they are losing that purpose.

Very disappointing from a long time fanatic of firefox. Firefox 4 and 5 seem good ad first, but within a couple of wees it degrades and gets worse. Not sure whey over time it gets worse. Not looking good for the mozilla team. I am really close to dropping firefox for chrome. I hate to do that, being a long time fan, but I can't wait it out forever. Come on mozilla you guys are smarter than this stuff you put out. You did a good job in version 3x. Lets see some more of that development era happen.

I must admit I loved Firefox even standing by it when all my buddies/workmates/family raved about Chrome. I do like Chrome but am currently still using Firefox at home Chrome at the office on the slow "Radio" PC :p

I guess the thing I thought about the most was they took a good corporate alternative browser and have now made it hell for any SysAdmin to deploy with this new rapid release cycle? I dunno as I don't have that much experience in that field.

I do know the average Joe doesn't like updating his browser every month or so :<

Using 3.6.23. For most functions I like it fine. But I wanted a more recent version. So I downloaded
firefox-7.0.1.tar.bz2
bunzipped and untarred that.
The resulting /usr/local/firefox directory has a bunch of files with a Sept 28 date. The README directs me to a page that has no install info. When I execute the either the file
firefox
or
firefox.bin
in that /usr/local/firefox directory i still get 3.6.23.

Any help?

John Culleton

I think you need to execute from the actual directory by either doing a ./firefox or using the absolute path to the file. If you just execute "firefox" then you'll still be pointing at the symlinked version in your path.

Back