My CPU wont recognize the 2GB RAM installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently jus installed 2x 1gb sticks of ram on my cpu, when i pull up the bios and the system properties it only recognizes 1024mb not 2048mb, i inserted the sticks individually also and it only recognized 512mb for each one, im not sure if i got jipped or if im jus doin something wrong, the model #'s for the sticks of ram are (1GBUFURTULAA) and my mother board is a (MS-7061), and im running windows XP Home, i did alot of compatabillity research before i purchased the memory sticks so i know there compatible, but if someone could help me out with getting my cpu to recognize the full 2 gigs it would be greatly appreciated!!! and im not sure about my OS and the 32bit & 64bit terms, but if someone could explain those to me in laymen terms and how i could find out what mine is that would help me out alot also!!! ty!

We're going to need more information about your computer, before we can help you. I had almost no luck googling that part number. I think it's MSI, but their website is denying it exists.

The 32 bit / 64 bit OS issue doesn't really matter until after about 3 GB of RAM is installed. A 32 bit OS will handle 2GB easily.

From what you've said so far it seems like the board has a max capacity of 1 GB, but who knows. The Memory part # doesn't tell much of anything either. Who made it? How much memory was in the computer before you started the upgrade?

Eureka....!

MSI likes to cross reference their part numbers, then not tell you about the second 4 digit classification. I ran into this with one of my Emachines with a "410" board.

This board we're talking about has integrated graphics, and it's tapping 64MB for system memory. I'm thinking it would be necessary to install a separate graphics card before you could utilize the whole 2GB as system memory.
But, that doesn't fully explain why only 1GB is visible in BIOS, since we can guess that the onboard video isn't syphoning a full GIG to do it's thing.

im assuming you did come across something with my motherboard, my graphics card is an ATI Radeon 9550, i think thats wat the numbers are, im at work so ill reconfirm that when i get home, but im still not sure wats goin on, i hate to put the idea out there, but maybe i jus went up against a master theif, the sticks dont have a brand name on them, that part # i gave was on the sticker on both the stick, and each one of the chips on the sticks in little numbers it says 128mb, all adding up to 1049mb on each stick... but all of the chips are one side of each stick, and the only 1gig sticks ive seen before have chips on both side, so im really not sure. if yall need to know more about my motherboard or my cpu jus tell me wat u need to kno and ill find out. and thanx for all the suggestions they are greatly appreaciated!!!

The RAM I have sitting around the house is "Kingston Value RAM" The 512 MB DIMMS are single sided, and the 1GB DIMMS are dual sided.

Your results may vary.

Some motherboards will not accept single or dual sided modules at particular capacities. This would necessitate reading the motherboard manual. So, why not download it, and curl up with a good book, so to speak.

Your results may vary.

Why not be a little bit sporting and tell us who the manufacturer of your computer is, and perhaps a few other tidbits.

ok, the cpu doesnt cpu doesnt really have a manufacturer, i built myself, it started out as an emachine, i think, i ended up gettin a new casing for everthing, then i swapped out everthing inside (motherboard, graphics card, etc), and, if im remembering right, the motherboard, video card, and processor, all came in come sort of value package my gf's uncle bought, the motherboard if MSI, MS-7061 Ver 1.0 is the only model numbers i could find on the board, the graphics card says ATI Radeon 9550, and the processor is an AMD Sempron 1.47GHz. i bought the two sticks of ram off of ebay, they really dont have and manufacturer name on them anywhere, jus a sticker with a part number, the two sticks i had in there before where both 256mb, im not sure where else to go on my cpu to find out more details about my hardware other than system properties/device manager, so if yall need to kno more jus tell me wat and where to find it, thanx alot ppl, you dont know how much u are helping me out!!!

Just for information purposes, CPU refers just to the processor (your AMD Sempron), not the whole computer. You could use the freeware program CPU-Z to find out the manufacturer and part number of the RAM which you can compare to the sticker. It will also tell you what its capacity is and its speed. Google for the download. It doesn't have to be installed. Just unzip it and double click on the cpuz.exe file.

mailpup, maybe you have more experience than I at Identifying RAM DIMMs by eye. Mr Breed clains that his "1GB Dimms are one sided. This would require 128MB IC to accomplish the one sided configuration. I'm guessting that the 128MB IC would be used double sided on a 2GB stick, but do manufacturers use them on 1GB sticks?

Ebay was mentioned as a participant in all this, and I'm wondering if in fact Mr.Breed was sold a kit of 2 equaling 1GB instead of what he paid for. Hey, stickers you can buy at Walmart and print yourself. I guess it's obvious I don't shop on Ebay very much.

Yes, CPU-Z is a good idea. This also works well: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/155-siw-system-info.html
SIW for Windows is pretty much the same thing and you don't have to leave this site to get it. (unless of course, CPU-Z is here as well)

captaincranky, I doubt if I have more expertise in identifying RAM DIMMS by eye or any other way. It seems likely that these are in fact 512MB single sided modules. Visually they are one sided and Windows seems to see them as 512MB each. So I think you are right. CPU-Z or SIW would help to confirm this. If 1GB single side RAM exists, it would be rare and probably not compatible with this mobo anyway.

I use SIW too but CPU-Z is simpler and for the purposes of this thread adequate. That's why I suggested it.

Anyway......

It seems you may have indeed gotten a "dual channel" kit of 2 512 MB DIMMs equaling 1GB of installed RAM, rather than the 2GB kit you thought you were getting. The fact that this is not a packaged PC, but rather one you assembled yourself, makes it less likely that the memory recognition has been curtailed by any manufacturer.
I don't know how to tell you how to proceed from here. Good old fashioned DDR (184 pin) RAM is still fairly expensive. It's now treated as a replacement part and priced accordingly. If we were dealing with DDR2 it's much cheaper and faster than DDR at the present time.
I can tell you that the performance boost that you get going from 512MB to 1GB is much more noticeable than going from 1GB to 2GB. Your system is limited by the fact that the RAM is single channel and the Sempron CPU. The added RAM will give certainly you quite a noticeable boost though, when you're working it hard.

Try one of the information programs we've recommended, and get back to us with want your findings.

ok fellas, the CPU-Z thing was a real good idea, but now im even more stumped at the results, heres wat it says

Under the Memory Tab
Type: DDR
Size: 2048mb
DRAM Frequency: 166.7 MHz
FSB DRAM: FSB + 33 MHz
CAS# Latency: 2.5 Clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5 Clocks
RAS# Precharge: 3 Clocks
Cycle Time: 7 Clocks

Under The SPD Tab
Slot #1: DDR
Max Bandwidth: PC2700 (166 MHz)
Manufacurer: This line is Blank
Part Number: 1GBUFURTULAA
Serial Number: 78515133
Correction: None
Buffered: No
Week/Year: 03/48

Under The Mainboard Tab
Maurfacturer: MSI
Model: MS-7061
Chipset: KM400
Southbridge: VT8237
LPCIO: Windbond W83697HF

BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Version: 6.00 PG
Date:07/28/2004

Graphic Interface: AGP Version 3.0
Transfer Rate: 8x
Max. Supported: 8x
Side Band: Enabled

Ok now this if all info directly off that CPU-Z program

I think your motherboard might only support single sided DIMMs, so it only sees one side of the RAM stick so that means it only sees 512MB each stick (512MB on each side).

The following is from the MSI website for your 7061 motherboard:

Main Memory

• Supports four memory banks by using two 184-pin DDR DIMMs
• Support up to 2GB of DDR200/266/333 DDR SDRAM.
• Supports 2.5v DDR SDRAM DIMM

Also according to the manual, both single and double sided DIMMs are supported.

Perhaps your RAM is just not fully compatible.

Stumpity, Stump, Stumped....Am I...

This I don't quite get. The FSB frequency for DDR333 (PC2700) should be 166.7Mhz

Your CPU-Z Read Out; (partial)

Under the Memory Tab
Type: DDR
Size: 2048mb
DRAM Frequency: 166.7 MHz

So......,

>>>FSB DRAM: FSB + 33 MHz<<<<
CAS# Latency: 2.5 Clocks

Why is the FSB overclocked?

RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5 Clocks
RAS# Precharge: 3 Clocks
Cycle Time: 7 Clocks

captain cranky, ur gonna have to explain in easy language, i have no clue wat u mean by overclocked, i dont even know wat half that stuff meant on that CPU-Z, and if insoman is right, damn, im stuck wit jus 1GB for now, i cant return the sticks after inserted unless they are defective, oh yea, that SIW program, which is way cool btw, this is its results, i copied and pasted these over...

Memory Top
Property Value

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Memory Summary Top
Property Value
Maximum Capacity 2048 MBytes
Maximum Memory Module Size 256 MBytes
Memory Slots 2
Error Correction None
DRAM Frequency 166.7 MHz
Memory Timings 3-5-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Device Locator Slot 1 Top
Property Value
Part Number 1GBUFURTULAA
Serial Number 78515133
Memory Type DDR (PC2700)
Speed 166 MHz
Supported Frequencies 133 MHz, 166 MHz
Memory Timings 2-3-3-6-0 at 133 MHz, at 2.5 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
Memory Timings 2-3-3-7-0 at 166 MHz, at 2.5 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
Data Width 64 bits
Manufacturing Date 2048, Week 3
EPP SPD Support No
XMP SPD Support No

Device Locator Slot 2 Top
Property Value
Part Number 1GBUFURTULAA
Serial Number 84515133
Memory Type DDR (PC2700)
Speed 166 MHz
Supported Frequencies 133 MHz, 166 MHz
Memory Timings 2-3-3-6-0 at 133 MHz, at 2.5 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
Memory Timings 2-3-3-7-0 at 166 MHz, at 2.5 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
Data Width 64 bits
Manufacturing Date 2048, Week 2
EPP SPD Support No
XMP SPD Support No

im not sure but all that mostly looks like the same stuff as the other program

Compare my copy of the CPU-Z read out and you'll see what I mean, It's saying the FSB (front side buss) is running faster than stock. I've accented that particular result.

Ummmm....

Well, you are complaining about memory problems. If the FSB is overclocked, the memory is overclocked as well. I'm not saying that is definitely the problem, but if it is overspeed, it needs to be set to stock, in furtherance of our process of elimination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back