My friends can't connect to my Minecraft server

bwarren97

I have been working on setting up a Minecraft server for a couple of days now, and I cannot find a way to get my friends outside of my network to connect. I know I gave them the right IP address, and I have tried several solutions with no luck. I can, however, connect to the server from other computers connected to the same router, but I think that only works when I have it set to "cracked" mode.

I tried disabling my firewall on both my host computer and my router, using a different computer as the server host, and changing the port. All solutions I have tried gave the same message to my friends: "Cannot reach server", when I was able to connect just fine.
Here is some possibly useful information:

Host computer (It's not the best...):
-Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz (uni-core)
-RAM: 448 MB
-IP Address: 192.168.1.111

Minecraft Server:
-Version: 1.0.0 (jar)

Router:
-Type: Wired/Wireless
-Brand: Cisco
-Model: Linksys E2000
-IP Address: 192.168.1.1
-Router Information:
Firmware Version: 1.0.01 build 7Apr 15, 2010
Firmware Verification: 5447e765c2287b134ec7028c3b7c9ceb
Current Time: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 18:44:02
Internet MAC Address: 98:FC:11:71:D9:CB
-Internet Connection:
Connection Type: Automatic Configuration - DHCP
Internet IP Address: 64.6.115.194
Subnet Mask: 255.255.248.0
Default Gateway: 64.6.112.1
DNS1: 8.8.8.8
DNS2: 8.8.4.4
DNS3: 216.147.229.12
MTU: 1500
DHCP Lease Time: 4 Hour

If there is any other information you need, please tell me.

You need to forward some ports (router settings) and then open incoming port in your firewall (OS settings). Start here.

What error did you get? Does minecraft have a manual on hosting a server does it state which port it uses? Make sure you forward the correct port to the correct LAN IP of the server (assign the server a static ip). And at the server make sure no firewall is blocking that port.

my-cute-pet.html
the-tunnel-effect.html
idol.html
city-smog.html
tracer-lights.html
blue-screen-of-death.html

Most ISP hands out dynamic WAN IP. Alway check your WAN IP it might change. Maybe they also need to include the port whem connecting like 64.6.115.194:12345.

I found the problem(s)

I got it to work...actually...quite a while ago. I forgot to post it.

Anyway, I gave my friend the external IP address to connect to, and I used my internal IP address for computers within my home network. On top of that, I set my router's port forwarding settings and forwarded port 25565 to my internal IP (Server IP).

I'm sure a lot of you were saying that before, but I just didn't quite understand it well enough.

Thank you!

Doesn't your external IP address constantly change? Wouldn't that mean you need to give him the external every time the friend wanted to play? And what happens if playing when the IP address changes? Am I missing something about dynamic IPs?

Doesn't your external IP address constantly change? Wouldn't that mean you need to give him the external every time the friend wanted to play? And what happens if playing when the IP address changes? Am I missing something about dynamic IPs?

Your ISP owns a range of IP addresses. When a user connects to the internet an IP is assigned to them which will expire at certain date/time, the expiry date/time will be extended if the user is still connected. When the user disconnects the IP which he previously used will be available to be assigned to another user.

You should put your host computer's ip address in the dmz of the router (Applications and Gaming > DMZ). See if this works first (list the routing table). If it works, you have to make the computer have a static address in the router (Setup > Advanced Routing). It's like a 192.168.1.100 address. I can't read your manual any better, so I can't help you any further. Put your friend's computers in the dmzs of their routers also. You my also have to disable the router firewall. Good luck.

Minecraft

I don't know how to find My minecraft server's IP. I have been on sites like IPchicken.com but my friends still can't connect. I can connect using localhost but my friends can't. I'm stuck! PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I know there are various posters but if you're following my idea look in the routing table of your router for the ip address I'm talking about. I think you find it in Setup > Advanced Routing in your router's setup. Or make it simple. Try the whole thing without a router.

I don't know how to find My minecraft server's IP. I have been on sites like IPchicken.com but my friends still can't connect. I can connect using localhost but my friends can't. I'm stuck! PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Go to whatismyipaddress.com this will show you your external IP used this IP to let anyone over the internet to connect to your server. You need to assign static LAN IP to your mincecraft server (OS settings), forward the ports used by your minecraft server (router settings), you need to open the firewall ports used by minecraft server game (OS settings).

user --> internet --> port:1234{ WAN IP, ROUTER}-->port1234{LAN IP, minecraft server}
any data that goes through port 1234 (internet facing) will be forwarded to port 1234 of your minecraft server.

I don't get that! I have gotten the Ip but my friends can't play on it! I can but they can't! It just says for them failed to connect to the sever connection refudsed:connect.
I have done everything. Changed WAN to 25565, the minecraft port. Put in the server ip in the server propities. I'm stuck! Please help me! I have a Tp-link and the modle is W8950ND.

BTW, read the previous posts carefully

OK, here's what you do:

-Go to your web search provider using any device connected to your network, and type "what is my IP address". Four strings of numbers, varying in length, and separated by dots, will show up. (if not, try a different search provider) That is your external IP address. Give this to your server members.
-Next, go to Command Prompt and type "ipconfig". The first string of numbers is your internal IP address. Use this for connecting your "game" computer to the server, as well as any other computers connected directly to your router. Note that this up can change, so you will need to keep checking it and changing editing the saved server name accordingly (also, only for computers directly connected to the router.)
-Now is the tricky part. Go to your internet browser and enter your external IP into the address bar, and hit Enter.If your router can be configured through an internet browser, the router setup page should pop up. Take a screenshot of the page and post it on this thread. I will tell you where to go from there.

NOTE: You still might not be able to allow your friends to connect, so just post what is on your router's setup page and I will help you finish your setup. However, you can try to let your friends connect at this point, but I don't know that it will work; It didn't for me.

read all of the directions

hello i did everything that you typed in here but
nothing helps!!!
help me please!!:mad:

I told you to post an image of the router settings. Remember, type the external IP address into your browser's address bar, and tell me what you see. If nothing pops up, your router may not be compatible with port forwarding. When you get to the page, press [Print Screen] on your keyboard, go into any image editor, paste the screenshot into a new picture, save the picture, and post it on this thread. Simple.

If you can't follow my directions from typed words, shoot me your Skype or Yahoo username and I can talk you through the process with Skype or Yahoo! Messenger.

Help

Hey, guys. I've been having sort of the same problem lately. I haven't been able to connect to any Minecraft servers for about a month. I had a list of at least ten servers and they all said, "Can't Connect to Server."

My brother and I made our own server just a few days before this happened. He port-forwarded and everything, and I was able to connect to it just fine for the first few days, and then I couldn't connect anymore, unless I was using his laptop which is where we are hosting the server from. I don't know if this has anything to do with what is going on, but I thought I would just include that. I can still connect to it if I use his laptop, and his laptop only. He also cannot connect to any servers other than our own.

I can't think of any reason we can't connect. I know that he had to do some things with the router for port-forwarding, but, like I said, we were able to connect to other servers for a few days after that, and then everything went dead. If you could please help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it!

To add onto this, we got a new router right around the time that our problems started. I don't see why this would have changed anything, but maybe there's something I'll need to fix with this router? Let me know, please.

@Seanic

1: Talk to your internet provider to see if there are any problems there

2: For the other servers that you tried to connect to, make sure you have the right IP address, and include a port number if required. Note: you do not need the port number if it is 25565, which is the Minecraft default port.
Example:
IP address: 12.3.4.56
Port number: 25566
IP address including port: 12.3.4.56:25566

3: If you are still having problems, post your server IP address on the forums so I can see if I have any problems. I will also need to know when it will be on, so figure out a scheduled time range and post that, as well. Don't worry, I will only see if I can get a signal from it. I will not do anything else unless permitted.

Though I am not a professional, I can still be of great help, because I have dealt with setting up a Minecraft server, and most of the problems comming from the laptop that runs it.

I'll try to set up a day that I can turn on the server, but that might not happen for a while.

But I thought I'd let you guys know that I am able to connect to one server, aside from the one that we host. It's the only one that shows up as online and the only one I can connect to.

Well, you need to also keep in mind that not all public servers are online 24/7--even the servers listed as 24/7 aren't online completely non-stop. There are certain factors like server maintanence, power outages, or crashes that affect those. That might be the reason you aren't able to connect to them.

ITS Simple I had the same problem
#1 download Simple Port Forwarding
#2 you have to Allow something in the Start Page but I don't remember what it was. It had something to do with The Jar or Java Check on you tube
#3 Then if your friends still can't connect.
Unlock your Internet Router or give them the Internet Router Password so they can join
If they still cant join Then you have a Cheap Internet Rounter Antena but thats how mine worked
DONT FORGET TO SWITCH YOUR ONLINE MODE=FALSE IN THE SERVER PROPERTIES IF ITS MINECRAFT CRACKED(FREE)

I have 1 question for everybody, I have a Normal server and my friends CAN connect to it, I made a Bukkit Server but I can join it, but my friends cant and everythings the same as the Normal server, Do I have to Port anything else???

I have 1 question for everybody, i have a Normal server and my friends CAN connect to it, I made a Bukkit Server but i can join it, but my friends cant and everythings the same as the Normal server, Do i have to Port anything else???

Your internal IP address may have changed. Go to the server computer, click Start, and click My Network Places. Find the internet connection it is using and double-click on it. In the dialog box that pops up, click on the Support tab (if the server is Windows XP) and it should tell you the IP address. Update the port forwarding settings to forward to the new IP, and you should be all set. Note: I don't know which tab the IP address is shown for Windows Vista or 7, but I assure you, the IP address is in that dialog box.

i have the same problem i tried what you said to do but i think i may have done it wrong because when i put my external Ip into the browser address bar it couldn't find anything so what do i do if that doesn't work?

I have the same problem I tried what you said to do but I think I may have done it wrong because when I put my external Ip into the browser address bar it couldn't find anything so what do I do if that doesn't work?

If attempting to access your router through a web browser (by entering the external IP address into the address bar) does not bring you to the router's settings page, your router either...
  1. Does not have a settings page accessable with a web browser, in which case you will need to use compatible software to access the settings, or
  2. Does not have a settings page at all, in which case it does not support port-forwarding, and you will need to use an alternative method to forward the server port to the server, or just get a router that does*.
*Note: I have a Linksys E2000 wireless/wired router, and it does support port-forwarding, so you could base your choice around that (if you do choose to get a new router, of course).

Back