Netscape 7.2 coming to you August 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

Looks like Netscape is set to make a comeback (or at least try to make one...) with the release date set for version 7.2 to be August 3rd. That's only six days away... how will I hope from now until then? (Apart from dreaming about Doom III.)

"t was announced a while back that Netscape would continue releases of their browser suite and now the release date has been confirmed as August 3rd as a free download or by buying a CD."

Still, I don't think anything can take the spotlight away from Firefox.

agreed, ,Firefox took netscape code and made it useful... the new Netscape will just be a rip off of firefox or something. I won't be changing... unless they have a super feature of some kind.

Netscape is floating in dead water these days. They should probably just go ahead and call it quits before they get too tired to swim. :(

Netscape is now just the normal Mozilla (the normal suite, not Firefox) with a few netscape specific tweaks & options. Nothing much.

Well, I for one are quite happy that Netscape will re-enter the fray, since it's likely that they will persuade more people to switch from IE... (Since Netscape is a brand name and as such some people who wouldn't like to try FireFox might be more inclined to use it. )

Also since they're the ones who did the groundwork on Gecko, it'll be interesting to see how they'll affect further developments of the mozilla engine (if they do stay in the race).

And since some of us are somewhat conservative, others (like me) might just like keep on using the browser they've been using since they got internet access..

BTW: does anyone know if AOL will use Netscape as their default browser in the future? (If so, that might very well help topple IE's dominance)

Exactly, the brand name is what's important. It's easy for people who frequent tech sites like this to bash it and praise Firefox, but go ask you average home user and see what they think. You know, the kind that think Internet Explorer IS the internet. Most of them don't even know what the hell a firefox is. Netscape on the other hand, everyone knows what that is. It's based on Mozilla so it's NOT a bad browser, and if it will lure some more aol'ers from IE then more power to it. :)

But where is it?

It should've been out a while now, but I still can not find it...

Can anyone provide a link?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back