New forum format removed avatar & member status

Poppa Bear

With the new changes to the forum web site, my avatar has been removed and my status reduced to that of a newcomer?

Can someone please explain?

I imagine you were using one of the default avatars provided by the old forum platform. You can upload a new higher resolution avatar in your profile settings. I doubt any of the user status titles are set in stone, so hang tight while the finer details are worked out.

Thanks Matthew. I have already reinstated my original atavar from a custom upload. Just waiting for my status to be restored so I can send a PM.

Also noticed another bug in new system, or maybe it's to do with my status. Anyway, when I go to the tab with my User Name and hover the mouse pointer over it, a drop down menu appears, but as soon as I move the mouse to go into the menu it disappears.

Cheers PB :)

Aye, it's not just you (about the disappearing menu). I have that problem too and the developers are aware of it.

Poppa Bear, I'm glad you found your away around uploading a new avatar. We can now use larger and better looking pictures. Only custom avatars were imported from vBulletin. The other (mostly low-res) ones were left on the older platform to die.

As for user titles, I spent some time setting those up from scratch on Xenforo and I really have no idea why those aren't working by default. Xenforo has a more advanced (and complex) trophy point system which I will try to learn more about in the coming days. It seems a really cool reward system for those users who participate a lot or keep coming back to TechSpot. But going back to your question about titles, don't worry, that will be fixed very very soon.

Here's a status message I just posted on another thread regarding our forum move:

Apologies in advance if I can only offer a vague reply for now. We just spent 16 hours straight working on this forum move that obviously didn't go without hiccups. But on the bright side our dedicated team of devs were up to the task when things turned sour in the middle of the transition.

We did our homework and chose the best community platform from all of those available out there. But even ourselves have been unable to explore it and learn it in full until now. That said, many of the things that we are getting questions about or requests are readily available, just in different places, and more often than not, in better shape and form than before.

The "My posts" equivalent is "Your content", from the top menu drop down on the right side of the screen.

Just today we fixed over a dozen bugs that we didn't imagine were going to be there after the move, and we hope we can keep improving and fixing more things in the coming days and weeks. After 16 hours straight, I'm calling it a day (at 5am), but we'll be back for more very soon. Thanks for your understanding.

Alas, I'm not the only one. I saw that "newcomer" title, and I was shocked, confused over why I had been reset, then realized it could be the new software reset the stats.
Now I need a map to find my way around my profile. Jeez... :confused:

Nice work guys. Very updated and clean in both form and function while avoiding the "drive-by forum" feel.

I can't find a higher res for the Taz I've been using, so in steps Snake for me. It's going to take a while to get used to this new format, but i think people will.

Not sure about this "like" system though, I remember a big discussion about that awhile back.

We did try a thumbs up thumbs down thing a while ago, and it didn't go over as expected. I was a big supporter of it though because I think it forces people to think a bit more about what they are posting. We have a lot of different members now so maybe it will work better. It also is less of a 'new' concept now. I think Digg was about the only major site doing something like this (well reddit too, but reddit was small then). I see it in almost every forum I visit now, so its working in other places, maybe it can work here.

Yeah, It is everywhere now I agree there. But i dunno, without starting the whole debate again i kinda liked the "every post is neutral" style. Nobody hunting for kudos on fixing someones PC problem first (or whatever). You know some people will get like that.

In another note, I noticed we lost the "Friends" thing and the social groups (unless they're hiding somewhere?)

Those with the disappearing menu, can you please tell me which browser are you using?

The like system comes by default on Xenforo and we hope we can make the most of it. However this is different than what we tried with vBulletin a few years back. Then we had a "reputation" system, which affected to a extent your profile "score or credibility", the like system is simpler, works on a per post basis, and at least for now doesn't have votes down, just up to mark stuff that you like.

I've upgraded my avatar with the board upgrade. Now instead of black and white, I got a color one (same dude). But I couldn't find the exact same pose to screen capture....

As was said above, the ranks aren't working right/fully implemented at the moment. You haven't been permanently "demoted" or anything.

I've upgraded my avatar with the board upgrade. Now instead of black and white, I got a color one (same dude). But I couldn't find the exact same pose to screen capture....
The dude's name is Gordon Liu...he's a pretty famous martial arts actor (another star from the Shaw Brothers studio)- an image search would likely give you a huge amount of hits since the guy achieved cult status some time before Tarantino cast him in Kill Bill:Vol1

I didn't want any image of him, I wanted an image of him swiping his beard, like the one I had before. But the one I had before was low res (as per the old board's rules), so it got pixelated when stretched. So I fired up KBv2 (he is not in the first one) and found one I wanted.

I can't find the edit option to an existing post. Is that something still in transit? It is available in this post with the button to the left of "report".

I edited a post yesterday using the button that was next to "Report". This morning, however, the edit button seems to have disappeared on my posts.

Edit: Looks like it's a matter of time because the 'edit' button is on this one but not on my older ones. Bit of a problem for people who have guides to look after and update.

We are allowing edits for 30 minutes I think right now. What was it on vB?

And yes, I think we finally got the titles right for the most part. There is a new trophy system that takes under consideration not just post count, but how long you've been registered, the custom fields that you use (system specs, twitter, etc).

My title is still glitched. I haven't been on TechSpot for a while, could this be the reason it wasn't fixed?

We are allowing edits for 30 minutes I think right now. What was it on vB?

It was unlimited for the forum and limited in the picture comments (around 2 hours i think). Thing is though, people with guides can't update them at present under this system. It's a bit of a problem.

Back