New PC has issues, BSOD

stijnnnn

Hi guys,

I got a new pc for about 2 weeks now.

My pc: win7 home premium 64bits, i5 2500k, 2x AMD HD6800-series, 8gb RAM, OCZ Vertex 3, Samsung HD103SJ

When I got it - after the store build it and installed win7 - I started with installing all the programms I would need on shortterm (skype, vlc player, teamspeak3, steam, pokerstars etc.), so no strange virus containing programms I guess. The second day I had my pc running almost all day long, but at a certain moment the screen went black for a few seconds and when it recovered, I saw that windows had recovered from a error and was now fixed again, or something like that. I didnt check the details of the error because I tought it couldnt be something serious. The day after that, another error came, under same circumstances, and this time I checked the details, and saw this:

Probleemhandtekening:
Gebeurtenisnaam van probleem: BlueScreen
Versie van besturingssysteem: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Landinstelling-id: 1043

Aanvullende informatie over dit probleem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA8009E90160
BCP2: FFFFF88002E0780C
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000002
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Bestanden die helpen bij het beschrijven van het probleem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\110411-9282-01.dmp
C:\Users\Michel\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-13057-0.sysdata.xml

I was scared to death when I saw it was a bluescreen, and after some research on google I found out it had something to do with my gpu(s), so I checked drivers, but it was all fine, so I left it like that.

For about a week it was all fine, untill yesterday I went out with some friends, and I remember shuttin down the pc but before I left the room I saw that it was preparing for a windows update. When I turned my pc on this morning, it showed another error, another bluescreen. This time with another BCCode:

Probleemhandtekening:
Gebeurtenisnaam van probleem: BlueScreen
Versie van besturingssysteem: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Landinstelling-id: 1043

Aanvullende informatie over dit probleem:
BCCode: f4
BCP1: 0000000000000003
BCP2: FFFFFA8008640B30
BCP3: FFFFFA8008640E10
BCP4: FFFFF8000319E8B0
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Bestanden die helpen bij het beschrijven van het probleem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\111211-8720-01.dmp
C:\Users\Michel\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-10623-0.sysdata.xml

After some research I noticed it had something to do with my harddrive, and I also checked out my .dmp minidumps but they left me clueless except for the fact that the first dumpfile was the same size as the last one (so I conclude that the error I had this morning was the same as the first one I had a week ago --> with bccode f4)

Maybe you can find something in the attached dumpfiles and tell me whats wrong and what to do, because besides of this its running all my new games like a beast :)

TY :)))

Attachments

• my dmps.zip
    70.8 KB · Views: 9
Make sure all the Windows 7 updates are applied. Run Windows Update until no more updates are found. Even if it says "No New Updates Available", press check for updates

Ok, thanks! I'm now updating. Is there any more you can tell me about why I got a bluescreen? Do the .dmp files tell you anything?

See what the updating does for you. Minidumps are sometimes so general that checking memory and the hard drive for errors cover 90% of the causes of BSOD's. Because your computer is so new, the memory and hard drive should be fine. Program conflicts could be an issue here

The problems were gone for a few weeks, but now the same 2 bluescreens are coming back. BCCode f4 and 116. (Which i thought were something with RAM and something with drivers. I think everything is updated properly so that can't be the problem, it might be a virus.

Another clue that it might be a virus is because i cant attach any of my minidumps. It tells me i need rights, but when i check advanced settings it seems like i got full rights to open it.

I already tried moving the dumps to another map and uploading them from there, but still doesnt work.

Help pls?!?!

Ty in advance,

Stijn

Ok, I did several runs with essential and my pc seems to be clean. I already know why I couldnt upload the .dmp files this time because last time I zipped them first, and then uploaded them. That way still works, so I think my pc doesnt have a virus. I zipped the .dmps from last few days (I've had 1 BSOD every day) I notice that there are only 2 different ones, one with BCCode f4 (271 kb) and one with BCCode 116 (320 kb). I hope you guys can find something in it that causes all these BSOD's. Besides the random bluescreens my pc seems to be running very good, so I really dont know what this is all about...

Attachments

• my dmps1.zip
    145.5 KB · Views: 5
My drivers, windows updates and everything that you stated in the first comment are all been taken care of, so those cant be the problem I guess. I also did a memory test, and that seems to be fine aswell.

Okay, the minidumps point to 2 drivers. The first and most important is "atikmpag.sys" and the second is "volmgrx.sys"...

The first is part of an ATI driver, so unfortunately this is a driver issue. A very common driver problem here, by the way. Are you running the video cards in Crossfire mode? If so, disable Crossfire and see if the PC stabilizes... Try updating the video driver. Are you over-clocking the video cards or CPU?

First of all, thanks for checking out the dmp files. I'm really glad you did that for me, because this BSOD bull**** is getting on my nerves.

Yes, I'm running my gpu's in Crossfire. And no, I'm not overclocking my gpu's or my cpu as far as I know. I checked Catalyst Control Center and Overdrive is off, that's what you mean right?

I just updated my gpu drivers, yet again. So I was wrong by sayin all my drivers were up to date. Now they are.

If the BSOD's keep coming I will disable Crossfire, but I'm a gamer though, and playing a lot of Battlefield 3 at the moment. So when the BSOD's keep coming I will disable Crossfire, but will I still be able to play the game properly? I got two AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series gpu's.

Thanks for your help!!!

By the way, what can you say about the other file that is causing BSOD's? I think the one caused by atikmpag.sys is gone now I updated my drivers. And I'm pretty sure that was the one with BCCode 116. But what about the one with BCCode f4 caused by the other file?

Ty in advance.

I couldn't find what "volmgrx.sys" is. It may have to do with the ATI driver. Keep Crossfire enabled until and if you get another BSOD, disable Crossfire

Damn... I thought I got rid of it, but it's back. Just had another BSOD with drivers updated...

BCCode 116. I will attach minidump but pretty sure its still that atikmpag.sys or volmgrx.sys. I will disable crossfire and look what happens next few days.

Attachments

• my dmps2.zip
    27.8 KB · Views: 4
3 drivers:

1. ATIKMPAG.SYS
2. DXGMMS1.SYS
3. DXGKRNL.SYS

They are all related to the AMD/ATI drivers. Turn off that crossfire ;)

Hi, with Crossfire disabled that driver problem seems to be gone for now. Yesterday I somehow got another BSOD with the old bccode (f4), could you take a look at the minidump for me? (I accidently deleted it but retrieved it afterwards but somehow the name of the file changed - maybe it's corrupted now ;/)

Attachments

• adaa.zip
    22.8 KB · Views: 1
NTOSKRNL.EXE= general Windows instability, Memory or hard drive corruption... or not

this... again

I already ran several memory tests, and there seems to be nothing wrong with that. So could it be my (external) harddrive causing this BSOD? It's very new so I cant imagine it being corrupt already.

Meh, 2 more BSOD's, the second and last one occured the second I enabled Crossfire to check if it would cause problems again and joined a bf3 game 5 minutes later.... First occured when I was AFK few days ago, might be another memory/harddrive fail again. You tell me guys ;) Ty in advance. I hope I can solve this BSOD problem somehow, because I'm pretty sure it's not that good for my system. Or ain't it that harmful?

Attachments

• ada.zip
    48.7 KB · Views: 1
"...because I'm pretty sure it's not that good for my system. Or ain't it that harmful?"

When you get BSOD's there is trouble and instability with your system. It may not be harmful to the hardware, but it is very annoying to you because you can't play the games you want to play. You are still getting ATIkmpag.sys and directX errors, all relating to your video in one way or another. Try installing a bigger power supply than the one you have installed now

"You are still getting ATIkmpag.sys and DirectX errors, all relating to your video in one way or another. Try installing a bigger power supply than the one you have installed now"

This is exactly what the minidumps are telling me :)

Ok, I found a lot of threads elsewhere about this same cause. It has something to do with certain drivers that launch when the pc boots. One that was stated often as the problem was the DEAMON TOOLS driver, which indeed is active when my pc boots - checked in msconfig. I disabled this one and a few others. I hope this one is fixed for now, if this wont fix it I have to disable all them drivers one by one to check which ones are causing the BSOD's. Might take some time but it will fix it for sure.

Still have to find a final solution for the BSOD caused by the Crossfire function in Catalyst Control Center - in stead of simply disabling it, because it costs me some frames per second in games ;)

I really got the feeling I'm getting somewhere now. Thanks for all the help till this moment. Don't lock this thread though, I'm pretty sure I'll still need your help anyway haha.

Back