new pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

etones

i have just got a new pc, (check user profie for info). and it came with windows xp home and i want to upgrade it to windows xp pro, but when i try and install it it displays a blue screen. then i keeps doing that until i reformat the hard drive. help

First check manufacturers web for any info for your Upgrade.
If you are able reformat and Partition with the XP pro disk(or other Boot Disk) You may find your XP disk is dirty or scarred or just finicky , so copy the pro disk to a partition not used for O/S and install from there.
I have also found DVD drives unreliable/touchy, use the CDRW to Boot and install.
FYI If your XP Home edition is a Microsoft disk ,you do not have to install XP Home first,The Pro disk will say it does not find a Qualifying O/S and will ask where it is .Just remove the Pro CD and place the Home CD in the Rom drive and point the window browse to the the rom drive click O.K. Then replace the Pro disk and continue with installation.This is the best way to install if you can.

i didnt get a xp home disk with my pc, it was already installed. i only recvied a office xp disk. i called my mate and hes goin to bring round his copy of win xp pro and try it.

Your Xp upgrade disk has to have your OEM version installed .Your license will not go into you Mate's version if it is a Full retail .
You will be better off getting your OEM installed or return your upgradeXP for a full version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back