News around the web: Gamer Becomes Pro Racer

By Erik
Dec 4, 2009
  1. Champion Gran Turismo Gamer Becomes Real-world Racing Champion @ DailyTech

Read the whole story
  2. IvanAwfulitch

IvanAwfulitch TS Booster Posts: 218   +11

Who ever said that gaming wouldn't bring you anywhere in life? Ordonez is the proof in the pudding that certain gaming habits can be conducive to real-world success. Way to go, d00d!
  3. Boogityboo04

Boogityboo04 TS Rookie Posts: 302

Yeah, that guy is living my dream.
  4. insect

insect TS Evangelist Posts: 315   +114

I'm always inspired by people who take real-world skill learned through gaming (hand-eye coordination, reaction time, reflexes, etc.) and apply them to real-world situations and careers. There was a story a few years ago about a flight simulator gamer who joined the military and excelled at remotely controlling various aircraft. He got promoted quickly and was an instructor/trainer not to long after that.
  5. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,706   +170

Personally I love GT, mainly because of the realistic physics rather than the emphasis on arcade pick up and play style of other racing games. Props to the guy on making it in real life - it's a lot harder than people think because of the G-forces which you don't feel in a game.
  6. KG363

KG363 TS Guru Posts: 515   +9

Didn't Intel just get fined for $1.45 billion for doing what Microsoft is trying to do?
  7. ColdPreacher

ColdPreacher TS Rookie Posts: 56

Ya props to that guy who was able to make his dream reality. I could see how understanding how a vehicle handles in a game can be used to better your self for the real thing.
  8. saintbodhisatva

saintbodhisatva TS Rookie Posts: 59

This isnt the first time a video game was used as a precursor to real life scenarios. Technically speaking, Aircraft pilots have been using simulators since who knows when - circumstances are different this time of course. Best of luck to Mr. OrdoƱez. Good job man!
  9. Decimae

Decimae TS Rookie Posts: 78

IMO, what microsoft might(the article says they don't confirm it, nor deny it) be doing, will just scare the people away from that particular site.
  10. levar

levar TS Rookie Posts: 229

Those are some nice AMD budget processors.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.