Nokia is building a WP8 handset with a true PureView image sensor

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Nokia is reportedly working on what is described as a true PureView Windows Phone 8 handset that would ship with a super-high resolution image sensor similar to the 41-megapixel monster found in the 808 PureView. The device, which goes by the codename EOS, will be a high-end addition to the Lumia family according to The Verge.

The publication points out that the phone will be built using lightweight aluminum rather than the usual polycarbonate that recent Lumia Windows Phones have used. The phone will use square edges as well which is said to be part of a fresh design cycle for Lumia handsets.

nokia pureview wp8 windows phone 8

There’s reason to believe this rumor as we heard rumblings of a similar Nokia handset earlier this month. Codenamed Catwalk, that handset is also expected to use aluminum as a building material. The internal hardware, however, should be in line with the current generation Lumia 920 which means a 4.5-inch display, a dual-core processor, PureView camera technology and 4G LTE connectivity.

The choice of codename is a bit interesting as it could be taken from Canon’s line of digital cameras considering the EOS will use a high-resolution sensor. Of course, that could be a complete coincidence as well.

Either way, we’re told that AT&T will get first dibs on the new Nokia handset sometime later this year. A third mid-range Windows Phone 8 device is expected to debut this summer. With any luck, we could see all three phones on display at Mobile World Congress next month.

Permalink to story.

IT seems that Nokia are saturating the market with Win8 phone models so as to cover every possible budget - good on them!

I personally LOVE my Lumia 620, and will NEVER go back to an iPhone.

Thank goodness Microsoft finally came into the phone market (again), t this time with an APPLE SQUASHER!

I'm still really confused as to how upping the megapixel count to something like 41 helps in image quality?
surely a bigger sensor and better lens would work much better?

After reading how this PureView tech works I'm not entirely convinced, it sounds like badly lit rooms or night time photos will come out really badly on this camera, even with the help of a real flash.

To add to it all, the output files are actually 5 megapixels? the camera may rely on 41 mega pixels but it puts 8 pixels into one to then produce the output image, I still don't get how this would help with image quality?

Can anyone fill me in or have I missed something?

@ burty

think of the way anti aliasing works. Rendering a large image and shrinking it down results in a sharper, smoother image. When you shrink down these large images it also reduces the noise, something very important on smartphones. While larger pixel count doesn't exactly translate to a higher quality image, it certainly doesn't hurt.

After the incident with the big truck and the professional camera filming the video that was supossedly made with the "pureview camera" of the Nokia Lumia 920... I'm very esceptic of them... When honesty and trust is lost, it's difficult to obtain them again...

Back