OCZ expands Vertex SSD line with faster variants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

OCZ is expanding its already impressive Vertex SSD series today with the launch of new overclocked variants. Available in 30GB, 60GB, 120GB and 250GB capacities, the Vertex Turbo Edition drives are similar to their well-regarded Vertex predecessors but feature proprietary FTL-level firmware and a quicker 64MB of SDR DRAM cache operating at 180MHz; up from the Vertex’s 166MHz.

With these adjustments, the larger 120GB and 250GB drives can hit read and write speeds of up to 270MB/s and 200MB/s, respectively, with sustained write speeds listed at up to 120MB/s. The remaining models have performance figures approximately 25% lower. There is no word on pricing and availability yet, but the Turbo line will naturally warrant a premium over standard Vertex drives – which start at around $135 for the 30GB version and go all the way up to $730 for the 250GB model.

Along with the increased performance, OCZ is also extending the warranty of all their premium level SSDs from two to three years. This includes all Vertex and Summit drives including the Mac Edition and Vertex EX, but excludes the Agility series due to their low cost NAND flash. Customers who already bought any of these drives will have their warranties extended.

Permalink to story.

Isn't the SSD market going just CRAZY-FAST?!? 2009 has been such a wild year for solid-state drives - and OCZ it seems can't hardly keep up with its own announcements! They just keep pushing 'em out with ever more tweaks and refinements.

The SSD market and brands are consolidating rapidly: There's OCZ with SuperTalent, Patriot, G.Skill and Calvalry playing catch-up for not just performance - but to stake out a recognizable BRAND.

SSD's are only beginning to tip the scales of the _consumer_ market. Still a bit too much in the hands of tweaky-geeky types. But I think by year's end this is gonna shift rapidly.

Bring 'em on OCZ!

No reason to rush to judgment... wait for the Windows 7 Professional install, not the upgrade they are pushing now, and then decide. You are going to continue seeing new drives from now until Christmas... with prices going crazy, and performance stories all around the loop.

I love my Vertex 60GB. Its like my Windows 7 RC computer is from the Future. It is that crazy fast. For around $200 you can't beat it to totally change your PC's performance!

The only thing I'm wanting is larger cheaper drives. I am hoping the SSD market starts to really take off and drive down prices comparable to traditional hard drives.

Hooray for extended warranties! =]

It's completely true how fast these suckers are... I recently purchased a 30gb Vertex for Vista 64 and the performance is just unbelievable. If you can afford it (and they still are very pricey), you should definitely invest in one of these even if just for your operating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back