OCZ finally ships its PCIe SSD, Z-Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Showcased earlier this year at CeBIT and officially introduced in April, OCZ is finally shipping its Z-Drive. Curiously, this news comes at about the same time Super Talent introduced its 2TB RAIDDrive -- call it a coincidence if you want. The Z-Drive houses four SSDs linked via RAID 0 and uses the PCI-Express x8 interface.

According to OCZ's press release, the Z-Drive will ship in two varieties: the MLC-based p84, and SLC-based e84. The MLC kit boasts a maximum read/write speed of 750/650MB/s, and 10,000 IOPS, while the SLC version bumps that up to 800/750MB/s and 16,000. Both models will ship with a three-year warranty and in 256GB or 512GB capacities, but only the MLC-equipped p84 will be available with 1TB of storage.

Amazon has yet to update the Z-Drive's status ("usually ships in 1 to 3 months"), but the drives are currently listed with prices that range from $1,561 to $3,369.

Permalink to story.

Question still remains: Is it bootable? No-one seems to know for sure. On Hard forums etc people say "I can't see why not" but that is not the same as "Yes it does".
Considering the market OCZ targets, I'm surprised they don't actually state it. As it would be a selling point, I'd have to assume it can't be used as a bootable device, otherwise they would have said so (until someone actually does it!).

I'd love to have a go with one of these and see what a difference it would make in my everyday computer use and gaming. Will have to wait for the market to go mainstream though I guess (price would be an issue for me)

10,000 IOPS Is Lousy number. especially for price. THIS IS MISTAKE BOARD.
Intel SSd has 25,000 IOPS & Cheaper by long shot,ALTHOUGH MUCH Slower. So somewhere rating system is goofed up as 10,000 IOPS & 800 Mb/s are NOT same thing in todays terms. Hot pci-e cards get up to 125,000 IOPS at same price & twice speed or more.
Signed:pHYSICIAN THOMAS STEWART von DRASHEK M.D.

For reference, I was thrown by the fact that the p84 does not have the statement "This proprietry SSD is bootable..." but I did not originally see "For use as primary boot drive or data storage" on the feature summary.

So where can we get this intel SSD with 25.000 iops for the same price with better performance???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back