Inactive [on-hold] Iexplore.exe multiple entries in task mgr

Status
Not open for further replies.

yale2500

multiple explore.exe running in task mgr. iexplore.exe constantly goes higher sometime over 200000mb. computer is slow. have scanned with Avast and Malwarebytes and found nothing. i'm not an expert so i need help in plain english. i hope it is out there. i joined here because some the posts i read - people seemed to get real help. thanks john

Welcome aboard
yahooo.gif

multiple explore.exe running in task mgr
What IE version?
Does it happen with IE open, or closed?

That's normal.
IE8 will open two iexplore.exe processes from the get go and more of them with each new tab open.
Any other issues?

iexplore.exe

I've heard that iexplore should use about 40000K to 60000K worth of memory. I always have one of the iexplore.exe that continues to increase sometimes up to 200000K or more. This happens even if only 1 tab is open. I see this in task mgr. Like right it shows 130000K.

Is this normal?

Normally, you shouldn't be concerned with RAM usage, unless you have a limited amount of RAM.
What you should be concerned with is CPU usage.

Let's see...

Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key
Windows_Logo_key.gif
, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
- security programs in use (antivirus, firewall)

Download Process Explorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
Unzip ProcessExplorer.zip, and double click on procexp.exe to run the program.
Click on View > Select Colunms.
In addition to already pre-selected options, make sure, the Command Line is selected, and press OK.
Go File>Save As, and save the report as Procexp.txt.
Attach the file to your next reply.

System:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Compaq Evo
Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R)
4 - M CPU 2.00GHz
1.99 GHz, 512 MB of RAM

Used space 16,237,817,856 bytes 15.1 GB
Free space 3,766,030.336 bytes 3.50GB

Capacity 20,003,848.192 bytes 18.6 GB

I think I did it correctly - let me know
Thank you

Attachments

• AvastSvc.exe.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 1
Your CPU usage looks just fine.
System Idle Process (CPU NOT used) is listed at 89.42%.

I'd suggest getting more RAM though.
An extra 512MB will help a lot.

The site you referenced said I could put 2 512mb in. What do you think it would cost for 2 of them. Is there any particular manufacturer that you would recommend?

Also is there a way I could tell what's currently in it? That is without looking.

You already have 512MB of RAM, so you'd need another stick.
Crucial should show you their prices.

Thanks alot for your work today. So just to be clear, it doesn't matter if I have 2 iexplore.exe running - correct and also it doesn't matter if one of the iexplore.exe goes over 200000K - correct. MY computer should be faster if I increase the memory. I think a friend put 2 sticks @ 256mb in, so I'd have to get 2 512mb.

All correct.
As for RAM usage by IE, it may be matter of some add-ons.

Close IE.
Go Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools, and click on Internet Explorer (no add-ons).
Check RAM usage.

Good morning,
I opened IE without addons - the only addon was Google search. MSN (home age) seemed to run about 60000K. I opened my email (Gmail) and it went to 85000K. Only 1 tab was open. I tried yahoo.com and got about the same - only 1 tab open. Then I clicked on a slide show in yahoo and went through about 75 pictures. I checked ram usuage after that and it 363000+. I clicked on Home (to go back to my home page) and it took forever. As it was connecting I pulled up Task mgr and it was steadily decreasing. When it got about 85000 the page finally opened. It took about a minute to finally open the page. I'm confused. What do you think or should I just get a new laptop? This one is quite old but it still serves my purpose.

I just looked at my IE.
I opened it with a blank page - 43K.
Opened Google search. It jumped to 104K.
Opened another tab - 145K.
So, it seems to be using some serious amount of RAM.

In any case, we can check, if something sinister is hiding on your machine.

Please, complete all steps listed here: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/
Make sure, you PASTE all logs. If some log exceeds 50,000 characters post limit, split it between couple of replies.
Attached logs won't be reviewed.

Please, observe following rules:
  • Read all of my instructions very carefully. Your mistakes during cleaning process may have very serious consequences, like unbootable computer.
  • If you're stuck, or you're not sure about certain step, always ask before doing anything else.
  • Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those I suggest.
  • Never run more than one scan at a time.
  • Keep updating me regarding your computer behavior, good, or bad.
  • The cleaning process, once started, has to be completed. Even if your computer appears to act better, it may still be infected. Once the computer is totally clean, I'll certainly let you know.
  • If you leave the topic without explanation in the middle of a cleaning process, you may not be eligible to receive any more help in malware removal forum.
  • I close my topics if you have not replied in 5 days. If you need more time, simply let me know. If I closed your topic and you need it to be reopened, simply PM me.

This looks like it's going to take awhile so I won't get to it until the weekend probably. Can I copy and paste it to a word file to ensure it doesn't go away - you mentioned 5 days - or please extend it through next monday.
Advise

Please xtend it through next monday if you can or advise if I could copy and paste it to a word file.

It appears it's going to take a long time.

Something happened with my last reply..............

I asked if I could copy and paste your instructions or could you extend the time until next Monday. The reason is that it appears this 'fix' will take quite some time. I wouldn't be able to get to it until this coming weekend. I'm going out of town and preparing for that, I won't have time to complete it until then.

Let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back