OnePlus 2 launches as '2016 flagship killer' for $329

Scorpus

Staff member

OnePlus has today unveiled the OnePlus 2, the company's brand new flagship Android handset that they are calling the "2016 flagship killer". The metal-bodied smartphone will soon become available for just $329 as a 16GB model, and $389 as a 64 GB model.

The OnePlus 2 features a wealth of high-end specifications. There's a Snapdragon 810 under the hood, with four ARM Cortex-A57 CPU cores clocked at 2.0 GHz plus four Cortex-A53 cores at 1.6 GHz, complemented by an Adreno 430 GPU and dual-SIM Category 9 LTE. There's also 3 or 4 GB of RAM inside this device, depending on whether you opt for 16 or 64 GB of storage.

Rather than using a display with an unnecessary amount of pixels, reducing performance and battery life, OnePlus has stuck with a 5.5-inch 1080p display for the OnePlus 2. The company claims this display has a contrast ratio of 1500:1 for "brighter, bolder colors".

The rear camera is a 13-megapixel sensor with 1.3 micron pixels, larger than the 1.1 micron pixels we see in many current-generation flagships. OnePlus has also included a laser autofocus system for focus times less than 0.3 seconds, and optical image stabilization.

The OnePlus 2 also comes with a range of other useful features, including a fingerprint scanner below the display, USB Type-C for charging the 3,300 mAh battery, and a dedicated Alert Slider that can be used to quickly switch between Android's three notification modes: all, priority, and none.

On the software side, the OnePlus 2 runs OxygenOS, which is a customized version of Android 5.1 that includes "subtle changes" that "add real value to the user experience", such as the ability to change accent colors and customize the icon style and grid layout.

The OnePlus 2 will go on sale on August 11 in the United States, Canada, China, the EU, and India through the company's annoying invite system. It will also be available in Southeast Asia in Q4 2015.

Images courtesy of Android Central

Permalink to story.

Unfortunately, you need an invite to actually buy the thing... or join a wait list... kind of weird considering you'd think they'd want as many people as possible to buy the thing...

Assuming it's a gimmicky type thing to stir up extra interest - kind of like gmail invites way back when...

Unfortunately, you need an invite to actually buy the thing... or join a wait list... kind of weird considering you'd think they'd want as many people as possible to buy the thing...

Assuming it's a gimmicky type thing to stir up extra interest - kind of like gmail invites way back when...
I've also thought of another theory, because they essentially control how many are sold, they can effectively make and stock exactly the right amount rather than wasting money on stock that might never get sold. I guess it's pretty effective considering they're a fairly new player to the game and can come out with these, lets face it, pretty epic phones for the price.

Not really, they don't want everybody to buy the thing, they deliberately keep stocks short. That way they create desirability, they sell every unit they manufacture and it helps keep the price low among other advantages (for them). It's a very clever tactic although it's a pain in the neck for most.
The consumers advantage is that they get very high end device for a midrange price.

Last edited:

I've also thought of another theory, because they essentially control how many are sold, they can effectively make and stock exactly the right amount rather than wasting money on stock that might never get sold. I guess it's pretty effective considering they're a fairly new player to the game and can come out with these, lets face it, pretty epic phones for the price.

I read an interview with one of the founders, and he said that keeping it invite only basically reduces the amount of storage space they need, units and resources wasted when they could be spent doing other things, so you are pretty much spot on.

A lot of consumer goods in China are built this way. They offer a device, take the order/money for a device. Once they have enough for a production run, they use the money to buy materials to build the device. After that, they are shipped to consumers. Then they offer another batch and once that money comes in, coupled with any profit, will do it over and over again, until interest slows. It's just the way they do business in some Chinese businesses. OnePlus, does not "make" the device. In all honesty, it's nothing more than the Oppo (who actually builds it) Find7, minuse some features such as removable battery, ext SD card etc. They "cheapen" the Find7, slap the Oppo case on it and sell it as the OnePlus. BBK electronics, the parent corporation, sells phones, dvd blueray players etc. The head guy from OnePlus, came from their Blue Ray division.

At least they are open and up front with their business practice - have the demand AND supply it rather than dream of iPhone crushing - based on the OnePlus this player can actually deliver.

I have signed up for their invite having some spare cash thanks to a recent refund on a February transaction for what was meant to have been the dragon slayer of mobile hand sets (Last Year) and OnePlus killer. Delayed over and over whilst design and supply issues were supposedly resolved when SAYGUS sought more market funding it convinced me it was time to forget the Saygus V2 (wasn't their first handset also a no show?)

I have the OnePlus One and it is the best phone I have ever bought. I am sure the two is even better, there is a video on youtube for a hands on with the phone and reviewer said it had the most responsive fingerprint scanney that is faster than iPhones and Samsungs

Not really, they don't want everybody to buy the thing, they deliberately keep stocks short. That way they create desirability, they sell every unit they manufacture and it helps keep the price low among other advantages (for them). It's a very clever tactic although it's a pain in the neck for most.
The consumers advantage is that they get very high end device for a midrange price.

thats true....I have to agree....but lets face it, it looks like it's going to be a nice phone to get a hold of :)

At least they are open and up front with their business practice - have the demand AND supply it rather than dream of iPhone crushing - based on the OnePlus this player can actually deliver.

I have signed up for their invite having some spare cash thanks to a recent refund on a February transaction for what was meant to have been the dragon slayer of mobile hand sets (Last Year) and OnePlus killer. Delayed over and over whilst design and supply issues were supposedly resolved when SAYGUS sought more market funding it convinced me it was time to forget the Saygus V2 (wasn't their first handset also a no show?)

That thing is ridiculous, no wonder why they couldn't deliver.

Back