Online gaming lag

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a new computer...

Intel® Core 2 Quad Q8200 processor (2.33GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 4MB Cache) Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium 4GB DDR2 memory 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce 9800GT 750GB SATA hard drive (7200rpm)

My ping is 37,
upload is 380kbps
download is 6.4mb

All online games are slow, but downloading, web browsing and offline games are all really fast.

I have formatted and i have no virus and I have tried everything I can think of to try and nothing seems to work.

I'm hoping that someone here might be able to help me with this problem, as it is getting very frustrating and irritating.

When you say 'slow' and 'all online games', do you mean slow as in laggy or do you mean your fps is low?

If you have a bad latency, there could be a number of reasons. If it's an FPS issue, that's another story.

What kind of games specifically?

What I mean when i say slow, is that it is laggy and i don't know what my fps is... is there a way i can find out?

The lag happens in combat and in busy areas....and the games are... RuneScape and Silkroad online.

This problem just started about a month ago, before that they were fine.

It can't be your computer, remember you formatted it, and all other Internet works ok

It must be your Modem settings (try defaulting it, or updating the firmware) or the Game Server, or your Internet Server
That's all I can think of, and I know enough about computers to have thousands of solved threads each week. So I'd say yes most know about how to fix computers here ;)

The lag happens in combat and in busy areas....and the games are... RuneScape and Silkroad online.

This problem just started about a month ago, before that they were fine.

I used to play runescape and one thing i found when playing it is that if you are a
a F2P (freeworld player) when the ads at the top of the screen change you will often get a several minute long lag spike. only way to really resolve that is becoming a member by paying the subscription fee. also if you have toolbars loaded onto you internet explorer they tend to cause a bit of lag, so you would want to disable them.

With many online games you can set the res to low-med-high.
If you are currently playing on high detail try one of the lower details such as low or medium to try to resolve this problem.This is most likely to resolve the issue.

Another possibility is that if you are running a wireless connection your modem and router may not be compatible. OR your router may not be compatible with your wireless software. This can cause frequent disconnections, limited connection, or no connection at all. This is very unlikely, but restarting your modem and router can often resolve this temporarily.

Also when running games if you have other windows open in the back it can tend to slow games down a bit.

Since runescape is a browser based game it doesnt use a whole lot of memory, so RAM shouldnt be an issue.

And possibly you dont have an up-to-date flashplayer, usually that will cause the inability to even play games like runescape but if it allows you to play it will run slow.
If all else fails call your ISP and see if they can do anything.

As you see there are many possibilities.
Good luck!

Hi,

I play SRO on some pretty low-spec PC's^^

In the SRO graphics options, turn off shadows - this should have a big effect.

Defrag your hard drive after every SRO update; the files are very big. Each time you move into a new area, your gfx card needs to load the new area maps, if the files are in several pieces, loading is slower, 'lag' is significantly increased.

In addition to the previous comments regarding ping times, applications that can affect your ping times include messaging progs and P2P clients, turn these off to test.

SRO and many 'older' apps may not play well on multi-core CPU's, try setting the affinity for SRO to use only 1 core of your processor.

Good luck,

Taff.

In addition to the previous comments regarding ping times, applications that can affect your ping times include messaging progs and P2P clients, turn these off to test.

Yes messaging progs really do mess with ping, i forgot to mention those.
Good call Taff.

ok try doing this, using an old video card and see if the problem still exists, if it does, try the RAM if its still happening try replacing the mobo, sorry man its the things you have to go through

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back