Opera 10.60 beta boasts even faster browsing, new features

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

A new beta version of Opera is available and along with various new features, it flaunts the usual speed improvements. Build 10.60 of the "world's fastest browser" is said to be 50% quicker on select JavaScript tests than the recently launched Opera 10.50 – which is already quite speedy, so we're unsure how an isolated 50% improvement translates to real world performance. But faster is always better right?

Added features include geolocation, which can detect your location on a map and is useful for localizing search results, support for the open video format WebM, custom thumbnails for tabs, and overall visual improvements on Speed Dial, tab previews, and the Opera menu button.

There's also talk of "search suggestions for selected partners in the Speed Dial and search box," while HTML5 Appcache lets you use apps like a word processor or image editor in your browser, and developers can use Web Workers for heavy calculations without slowing down the browser.

You can download Opera 10.60b1 for Windows here.

Permalink to story.

Welp, only been using it for a few minutes and can't tell much of a difference between this new one and the old one performance wise...could just be me, though. Anyway, I wanted to see some validity to their claim, so I performed the peacekeeper browser benchmarker between Chrome and Opera (the two upcoming "monsters").

Opera 10.60 - 1675
Chrome 5.0.375.70 - 1465

So on my netbook, Opera takes the lead. Though...I still refuse to give up my firefox. Yeah it may not be as fast as these other browsers, but I like it better (although technically I use Palemoon but it's same thing, just lighter and faster).

I should also add that there is an annoying ad feature. You see an ad on EVERY page at the top, along with a little bar on the side that says "Go To:" and you select either Home Page or Privacy Search......really annoying. You can close it, but still annoying. I hope this is just in the beta version and will not be in the official release...Opera will definitely hear from me on this, lol.

And while i'm here, I like that the speed dial opens whenever you open a new tab (can't remember if it did that before or not), and the fact that you can choose a background, but what i want is what I have for the Google Chrome speed dial...the option to put picture in each speed dial. So instead of seeing the page on your speed dial, you would see a picture you found on the web for that particular dial (the Facebook logo for Facebook, YouTube logo for YouTube...so on and so forth). I'm not blown away just yet...need to play around with it a bit more and give it some more time to develop.

Their speed dial search partner is Bing?

That's interesting, considering all the legal discussions surrounding Microsoft and Opera (eg MSN.com, browser monopoly).

Been a fan of it, even back when I bought a license when they sold it :)
Always use this over IE unless its something that requires Microsoft only web technologies.

BE CAREFUL :
If you use Opera already, this installs over the top unlike previous betas that have created a separate installations. I've lost any bookmarks I had in custom bookmark folders and passwords saved by the WAND system.

IGNORE PREVIOUS COMMENT: it just updated all links for Opera to point to the 10.60b.
Still got my old version with all bookmarks and passwords... Phew.
Never used to update shortcuts in the QuickLaunch toolbar :D

IGNORE PREVIOUS COMMENT: it just updated all links for Opera to point to the 10.60b.
Still got my old version with all bookmarks and passwords... Phew.
Never used to update shortcuts in the QuickLaunch toolbar :D

Not sure how you how you found old version as I was having the same issue with losing my bookmarks. Can you explain what you did to find Old Version? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back