Overclocked CPU with aftermarket cooler temp range questions

Osiris391

I own a Core2 Duo E7500 2.93ghz overclocked to 3.2ghz

I recently bought a Rocketfish Universal Cooler and it keeps my overclocked cpu temp at 39 Celsius idle and 55 Celsius under load. I want to know if these temps are normal for a $30 cooler and how much a difference it would make if I were to upgrade the cooler to something like the Coolermaster V8 or the Noctua NH-U9B SE2.
I live in Florida and the house temp is around 78 degrees.

temps are fine, but if you wanted to test the cooler's limits raise the vcore a bit and monitor the temps via BIOS. when the chip idles in the mid to high 40's (and perhaps into the 50s), try running some CPU intensive applications, then monitor temps again. if the processor climbs into the 60s or 70s on load then i would say that's your limit. you may be able to keep the temps down a little bit with a high-performance thermal compound, but consider that an extra step...

Well that answers my first question, but how much are my temps going to drop if i upgrade to one of those $60 coolers? I'll try that bios bit though

Thanks

The difference between an average cooler and a really good one (expensive is not always better) can be quite a bit but your temps are perfectly acceptable with the cooler you have. There are plenty of sites that do cooler reviews if you wanted to get an idea of the potential performance.

http://www.frostytech.com/ has a ton of heatsinks compared.

Well that answers my first question, but how much are my temps going to drop if i upgrade to one of those $60 coolers?

impossible for me to say, because there are simply too many factors that play a role in CPU temperature. every setup is a little different, so i can only speculate that getting a more high-end cooler will drop temps maybe 5-10c when coupled with a good thermal compound. as jmmd pointed out there are some really good coolers on the market but your temps are acceptable, so i wouldn't worry about upgrading. you're not going to see any noticeable performance differences if your processor is running 5-10c cooler.

impossible for me to say, because there are simply too many factors that play a role in CPU temperature. every setup is a little different,

to add to EXC's sage advice, you might try making sure your case airflow is as good as can be. Your CPU temps (and everything else for that matter) are only going to be as good as your ambient case temp. especially if your ambeint room temp is 78-80F.

you might try this as well before investing in yet another CPU cooler Osiris.

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic154727.html#post943349

Back