Partitioning a hard drive

learninmypc

I hope to make this as clear as possible. On this XP of mine, the original owner of it partitioned it into 3 separate partions.
Harddrive.jpg
Since I have NEVER used ANY partition program, it was suggested I use this one http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
well, it of course was way over my head so I managed to get the OS put on C: drive & everything went fine & its running great
BEFORE MS completely shuts XP off of support, I'd like to try get rid of partition D & I so I could have one C : drive. I have no DVD's/CD's so that is out.
I have deleted 99.999% of what was on D & I drive. All that is left is a "thing" in the recycling bin that won't leave
D17250.JPG
IF there is a program for a NOVICE user to reformat the harddrive, kindly let me know.
This is not an absolutely necessary task for me,its just an idea I've had.
Alternately, I have a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 Model:6L 100Po 100gb PATA133 HDD
I could put in if it would work.
Thanks & I hope I am clear :)

I've seen EaseUS mentioned here couple times. I've only used gparted so can't comment on this. Should be able to use Partition Master to merge all together and end up w/ just C drive.

Thank you, I'll check them out.
Their link took me to a cnet download & I don't want to get infected. Is there a cleaner download link available?

I use an administrator command window and the 'diskpart' command. I prefer it to anything in Windows and there is no need to download anything and help is available in the command window for syntax.
Open admin command window
type 'diskpart' (no quotes, just using that to show what is typed) hit enter after every command for execution
'list disk' This will show you all of your hard disks
'list volume' This will show you all your partitions
'select volume x' where x is the volume/partition you want to delete
'delete volume' Will delete the volume you selected.
At this point I would exit the command window and go into 'Computer Management-->Disk Management and expand C to fill all the empty space.
This is assuming Disk Management shows C partition as its own primary partition and D as a separate partition (doesn't matter whether extended or primary, although if extended it will have a logical partition on it and these will have to be deleted)
In a command window once volume is selected, commands are
'delete partition logical'
'delete partition extended'
now it will be free space

I'm very confused now, I clicked your link & unless I clicked someplace I shouldn't of, it took me to here http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Partition-Master-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html

where did I go wrong?

I use an administrator command window and the 'diskpart' command. I prefer it to anything in Windows and there is no need to download anything and help is available in the command window for syntax.
type 'diskpart' (no quotes, just using that to show what is typed) hit enter after every command for execution
'list disk' This will show you all of your hard disks
'list volume' This will show you all your partitions
'select volume x' where x is the volume/partition you want to delete
'delete volume' Will delete the volume you selected.
At this point I would exit the command window and go into 'Computer Management-->Disk Management and expand C to fill all the empty space.
This is assuming Disk Management shows C partition as its own primary partition and D as a separate partition (doesn't matter whether extended or primary, although if extended it will have a logical partition on it and these will have to be deleted)
An "Administer command window" how on a xp?

In XP if you are a member of the Administrator's group (running as an admin user) any command window you open will be an administrator command window. Running as an account with only user privileges I believe when you try to run any command that requires administrative rights the command window will tell you and ask for the admin password. Unless you have changed it, it should be Administrator.

It's been awhile since I have used XP, in Vista, Win 7 or Win 8 you just right click on the shortcut 'Command Prompt (admin)'

Ok, well Rabbit01 gave me a cleaner link so I'm going to try it this weekend. Thank you for the input thou.

I have no issues with using diskpart in general. But I do not like the idea of doing things to your OS partition while running that OS. It is just good practice to boot into something else to perform partition related actions on your OS partition. EaseUS Partition Master and gParted both have bootable cds/usb to do this outside your OS.

Well, I don't have any CD's/DVD's so its either not do it at all or do alot of praying I don't mess it up.
I know of nobody locally who can do this for me. You guys/gals have more experience at this than I do, so if you think I should forget it, fine.:)

The chances of it screwing up if you do it while the OS is running aren't real high. But they are certainly higher than doing it outside of Windows.

gParted will boot from a USB stick (imagine EaseUS Partition Master will too) so you aren't totally out of luck without a CD.

Actually, I think if you run EaseUS Partition Master and do the resize that way, it doesn't actually do it until a reboot. So that happens outside of the OS. I can't confirm it right now because I don't really want to resize mine just to test it for you. But I think that is what will happen. At worst case, it resizes 'hot' and you are no worse off than you would be with any hot method of doing it.

Thats comforting to know, kinda. If there was a tutorial I can view on one pc while I do it on the XP, that would be great, but.....
Thank you anyhow, I may try it.

As SNGX1275 mentioned, gparted can be booted from USB. Found a tutorial on youtube:

There are more videos. I posted link to the 1st on the list.

Well, I've viewed the above video & although I think I could do it, I think I'll be content with it as is.
Alternately,(as previously mentioned)
I have a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 Model:6L 100Po 100gb PATA133 HDD
Is that possible? I realize its only 100gb's, but ....:) If not, I'll be happy with this pc as is & thank you for your input.:) .

Well, I've viewed the above video & although I think I could do it, I think I'll be content with it as is.
Alternately,(as previously mentioned)
I have a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 Model:6L 100Po 100gb PATA133 HDD
Is that possible? I realize its only 100gb's, but ....:) If not, I'll be happy with this pc as is & thank you for your input.:) .

You mean remove the existing hard drive and use the Maxtor and install XP on it? I don't see why not, 100 GB should be enough, assuming you don't have a lot pictures/music/videos. Just need to move the jumper of the IDE drive to Master, or Cable Select.

In re-reading your first post, I'm a little confused. Did you, just recently, install XP to that? If so, you could have killed off the other partitions during the setup for XP real easy. And if you don't have much installed/invested (time wise) into that XP install, that is the way I'd recommend proceeding if you are still uncomfortable with EaseUS or gParted.

Is that how you're going to use it, as a slave drive? In that case, then no jumper.
Perhaps I should just be happy with it as is. It is operating 100% better than when I first got it, but I do appreciate your input & others, thank you.

In re-reading your first post, I'm a little confused. Did you, just recently, install XP to that? If so, you could have killed off the other partitions during the setup for XP real easy. And if you don't have much installed/invested (time wise) into that XP install, that is the way I'd recommend proceeding if you are still uncomfortable with EaseUS or gParted.
Ok, It started out as A Vista Home Premium. I think this is the original thread
I ended up putting XP Pro on it but it unfortunately it got put on I Drive which I believe is 11gb's & IE didn't work.
Then several months down the road, problems again.
This is another thread on it
So, I once again decided to try to reinstall XP but this time I managed to get it installed on the C Drive & told the individuals mother she'd be better off letting me have this XP & get her daughter a W7 since XP will be expiring in a bit over a year.
So, as of this date, it is operating better than ever. So like I told Rabbit01, I think I'll just be content with it as it is.
I do appreciate everybody's input & help. (y)

Back