PC-cillin Question

By jshields13
Jan 11, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi All! I replaced my Norton System Works on my desktop and Norton Internet Security on my Laptop with PC-cillin Internet Security 2005 this past weekend. The two computers are linked via wireless network. Prior to installing PC-cillin, I was able to share files. After, I was not. I spoke to tech support and they had me remove the firewall option in PC-cillin, saying that it is the same as the firewall built in my Linksys router. I am able to share files again, but I have a concern I thought one of you might shed some light on. The PC-cillin firewall has a setting for wireless networks. What good is that since most wireless networks use a router with firewall built-in. Also, when I take my laptop away from the network, I guess I will have to manually reinstall the firewall?

Can anyone advise me as to whether I am missing something here. It would seem to me that I should be able to use all the features that come with the software.

As always, thanks for your sage advice.
  2. The Best Alias

The Best Alias Newcomer, in training Posts: 147

The PC-cillin guys didn't tell you the exact truth, but that's OK because a router's firewall is better protection than a software firewall, though there's nothing wrong with having both.

It's been a while since I've used PC-cillin, but I think I can fake my way through this. Let's assume that your router's address is 192.168.0.1 which it prolly is. So what you have to do is set up a trusted IP range above your default gateway, or if there is only 1 other computer, a single trusted IP address (the other computer's IP) will work. So if in fact your router's inside address is 192.168.0.1, and you have more than the 2 computers who need to share files, your trusted IP range will be 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.254. If your computers are DHCPing their address from the router, this might not work though I would assume that it's issueing IP within the same subnet.
  3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

4. jshields13

jshields13 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 128

Thanks for your replies. I understand what you are saying, Alias, but I have no idea how to set up a trusted IP range. The network is working perfectly now, but without the software firewall. When I had the software firewall enabled, I did not see anyplace to enter a "trusted IP range". By the way, I only have 2 computers, the desktop and laptop, in the network.

RBS, thanks for your reply too. As I said, the basic network is in place and OK.

Thanks again.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.