Pc keeps restarting with new motherboard and cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.
i recently installed a new motherboard(Guru AV8 by ABIT) and a new cpu(AMD Athlon 64 3000+) and my pc keeps restarting while im in the middle of my game (Call of Duty). i dont believe its a driver issue b/c ive tried the new ati 4.12 driver and the older ones and they dont seem to be the problem. the restarting doesnt just occur in game but while im on the internet as well. if someone has ever had this problem or has any suggestions plz let me know. thanks.

specs:
amd athlon 64 3000+
radeon 9600 XT
.75 gig

Did you do a clean install of Windows? if not the old motherboard drivers could be causing problems. Did you install the new mobo drivers(AGP). Make sure the fans are working and make sure the processor heatsink is seated properly. Did you use thermal grease?

May want to check the PSU

Sometimes when you upgrade the mobo and the processor, people forget to check and be sure they have adequate PSU wattage. I just upgraded mine from a 300 W to a 480 W because it would take about eight or nine tries to boot up my computer. Problem solved.

Did you install the new mobo drivers(AGP).-vega, where might i get these drivers b/c i believe this is the problem.

vega,

i did a fresh install of windows. how do i uninstall the old motherboard drivers b/c i think that could be the problem. also, i downloaded a VIA Hyperion 4 in 1 driver version 455vp1. i believe this is the right driver for my motherboard if not, let me know.

thanks

p.s.- the motherboard is GURU AV8 with a VIA chipset- K8T800
cpu - amd athlon 64 3000+

There is a CD with all the drivers you need, that came with the mobo. Install them first to get you going. Afterwards you can update the VIA drivers if needed, but the ones on the CD will definitely work well.
If you installed Windows from scratch, you should not have any old drivers on it (other than perhaps old Windows-drivers).

Sure sounds like windows protection shut down
I think that board comes with CPU temp check software.
does XP have event view W2k does check there for errors occurring before shut down.
with these new video cards out there that need more power extra fans for cooling most people forget to upgrade the PS

it sounds a lot like an overheating issue.either the processor heatsink is not seated properly or something or if you have an expensive videocard like geforce 6800 or the like it might be either drawing too much power or getting overheated.you should check both of them out first.

Similar Issue

Ok this is the situation, I just bought a brand new Athlon Proc. , 1GB (2x 512) Mushkin DDR memory, and an ABIT NF7-S2G series Motherboard. I installed everything in my case. I boot and the BIOS seems to recognize both my hard drives and both my cd/dvd rom drives. It gets to where the windows loading logo appears for about half a second and then it reboots. Not once has the logo been present for more than haf a second. I have tried changing the settings around in the BIOS from fail safe to optomized etc etc and nothing works. I read that a fill windows xp wipe/install was neccessary do the the drastic hardware changes but when I try to install windows xp from the CD I get to where it says {setup is inspecting your computers hardware configuration...} then it goes to a black screen for a few minutes and then gives me this error message

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

File\i386\biosinfo.inf could not be loaded.
The error code is 32768

Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have also noticed that the first time i booted and after I clear the CMOS I get the error "CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded" note it only does this the first time after the CMOS is cleared.

I have also flashed the BIOS successfully with the latest BIOS version for my board. Following the instructions on your website perfectly and the problem has not changed.

As you can imagine I am more than frustrated and would greatly appreciate any help!!!!! Thanks A lot!

Is that a new HD or was Linux on it before?
If Linux, try this:
XP and Linux have a love-hate relationship
They love to hate each other. Linux has a hard time recognizing NTFS partitions while Windows does not recognize Linux partitions.

If you are attempting to install XP over the top of Linux then stop!! Linux creates partitions that are only recognizable by the DOS application fdisk. Fdisk allows you to view, delete, and create partitons on your computer.

Now when you try to install XP, you will notice that it does recognize the non-DOS partitions but it has a hard time dealing with them if you want to use them. Here's what you need to do.

Boot to a DOS floppy. Then run fdisk (type 'fdisk' no quotes) select the option to delete partitions (3 I think). When it asks which to delete, select the first non-DOS partition. Then repeat the process until all non-DOS partitions are gone. Rebot the machine, boot to the XP CD as you have done before and attempt to install the software again.

If you are going to just play around and experiement with Linux, I highly suggest you create a dual-boot system. The Linux manual will better assist you with this.

PC Restarting

My PC will just restart by its self regardless of what you're doing. Just recently built it and the specs are:

ADM 64 3500+
Gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP-939 nForce3 Ultra (Socket 939) Motherboard
OCZ 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 Dual Channel Platinum Series
PowerColor ATI Radeon X800 XT PE 256MB DDR3
Maxtor 7200 RPM 8 Mb Cache
MSI DVD RW
Antec True Blue PSU 480W

Dont know what is causing it. It will probably do it around twice a day and its driving me mad! I have tried so many things. Please Help!!!!

Thanks

Mark

there could be a lot of things causing it. for reasons like this is why i stay away from AMD, all of the problems seem to occur on AMD based systems.

keep the box open when running machine,get big fan and let it blow on the whole insides
try running a program that uses a lot of CPU power
if it does not reboot get some more fans
One of my machines has a very nice cooling setup
there is no fan on heat sink ,has the MB mounted with cpu right next to large fan very quiet.
AMD's are imfamous for over heating

the problem is there may not be adiquete cooling or enuff power. try running it w/o any optical drives plugged in.

another problem is no one really stated if its a clean install of windows in regards to P2PGURU4U.

one thing to keep in mind is stock AMD CPU fans suck big time. my moms computer did the same thing. i couldnt touch the heatsink w/o being burned pretty badly. and this was after it had been shut down for about 10 minutes. so take a look at some thermaltake fans or if you can afford it take the huge leap into watercooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back