PlayStation 3 hacking lawsuit delayed already

Emil

Staff

Sony's legal attacks against the hackers that released the PlayStation 3 root key and custom firmware have hit a snag. San Francisco District Court Judge Susan Illston does not agree with Sony's argument that California courts have jurisdiction due to the use of a Paypal account and George Hotz, also known as GeoHot, agreeing to the Terms of Service on the PlayStation Network. As a result, the ruling on where the case should be tried has been pushed back, and there is no time frame for a decision.

"If having a PayPal account were enough [for California to have jurisdiction], then there would be personal jurisdiction in this court over everybody, and that just can't be right," Illston said, according to GamesIndustry. "That would mean the entire universe is subject to my jurisdiction, and that's a really hard concept for me to accept." She suggested that the case might need to be tried in New Jersey, Hotz's home state and where he actually committed the hack.

Delays this soon are not good news for Sony, especially given that the company has asked for a temporary restraining order to keep the hacks off the Internet. The entertainment giant also wants the computer equipment used to crack the system and create the firmware, as well as monetary damages.

The above video is an episode of AOTS (Attack of the Show) where Geohot appeared live and talked about the Sony lawsuit. He made it very clear that his jailbreak doesn't enable piracy; all that it does is allow anyone to run unsigned homebrew apps for the first time on their PS3s. When asked "what exactly the issue is, what are you being sued for here?" he replied "for making Sony mad."

Permalink to story.

I hope he wins. Whether this activity leads to increased piracy or not (although he stated that his hack does not allow for pirated games), I hate that the idea that a corporation still owns something that I have paid hard money for.

Honestly, I'm unsure if George's work is related to the sudden deluge of hackers on PSN. If he is responsible for it, I hope Sony wins. If I wanted something that was prone to hacking, I would have bought a computer for my gaming. Instead, I bought a PS3.
According to the hacking community, I should just be OK with the fact that a hacker can render useless over $1000 worth of property in my home, because he's got a fantastic idea. I couldn't care less if a hacker has a beef with a manufacturer... but stop forcing the rest of the world to deal with the mess they are causing. And don't bother with the line about "proving a point". If a hacker finds a flaw in security and exploits it, they are a criminal, nothing more.

To the Guest above.. so you hope that someone gets sued because something they did, might potentially piss you off? Muppet.

This was always about Linux OS, if you bought a Sony CD player with a tape deck and sony came round to your house and told you you could not use the tape deck anymore would you let them? The fact that they can facelessley do this over the internet does not make it any less intrusive, so yea, he has total right to bust the machine open and gain functionallity again.

So by your logic, guest above... again. Is that the inventor of the stethoscope is responsible for any crimes (safe cracking) wher a stethoscope was used, even though this was not the original purpose of the device?

Which is a bad analagy really because the stethoscope did not have a built in safe guard to stop it being used as a safe cracking device, like this hack.

Yeah Baby! firmware 3.60 and beyond cannot come soon enough, I hope it bricks every jailbroken console out there and does away with username accounts and DLC, to hell with the F@ggL@@ggers who want to ruin it for everyone else, there are already reports of CFW bricking consoles especially the slim, yeah! woohoo, now Sony can start making money repairing all those damaged consoles, I think it’s like what $150 bucks, yeah! get ready to pay douchebags yeah! long live Sony and its products.

from sonyyoco

Dear anyone who thinks this lawsuit should go in Sonys favour. Please turn yourself in at the local police station if you have done any of the following two acts.

1, Listened to a friends Ipod
2, Loaned a DVD to a friend

Thankyou

just like i said before, sony just want to show the world they have authority over the consoles.

and just like the hdmi key, there is no legal basis to sue you releasing a key. it is how you use the key that will have substance in the court.

bring back other OS feature and everyone would be happy sony.

He wasn't trying to prove a point, Sony released an update which disabled some sort of functionality, he wanted it back, he know how to do it and so he did.

I cant believe you *****s are cool with geohot allowing for our favorite pastime to be destroyed. Jesus what has this world come to. This is the way of the world. Try buying a house and thinking you can do whatever you want to it without getting permits first or checking with your association and seeing if it's legal. You cant!!!!!!! So why are you so up and arms about buying a ps3 and thinking you have the right to do whatever you want outside of the reason they made it.

The fact is, you really don't own anything you buy. You only own the right to use it AS IT WAS INTENDED, and stated in the contract you signed at purchase. I'm fine with something that only has an effect on an individual?s property, but when it affects mine, that makes me mad. Sony Isn't just fighting for themselves, they're fighting for their legitimate customers.

This guy is definitely at fault because this information allows hackers to not only create harmless software, but software that allows them to have an unfair advantage in online games, illegally profit, or untold mischief.

Sales of the PS3 will probably drop because of this and Sony has every right to seek reimbursement. I hope Sony wins big.

"I hope Sony wins. Aiding in piracy is the same as piracy."
Someone didn't read the article:
He made it very clear that his jailbreak doesn't enable piracy; all that it does is allow anyone to run unsigned homebrew apps for the first time on their PS3s.

"So by your logic, guest above... again. Is that the inventor of the stethoscope is responsible for any crimes (safe cracking) wher a stethoscope was used, even though this was not the original purpose of the device?

Which is a bad analagy really because the stethoscope did not have a built in safe guard to stop it being used as a safe cracking device, like this hack."

++++++++

hope he gets 10years in jail its bs people buy this stuff to play online and some **** hacks it and makes games unplayable **** him he ruins games and costgame makers money

they own the online network u run off thats what he is ruined online gaming

I'm setting here right now running in safe mode and running malwarebytes trying to get spyware or some kind of virus off my computer as I type this and I hope that Sony wins and maybe that will start to teach ******* hackers and virus makers that if they screw with coputer stuff just to see if they can do it or if they can send a virus out there to screw peoples PCs up for fun there ***' will go to jail or never have anything in life again and thats the problem they don't have a life *******

As a PS3 owner and someone who buys games legitimately but doesn't use the PSN i have no really opinion on this matter, but just for kicks i will side with Geohot, on this forum he could use the help. I usually only see this type of passion when it comes to Apple Fanboys.

Its these little battles that is going to define the better ones. Sure you console gamers think this will introduce hacks, cheating and piracy but, If Sony wins, what is going to stop other industries from "locking down" their products. What if car makers adopt this strategy and say "You can only buy Firestone tires and you you can't put (using a popular music genre) Rap CDs in our CD players"? Far fetched i agree but, entirely possible nonetheless. What if screwdriver makers made licensing that said "You may not use our product to open paint can lids"? Again, it probably won't happen but entirely possible.

There is a bigger picture. If you like companies telling you how to use products that you spent your hard earned money to buy, then by all means, enjoy, but when non-software companies start infringing on your life, don't start whining about it.

I'm siding with GeoHotz, he states clearly that he does not support piracy. All he has done is enabled the use of unsigned codes on a ps3. It's not like this will cost Sony money, I mean seriously how can it? The only thing it can do is increase the sales of the ps3.

I'm really hoping GeoHot does well here. I for one, wouldn't mind being able to install Linux on my PS3 again or even a few emulators, so I can do a bit of retro gaming or even play a few Japanese PC games, made for a controller on my PS3.
He's already stately quite clearly that made every effort to ensure that his hack does not open up the PS3 for piracy, so I don't understand why so many people are getting hot about it and using piracy as an excuse to berate him.

How naive do you have to be to take George Hotz's claim at face value? I hope he's got enough brain (outside of computer stuff) to put on more public statement without a lawyer's help. The usual out come after these type of lawsuit is that he and his family is going to go through legal hell for the duration of the lawsuit. Most likely several years. He's still going to loose a lot in real life weather he win or loose this lawsuit.

I think what Sony is doing is absolutely ridiculous. I bought a product, and now I can't do what I want with it?

What's next? Is Microsft going to jump on-board, and say I can't make my own programs?
Is Apple going to say I can't download anything that isn't from Apple on a Mac?
Is Linux going to be illegal entirely?

Will it be illegal to put a different kind of tire on my car then what came with it?
How far is this going to go, people? I mean honestly.

Back