Porsche and Lucasfilm partner on new Star Wars ship

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Porsche might be well-known for its expensive sports cars, but it seems the German automaker’s talents aren’t limited to earth-bound vehicles. To promote the upcoming Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker, it teamed up with Lucasfilm to design a starfighter: the Tri-Wing S-91 Pegasus.

Sadly, the Pegasus isn’t an actual, flyable ship. In reality, it’s a five-foot-long scale model that uses some elements found in Porsche’s cars. The company’s chief designer, Michael Mauer, said: “The design of the spaceship is harmoniously integrated into the Star Wars film world while at the same time demonstrating clear analogies with the characteristic Porsche styling and proportions.”

The ship’s cabin and overall shape copy the Porsche 911, and the front-end’s headlight clusters and air intakes are inspired by the Taycan EV. The interior sports seats, meanwhile, mimic those from the 918 Spyder, and the rear has Porsche’s light bar.

“The very compact layout conveys dynamism and agility, lending emphasis to the Porsche design features,” added Mauer.

It appears that Lucasfilm’s contribution included adding a section for an astromech droid behind the cockpit and giving the whole ship a slightly worn, Star Wars aesthetic.

While the ship won’t appear in the upcoming movie, TechCrunch writes that it’s intended to feature in narrative Star Wars content.

Porsche will be showing off the similarities between the Tri-Wing S-91 Pegasus and the Taycan EV when it displays them both at the Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker premiere in Los Angeles later this month.

Permalink to story.

Looks like we may have reached peak sellout and they didn't even achieve their goal, LOL. Nothing about this ship says Porche other than the fact it looks like it wouldn't immediately rip apart at high speeds in an atmosphere. Also, no Star Wars ship would ever be named after a figure from Earthly mythology. But that's all irrelevant because Disney has proven that you can slap a name that invokes memories of better times on utter garbage and people will still eat it up. The fact that you can buy off or threaten most of the critics into supporting it makes the mouse empire's victory all the more certain.

Now that's more my style (don't care about the branding). The only thing this article is missing is a front end angle like:
low_fantasy_starship_star_wars_tri_wing_s_91x_pegasus_starfighter_2019_porsche_ag_5.jpg

Why is it a tri-wing, where is the 3rd wing?
I presume this "ship" is meant for flying within an atmosphere. All the thrust is pointing rearwards with seemingly no way to thrust to the sides (left, right, up, down).
See the Spacedock youtube channel for how to design a proper space-based fighter, with the Babylon 5 fighter being the classic example of how to do it right.

When you combine the extended tail and droid cockpit, with the very wide flattened nose, it almost looks like the fuselage is on backwards.

If you see my point:

961px-X-29_in_Banked_Flight.jpg

Last edited:
Why is it a tri-wing, where is the 3rd wing?
I presume this "ship" is meant for flying within an atmosphere. All the thrust is pointing rearwards with seemingly no way to thrust to the sides (left, right, up, down).
See the Spacedock youtube channel for how to design a proper space-based fighter, with the Babylon 5 fighter being the classic example of how to do it right.
Maybe they mean the butt as the 3rd wing :p

And this is Starwars. The ships are expected to have a "gravity drive" (what I'm calling it) to maneuver the ship in space or atmosphere.
Have you seen the ships take off in Starwars? None of them "obey the laws of physics" in their takeoffs and landings...

Considering that Porsche doing basically same car since beginning of the Universe, I bet it'll have classic 911 front with all 'exciting' bits happening behind front headlights. :D

Porsche-Wing anyone? LOL 911 in space

"Sadly, the Pegasus isn’t an actual, flyable ship."
---------------------------------------------------------------

Are you sure about that?

Looks like it was designed to magically turn up at an airshow one day to wow the sheep

I say it will fly!

Back