Possible DPC lag. Sound cracking/static.

By rthompson4
Apr 9, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hello, Im having an issue with sound interference. I have been getting an annoying, loud buzzing sound from my speakers on my monitor When I connect the green AV cables and continues to make the sound regardless if i mute the system. I think it may be DPC latency from what I have seen others post about.

I've tried several things such as: disabled my Mic, moved any phones that were close by away, take out power to the TV and other electronics, but still no help.

I have A VIZIO 32' M320NV. and a Viewsonic Monitor. I'm pretty sure the problem isn't either the TV or monitor because I get the same interference when I connect speakers to the PC.

My Specs for my PC are

Sabertooth x58Mobo
    Intel 17 970
    1 Geforce GTX 570
    16gigs of DDR3 Ram

I have had this issue for a year now. ASUS does nothing for me and refers me nowhere. I have tried everything from RMAing my board, trying different drivers, disabling intel speed step, getting an independent sound card, ect. If someone could please help me figure this out, it would make my life alot easier. It is too much to hear that static come from the monitor whenever I boot something up that requires the system to work (ex) starting an online game up).

2. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

That hum is usually caused by a bad grounding wire probably inside your speakers.
  3. rthompson4

rthompson4 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Ive used several speakers, same thing with all the speakers.

Pretty sure this is a DPC problem. However all the application that are screwing up are associated with Microsoft.
  4. rthompson4

Bump. Need help, Im going to throw this computer out the window if I have to listen to this piercing static noise any longer
  5. rthompson4

Can I possibly buy a new soundcard to remedy this? I remember buying a cheap USB one, and the problem still persisted.

Sound static does NOT go away with nvidia HD audio devices uninstalled and realtek drivers disabled or uninstalled. Even with sound muted you can still hear the static.
  6. fimbles

fimbles TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,195   +105

If the noise persists even with your soundcard disabled and your system muted its probably a grounding problem as cinders said.

If the problem happens with other speakers aswell i would start to look for motherboard grounds, loose cables, cards.

Double check you have the correct drivers.

Hope this helps.
  7. rthompson4

Everything is grounded correctly. Wires are in place and cards are installed correctly. Still get DPC Latency
  8. fimbles

fimbles TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,195   +105

Dpc latency is usually pops, clicks and crackles and is intermittent.
  9. rthompson4

And thats the kind of sound I am getting. I am even using the a LatencyMonitor to see if there is DPC latency, and there is. Mostly from ATAPORT.sys and NDIS.SYS. I've updated all the drivers, rewired my PC as recommended, and reseated the mobo. Everything is in place, but I just cant figure out whats causing this. Could it be RAM? Ive tried different GPUs with the same results. The lag seems to subside when I do tasks such as installations and what not.
  10. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,325   +95

I had the same problem a year ago. Turned out to be the power strip I was using to plug my computer to.
  11. rthompson4

Sooo I should get a better powerstrip? I plugged it into multiple sources wtih the same outcome
  12. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,325   +95

I would give it a shot. I bought one with a built in ground. Just for computers. A Little more money but worth it.
  13. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

What devices are located close to your computer? Many times a fan or an electric motor will broadcast a interference that can be heard on speakers.

14. bluebob951

bluebob951 TechSpot Member Posts: 66

It's a grounding, or electrical interference. You can try to get a insulated cable for the speaker wire, or insulate it yourself using conductive tape an wrap it around the entire cable length. You can also do what cobalt suggested, a better surge protector might help a little, also you might want to try plugging it directly into the wall for cleaner power. Also make sure the mobo is fully seated to the case using standoffs for grounding. I had the same problem with my front headphone ports, it ended up being wireless interference from a nearby wifi card, also cell phone interference is also possible. Just a few things that you might want to try.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.