Possible new Sandy Bridge build

Rory725

I'm basically after best bang for the buck so is this worth it?

CPU £180 i5 2500k
Mobo £120 Asus p8p67
Ram £45 Cosair vengeance 4gb
Case £90 antec 902
Hard drive £50 Western Digital 640GB Caviar Black SATA 7200rpm
Psu £***? not sure what I would need.

If you have any recommendations please say. If Ur wondering about gpu, I'll just bring my current 9800gtx+ accross, maybe get a nvidia Kepler when they're released.

Thanks, Rory

The 2500K is about the best bang-for-buck CPU around at the moment- that shouldn't change for the foreseeable future (future revisions/multiplier bumps notwithstanding) since I doubt AMD will be pricing their new kit for the mainstream market.
As for the board, virtually all the mainstream boards offer near enough the same performance levels (overclocking, layout, cooling etc.) and near identical feature set (single Realtek 8111E Gb LAN, ALC892 audio codec, single PCIE x16 slot-usually with a second slot limited to x4 and sharing bandwidth with the PCIE x1 slots and/or SATA 6Gb/USB 3.0, average accessory bundles etc.) The Asus board should be fine and carries a three year warranty.

As for PSU, your computer build- too me- is a little a*s backwards. I would always start out with the best PSU I could afford (and is available) in the power envelope the build would need. If you're definitely NOT looking to upgrade your graphics card then something in the 500w range is ample, if however you think you could be swayed into buying an upper-mainstream (or better) card then 600-650w might be worth considering. Bear in mind that using dual cards is a non-starter with the board you've chosen.

BTW: If you're looking for recommendations on parts (PSU?) then you should probably include some info regarding who you're likely to be shopping with (local, etail- Scan etc...- I presume you're in the UK)

Seems like a good purchase. As for the PSU, it depends whether you plan further upgrades on this build in the near future. If you do, then look for something around in the 650W and upward range. Else a Corsair 550VX or similar PSU would do great.

Thanks guys, I'll probably go for a 600/650 watt psu, i don't want to have to change my psu due to an upgrade of a gpu so what do you think would be a good model to buy and what brand for psus?

Would a corsair tx650 be sufficient? Also, is there any other psus like the tx650 which have modular cabling and not that much more expensive?

Would it be worth the extra £10 or so to go for the hx750 instead of the hx650? The hx750 has 10 amps more on the 12v rail (62) or would 52 be enough to future proof it for about 7 years (that's how long the warranty is, so I don't plan to get another until it breaks after 7 years).

The 650w should be ample. Having said that, if the extra £10 isn't a problem I'd spring for thwe 750w. Power supplies become less efficient as they age, losing a fraction of their rated output along the way. Having a higher rated PSU gives you a little more future-proofing and a few more options should you decide to go with higher performing graphics cards.

Ok, im thinking of postponing the build till the summer, how much do you think the components would be reduced by then and would there be any new technologies then. Anyone reckon the new nvidia graphics cards will be released by then or will they be christmas time?

The last i read was that both next gen Vga's (7000 AMD and 600 Nvidia) if thats what they are calling them are due out by Christmas this year. if that works out to be true (don't put money on it) then it will probably be the best time to get closeout pricing on the 6000/500 series.

Back