Problem installing Medieval 2 Gold Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlman87

hi,

could somebody plz help, i am unable to install Medieval 2 gold edition.
i insert disc, and installation screen appears i accept licensing agreement, select features to install, click install, then for 30 seconds or so it is as if the dvd drive is reading the disc then an error comes up

"Medieval II Total War:Gold has failed to install Medieval II: Total War. Aborting Installation"

can somebody plz help me, it would be much appreciated

thanks

What operating system do you have? WIndows XP,Vista, etc.???

Can you post your computer specifications?

Can you install other games fine?

thanks for the reply.
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 512MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c

yes i have been playing the first medieval all week an it has worked fine, plus i have been burning things with my dvd burner and works fine too

Do you have the program CCLEANER? If not, go to the techspot downloads page and download it. Run the registry cleaner from that program, backing up the changes (it will ask you to do this) and then try.

ok i ran the ccleaner registry cleaner and backed up the files and it still does the same thing, so frustrating because i really want to play this game. by the way i took the game back to the store i bought it from and swapped it for another thinking it may be the disc, but no, same problem, im really hoping u have some more ideas lol, i really want to play this game, ur help is much appreciated

That should be good enough, so it is something to do with your computer.
I can offer no more advice, hopefully mailpup will be able to help you further.

Most of the time this is a bad or dirty disc, but can also be caused by an incompatible dvd/cd drive or worn/problematic dvd/cd drive.

Start by first making sure the CD is clean and has no smudges, fingerprints or other debris. Cleaning the disk (and there are lots of websites on how to properly clean CD's) will usually result in success.

If this does not do it, and you have plenty of free disk space, try copying the entire CD to your computer first, then installing from there. You can usually grab the entire CD and copy it to a folder.. let this take several minutes to copy, then run the setup program from that folder. You may get errors during the copy which would also alert you to a bad disk or bad cd/dvd drive.

Sharkfood, I cannot believe I didn't hink about that. You are 100% right. I tend to forget that drives can have problems.

tried what u said, when copying the cd an errors keeps coming up. the disc looks ok, but i dont think its the disc though because i brought it back to the strore i bought it and got another one and the same error keeps coming up when trying to install, so like u said it may be a bad dvd drive, how can i check that?

Trial and error. You can try the game disk on another computer to see if it will install. If it does, it would point to the DVD drive as being bad. Also, you never mentioned if you had this trouble with any other DVD. Perhaps this is the first DVD game (as opposed to CD game) you've tried to install.

As a longshot but it costs nothing to check, go to the Device Manager and then to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Check the channel the DVD drive is connected to and see if the transfer mode has changed to from DMA or UDMA to the slower PIO mode.

If that isn't it, I would consider replacing the drive. They do go bad from time to time and they aren't all that expensive.

no i have played many dvd games.

"go to the Device Manager and then to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Check the channel the DVD drive is connected to and see if the transfer mode has changed to from DMA or UDMA to the slower PIO mode"

call me stupid but i dont know how to do this, could u give me step by step instructions, thanks heaps mate

Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Your DVD drive will be connected to either the Primary or Secondary IDE channel. Check them all to make sure none are on the PIO transfer mode. Right click on a channel, select Properties and click on the Advanced Settings tab.

I have a feeling that this is not the problem but it doesn't hurt to check and eliminate this as a possibility.

so sorry about the late reply, i have checked them both, and they both say they are on dma "if available". but neither say anything about dvd or being connected to the dvd, not sure if it is supposed to.

so guys what is your advice?

thank you all for your help so far

If you take this same game DVD or CD and can install it fine in another PC, then I would say something is wrong with your DVD/CD drive.

thats weird because it reads that the game is there and brings up the game menu and give the option to install. so frustrating

How many drives do you have again? If 2 try both (duh), and if one then try borrowing one from somebody.

i have one dvd and one normal disc drive.

i think i have given up, soon ill buy a new dvd drive and try it then

thanks everyone for ur help. ill keep checking the post so if anybody comes up with an idea on how to fix the problem plz post, it would be much appreciated

thanks

The problem for you is that you dont have a Dual Layer DVD ROM. Gold Edition Requires that because there are only two DVD:s on the Gold Edition. I mean only for the Medieval 2 there were two DVD:s. The problem i got is to choose where to install it, that i cant do... Default is C.. But i want to install it on another drive.. Well well hope this solved your problem because thats the only solution I got for you!

Sweet kisses

Please help

I just bought medieval ii total war and when i insert the disk it won't even show up. I play other games and the work fine. It acts like it's not recognizing the disk. It is brand new. I have 512 mb, amd sempron3200 processor. Any ideas. Maybe my computer needs updated. I have xp also. Thought i'd give this a try before trying to reurn the game. Thx :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back