Proplem with norton anti virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi im Having proplems norton anti virus
Basicly when i try to open the program's it closes itself see it for a brief second the it disapears. Also when i try to go on to sym antec website they are auto maticly closed. As well as this the taskmanger process tab is blank. When i firt do ctrl alt dlt it show for a micro second then disapears. My internet conection also seems to have gone (having to use A lap top). This all happend within a space of 1 hour, im guessing it a virus. i had a look at some other theads mentioning avirus called lirva which sounds like the same proplem i have however i dowloaded a check for this and it came back negative. Is there any solootion to this proplem.
(only way i can download things is by using the laptop then transfering it to the pc,since the laptop on a 56k modem big downloads arnt realy a option)
My pc knowleage is poor at best so if im making no sense sorry :(
Has any one got a clue as to what i should do?.
Thx in advance

Try the instructions that "realblackstuff" mentioned..........I would suggest you to get rid of "Norton Antivirus". As I have used Norton for couple of years and know that their products are nothing but problematic. I would recommend either "Anti-Vir" or "AVG" antivirus. Both are free and work like a charm....... Also, Do you have firewall on your computer. If not i would suggest you to get one. You can try Zone Alarm............it is free and works pretty good.

Thx for the info cwsherreder found the coolseach virus. However i cant load safe mood on my pc it was working before the proplem started but now when i try to load it it comes up with multi(0)disk(o)rdisk........ about 20-30 times then freezes. Also the coolseachkiller cant find the virus so i cant open hijackthis( auto close like norton)
Do you have to be in safe mood to get rid of cool seach. If so Does any one know how i can or do i need to reinstall windows

You have to do everything in safe mode, follow the instructions EXACTLY.
Try renaming hijackthis.exe to something like "ballgame.exe", it might fool whatever trojan or virus you have.

Well thx for the info. However no matter what i do i can not get hijack this to start. tried changing its name folder names etc. I manged to get safe mode back after reintalling windows for a bit but now it ether comes up with Multi(0)disk........... or if just freezes. Im almost 100% certian i have the coolseach thing cwsheeder finds it and spybot/adware. is there anyway i can completly clear the harddrive to get rid of the virus. or will it just come back?.
Also ive copied some work i need onto a cd. will a virus checker with the lasted updates (McAffe) be able to spot the virus and block it?

If your McAfee CD is bootable, run a full scan from the CD, even if the definitions are out of date. You may get lucky.

Going a step further, take the HD out and stick it as Slave in another PC. Do all the virus-scanning, Adaware, Spybot etc. from there. HJT would not work, because it is not running your (old misbehaving) system. But CWShredder might, if you direct it to the right drive.
I don't have that experience though, but you can't go much wrong.
Do NOT copy anything from that infected drive onto the test-system, you might infect that as well.

You can check that burned CD with any AV-program. If files are infected, it should find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back